Avon and Somerset will not allow mentoring

I've just got my FAC and was told to get a deer calibre I had to do a DSC1 too. Mentoring has been removed which is a bit of a shame - but the FLO offered me the contact details of some local shooters. Luckily I met some really nice chaps from the local meet from here who offered a hand :)

​I'd ask, someone is bound to be able to help

I've just got my FAC and was told to get a deer calibre I had to do a DSC1 too. Mentoring has been removed which is a bit of a shame - but the FLO offered me the contact details of some local shooters. Luckily I met some really nice chaps from the local meet from here who offered a hand :)

​I'd ask, someone is bound to be able to help
This is what really grinds my gears!! There is no legal requirement for the dsc course at all!!

This is what really grinds my gears!! There is no legal requirement for the dsc course at all!!

To be fair it is another barrier to entering the sport with it's cost. However having done it, I have to say it was loads of fun and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is a complete novice.

​Shame it had to real gralloch though!

To be fair it is another barrier to entering the sport with it's cost. However having done it, I have to say it was loads of fun and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is a complete novice.

​Shame it had to real gralloch though!
I'm not knocking the course itself just the police making up rules as they go along ! Ask them to show you in home office guidelines where it says u need dsc level 1 to get a deer calibre .....

PUSC if you don't mind me asking how dis it work without a mentor?
Did you have previous experience and if so how much and how did you prove it?
I have hust applied for my fac so am just wondering what is likely to happen if mentoring has been removed.

PUSC please expand. I have open certificate deer calibre rifle but the police will not allow me to mentor my son, will not allow hin to put my .223 on his cert so I cannot teach him to use it. Utter madness he has been out stalking/foxing with me for several years and has probaly forgotten more than I learnt on my centre fire/fox control course.

What did youe FEO say/advise?

D

Back