Muntjac buck - full shoulder mount; who to use and how much to pay [East Anglia]

KBar1970

Afternoon all

Anyone in East Anglia recently had a Buck mounted, and if so who did you use and what did they want for the work? Were you pleased with their work?

PM if you will please.

Many thanks in advance

Howard Bennett who lives near Norwich had a display at Holkham a couple of years ago and looked good. Quoted £200 for a Roe. 01603 897178.

Best muntjac I've seen done are by Colin dunton (Wiltshire).
I had a good buck done by Bennett and I've sold it as it just looked too much like a jack Russell.
I think three of the big estates here use Colin for their reds and muntys.

and why it ended up on ebay!!! One plus side was that it did make a little profit to put towards good taxidermy!

Which brings us back to the original question. Realistically, how much is a decent shoulder mount of a small deer, i.e. a muntjac, CWD or roe? Is size actually a consideration in terms of costs?

be well worth giving Claire Fowler (freedom taxidermy) a call or email, I think a small deer is around £275-£350 but don't quote me, and her work is second to non in my humble opinion.....

I think including VAT anything below £500 is fair.
There is an awful lot of work involved in making something look good, and if they are altering forms or making forms to make the trophy look like the beast you actually shot there is a even more cost to them.

You want Steve Newcombe mate, he won 2nd place with one at the 2012 world taxidermy show.

The best I've seen.

Also I'm sure he has just sculpted a new muntjac form.
He's steve109 on here.
Cheers
Adrian

Seen a lot of crappy taxidermy recently around the country. My money is on Paul Taylor in Dorset or Dunton in Wilts.

Freeze it and send over night before 10am delivery.

Many thanks all; responses much appreciated
He's not the biggest buck, but an unusal head all the same

KBs Muntjac Buck 26 August 2013 [Close Up].jpg

I can recommend G J Knight Taxidermy who did a shoulder mount of a MJ Buck a couple of years ago. Very realistic and animated so that it didn't look like it had run through the wall.
web site is Taxidermy Essex, taxidermist G J Knight offers a taxidermy service to stuff and mount animals.
He's not that far away either being based in Burnham on Crouch, Essex, CM0 8ET.

THATS the fella :D could I remember his name? I saw his work at the Essex YFC show in May this year (and the past few years before that) as we parade our beagles there...will have a look, as was impressed by his deer mounts (and his brace of otters is perhaps the best piece I've seen in a long while)

Back