New 243 on a budget

Which new budget rifle, if any?

• Total voters

karlbird

Gents,

I have had a look at previous threads and have a good idea of what is recommended in secondhand rifles.

My question/poll relates to what is better in new rifles at the cheap end of the scale. I see Howa 1500s, Wetherbys (made by Howa?) and the cheaper Remingtons (SPS for <£600) are all in my budget, which I am looking around the £800 mark to include scope (probably an 8 x 56 Hawke or something, I am not a scope tart) and mod.

My local RFD has both Wetherby and Howa available in budget (but none in at the moment to try for size) with mod and scope but I wonder am I better getting something secondhand, I am not averse to SH rifles, I have a few already, but I have been told that 243s tend to only get sold when there is something wrong with them. Obviously not entirely true, and the man is trying to sell a new gun, but it makes you wonder.

I would be interested in what you think. Oh, and its for fox and deer.

Last edited:
plenty. this is an easy one Sir.

look at a 2nd hand Tikka M55, or 595 or T3. with a fixed Zeiss, swaro nova or S&B 6x40 ish or 7x50 ish scope.

I would also seriously consider an almost new CZ550 + one of the above scopes.

all would be a great setup.

I agree totally with the cz550, fantastic rifle, nothing shabby about them at all, and well worth spending the money on optics, you don't have to be a 'tart' but good basic german optics would be better than a hawke hands down, and plenty are available second hand.

Edit:
Should have added, really ought to go for a mans calibre though, not a little girly .243.......
:stir:

I am having enough trouble getting the 243 at the moment, mainly as my permission is currently foxing, but thats a different story. It is because of that that I now have a 223 slot that I don't want to fill as it would mean upgrading shortly. I'll see what Lincs Police say now I have moved to their area.

An almost unaminous vote for secondhand though, I will get looking once I (hoepfully) get my variation approved.

If I was after a budget combination I would choose a s/h CZ 601 or 550 and a s/h S&B Hungarian 6 x 42 scope.
atb Tim

As your in the south west suggest you go up to Ladds in Crediton and then Blue Fox Glade (about 10 miles up the road). They should sort you out.

D

Well from your list I'd probably go for the Howa, my friend has one in .308 and he's pleased with it. BUT, if I was in your situation, I'd be on the lookout for a nice clean used Tikka T3 . Might be worth seeing what Ivythorn Sporting has in as they're not that far from you.

Back