Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game farm size and fenced areas

Game farm size and fenced areas

Following on from another thread, what do people think about the size of fenced hunting areas in Africa? I personally know a few deer stalkers who've visited to be shocked at just how much of the countries fauna lives behind fences, and this creates an impression to some that there are only 'canned hunting' opportunities out there. Some areas are large, very large, so large that they contain self sustaining populations of species exhibiting natural behaviour, including running for the hills as soon as they see humans, all ideal for true hunters.
    But do you have a minimum size area that you'd prefer to use if hunting a particular species?

Do you wish some outfitters were more transparent about the size of their game farms when considering where to visit?

How do you feel about 'put and take' game farms where animals are bought to be hunted and simply replaced when shot?

Is it something you consider of great importance when deciding where to hunt, or are you not really bothered?

Does the whole concept of a fenced area either put you off or entice you to hunt in Africa?

Puts me right off to be honest. Especially seeing programmes about animal relocation where it's clearly movement of stock for hunting in others contained reserves.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    Puts me right off to be honest. Especially seeing programmes about animal relocation where it's clearly movement of stock for hunting in others contained reserves.
    Can you elaborate? Which programmes made those claims?

That is why i no longer hunt in South Africa and prefer true wilderness such as Mozambique. SA has its place and would recommend it to get a feel for Africa but some ranches are too small and many areas contain non indigenous farmed animals.

The mistake is to expect SA to be a big empty wilderness. It is not - it's quite densely settled and the land is (mainly) privately owned. Farmers/ranchers/game farmers quite reasonably put up fences to contain thier stock (domestic and otherwise). To expect them not to do this is as unrealistic as expecting farmers in the UK not to put fences up to keep their cattle in.

It's all about expectation management: if you expect it to be the Great African Dream, and that you will be tramping out across endless empty veldt teaming with wildlife, you will be disappointed.

Its all about the purse and expectation.

A taste of Africa if thats all you can afford in a fenced environment is better than no taste atall in this lifetime.

Its big money for big animals yet compare a reasonably priced trophy or cull package on a farm out there and if you pick the right offer you may not see a fence atall .

There's loads of stalkers on here paying good money to be taken out on small patches of permission, fences everywhere.. Its only a big deal if you want it to be...

Like everything in life the old days are gone and the credibility of any hunt is best provided by word of mouth...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

The last two hunts I've done have certainly NOT put me off, the areas are huge compared to the U.K. the last 40k to the concession I go to is off a normal made up road, as we know in the U.K., then once on the farm boundary, its a 20-30 minute drive to the lodge, in 10 days I don't see headlights in the distance, any glow from the nearest small hamlet that's 25 k in the another direction, just pure pitch black darkness. The stars and nebulars are amazing at times, the evening star rises and is vived. There are historic fences, many on cliff edges to stop animals falling over, and of course boundary fences with neighbours to keep cattle in or off, the game will just go through them. If you think that hunting concessions have tame animals then you haven't been to the right places, every animal I've taken has been fair game, when the first shot is taken, you have seconds to take another B4 the area is emptied of game, all marching upwards to the heights for safety. Anything other than hard hunting is not for me, I've earned every animal that has fallen to me by guile and sheer hard work, anything less you can keep, I'm sure there is canned hunting out there for the man with money in his pocket and no balls in his trousers. I've heard about it in the U.K. and I'm aware its worldwide, where wealthy hunters fly in are shown an animal that's been kept in certain areas by feeding, he walked round a bit shown the animal shoots it, then flies home, but my hunting has all been ethical and earned the hard way. deerwarden.

Where ever you hunt in South Africa these days you will nearly always find it is fenced. This is even the case in parts of Zambia and Zimbabwe as well.

Having hunted most of SA in the past, and also Botswana and Zimbabwe, I can tell you that there is a world of difference as a rule between fenced and unfenced hunting. But this also depends on the size of the fenced area. This may be a huge area, 40,000 to 100,000 acres. In these cases it is as natural hunting as one could wish for and can be good value and well run.

However we do seem to see a large amount of rack em stack em hunts as I call them, which are nothing more than shooting game inside a small area of 2000 acres or even less. These hunts are fine for those that want to drive around and see all four fences in the first day, but not for me I am afraid. It is really put and take, nothing more, some people in the past have even sold Lion and Leopard hunts on these places and they are canned hunts. This was mostly in the past and hopefully it has now been eradicated by the government and PHASA.

I know I have been lucky to have experienced many places without fences and two under canvas, but small fenced areas are NOT an Africa experience in my opinion.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Can you elaborate? Which programmes made those claims?

Apologies but I can't recall the programme as it was a couple of years ago. They were moving heards of animals as the land owner was selling up. The animals had been bought by another "reserve" owner.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"