necking down 308 to 260 rem

Which is the best way about it,
the best way to do it is buy 260 brass in the first place,as any necking down can cause inconsistant neck thickness and also brass migration,so neck turning will be your next job and more expense so if your trying to save money buy necking down "you wont "

I've not noticed a degradation in performance in necking down from the larger cases and generally don't neck turn UNLESS it's necessary such as too thick a neck for the new round. If I had to turn a lots of meat off then I'd not bother.

The rounds I've done this on are 22BR from 6mm BR and 17 Hornet from 22 Hornet. The latter doesn't need turning to deliver sub-MOA (well, 0.3 - 0.4 MOA five shot groups) and the former had to be turned due to the required neck diameter.

I have turned the necks of my 22-250, 308 and 30-06 rounds just to see what happened and it wasn't really worth it but is simple enough of you bother to get the right gear. I use K&M kit and a bit of power assistance. With the 22BR I think I knocked up about 500 cases with much bother.

Spud does Lapua 260 Rem brass. I have Remington brass from factory ammo I shot and Nosler brass I got when I spotted it some years ago, but starting afresh, I would go straight to the Lapua brass. I need to decide whther or not I should continue with my Remington 260 Rem brass or just bin it. Regards JCS

I've been using Laoua 243 necked up for my 260 with no problems, never tried necking down due to the thick neck concerns.

When I shoot up the current batch I will dump this brass and replace it with Lapua 260.

Spud does Lapua 260 Rem brass. I have Remington brass from factory ammo I shot and Nosler brass I got when I spotted it some years ago, but starting afresh, I would go straight to the Lapua brass. I need to decide whther or not I should continue with my Remington 260 Rem brass or just bin it. Regards JCS

Hi Jcs
How did you find the nosler brass, I'm in the position where I'm going to need some more 7-08 brass shortly. Unfortunately Norma brass is an absolute fortune, and I was thinking about trying Nosler.
​dcg

Hi Jcs
How did you find the nosler brass, I'm in the position where I'm going to need some more 7-08 brass shortly. Unfortunately Norma brass is an absolute fortune, and I was thinking about trying Nosler.
​dcg

dcg. The Nosler brass is ok, but from what I read, Lapua and Norma are the brasses of choice. The Nosler brass is certainly better than the Remington brass. One box of Nosler is on its 7th firing. I'm not getting the neck consistency with the Nosler brass that I am looking for, it's close, but I hope the Lapua will be better. Some of the Remington brass is on its tenth firing. Regards JCS

surely this is the best way, no?

yes it is , it's what i did until lapua started making 260 brass. The only issue is a 260 round with a 243 headstamp is too dangerous combination for me when all the stalkers where i go tend to use 243 ?

Ive got around 500 308 lapua cases, would be a shame not to use them, new 260 cases are expensive, nearly double 308 brass

I had the same dilemma when I started with my 7-08. I had loads of .308 brass and 7-08 was very expensive. I tried sizing down but got overpressure very early due to thick necks so I ended up turning them to even them up.
Dont know if I would bother if I started again but the brass I have gives me excellent results and can be replaced fairly cheaply. All the kit still cost me less than dedicated brass for the calibre.
​Whats the trim length for .260 as .308 is quite short.

Ive got around 500 308 lapua cases, would be a shame not to use them, new 260 cases are expensive, nearly double 308 brass

Is the 308 brass new or once fired? Even once fired there is probably the value in them that will see a box of 100 new 260 Lapua brass or not far off it. If the brass is new at the right price you will sell it no probs...

I know it's not the original question being answered, but I agree that it's a lot of work for something that can be bought ready to go. Is it for stalking purposes where 100 new brass should last a long time, or range work in which case the large number could be used?

Just for giggles I did this with a 270 Winchester to 30-06 Springfield modification. I was expecting thin necks. I could not measure the difference to any sensible delta +/-1 thou between the modified 270s and the "proper" 30-06 when loaded (or otherwise). I used my K&M "Expandrion" to open them to .30'n'a'bit and then FL sized them.

They shot fine...well good enough for the fifty rounds to win the local comp anyway.

Depends on how generous your chamber neck is; you could end up with a lot of slop, depending on the brand of brass (since the neck gets thinner as it is increased in size).

Plus there's the possible donut problem since necking up, part of 243 shoulder turns up 260 neck, and shoulder could be thicker than neck.

I've used Rem and Win brand 243 brass w/o problems, though.

Back