L200

AllanG051

Hi guys. Just wondering what your views are of the l200 as a shooting and also a family car.
Looking at possibly buying one in a few months so just doing a bit of research.

Love my one, I bought it at 1 year old & put all terrain tires on it and it does what it says on the tin basically. It goes anywhere I need to go in it & when I'm away offshore the wife's never out of it taking the kids to school going back and forth to work etc. No issues and its 4 years old this month. Would I have another YES!

ATB

Bryan

Japs build them and Gypsies drive them so no i would never sit in one... Drum brakes and leaf springs went out with the Wells Fargo company.

AllanGO51
+1 on what jackfish says I'm on my second L200 and I would have another,
Plenty power and loads of room for dog box in the rear tub plus extras put a decent set of rubber on them and it will serve you well!
Use my one for all my shooting and as a family car also,
ATB.

I was a Mitsy fan till I bought an L200, already having had a Challenger for 7 years since it was three years old.....The L200 was the old shape.VERY uncomfortable on a run...( leaf springs) reminds me of my first Ser3 Land rover...ok for the 14 mile drive to work tho.....Looked good, and wasnt dreadful off road, and not really awful on fuel ( compared to the V6 Challenger) ... would'nt have another L200 tho..replaced it with an old Jeep Grand Cherokee, love the car...and think we'll be buying a newer one next year...:)

Last edited:
Love driving it, hate filling it up. 30mpg after having 2 estates on the trot that did well over 40 has come as a bit of a blow. At work we have a Hi-Lux and the previous observation is valid, the Hi_Lux is a much higher quality car. I think I'll try a Volvo XC70 next if I can find one in my price range.

I have a 06, last of the old model Only run it from December till march when there is snow and ice. I love it but as others have said, painfull to fill it upp with diesel.

Great truck but a bit high for a family car I'd have thought. The chief kitchen mechanic isn't particularly vertically challenged and she finds it "most unladylike" to get in. Mother in law is part hobbit and needs a step to get in.
great shooting truck though and very cheap for parts. Just had the centre prop bearing replaced....£19 and a full back box is only £51.

I have thought of that aswell because my other half is a tad on the small side but as she will be getting chuffered about she will just have to live with it :)

Im on my 4th one (1 old shape 3 new shape) and highly recommend them.
Never had any problems with any of them.
New shape much improved on old shape; more comfort and drives just like a car.
I get 32 mpg combined .
Ignore Red Dot ... just a bitter old man ! showing his true colours again with his useful and constructive comments :doh:
ATB
CVK

Quite a lot of rose tinted glasses then? If the OP only wanted positive comments why did he bother posting? L200's snap springs from new and if used off road the outdated rear brake drums will eventually sieze up from ingress of mud and water but if they are used as posing chariots then they will be fine. Round here they are the choice of poachers.

My buddies L200 was an OK shooting truck, but with some drawbacks,... turning circle was a square, Leccy windows packed in, (made mobile foxing a tough act), springs & bushes were regular items I believe, a part of the wiring harness went west, & some problems came up with the ecu.......... all in, pretty much the same sort of probs that come with some Landies, fuel consumption was fairly heavy too. If I had the dough to go buy new, It would be a Skoda Yeti 4x4.

No i dont just want possitive comments. I am taking the negitive ones into consideration aswell but by the looks of things the positive ones are out weighing the bad

No i dont just want possitive comments. I am taking the negitive ones into consideration aswell but by the looks of things the positive ones are out weighing the bad

It's all about the luck of the draw mate, You get a good one , every body is happy, Get a lemon (from any manufacturer), It's memory stays with you.

I have owned and worked all types of landrovers over the years and last year made the leap to an L200 and will not be going back that's for sure, most people who slag them off have never owned one and are stuck in the past.

Ran discos but prefer the L200, Toyota Landcruiser the tops but a lot more money as finnbear states you get good and bad in all but some more bad than good. Good luck with your choice

Quite a lot of rose tinted glasses then? If the OP only wanted positive comments why did he bother posting? L200's snap springs from new and if used off road the outdated rear brake drums will eventually sieze up from ingress of mud and water but if they are used as posing chariots then they will be fine. Round here they are the choice of poachers.

Interesting reply
i am on my 3rd
2 work vehicles and I hav one for myself

I will only comment on my own truck
56 plate old shape
leaf springs snapped at about 90,000 miles... £500 to repair and £150 for set of decent shocks fitted
head gasket went at 130,000 miles... £600
hav only replaced one set of brakes so far and clutch still going strong
mine also saved my life from a serious head on crash
and gone every where in mud water and snow... Never got stuck but that is tyre choice and driver ability

25-28 mph if driven steady lot less if driving 70mph+
So fuel a consideration if money is tight
not had an issue towing yet but if you intend to tow near it's limits then good luck
not for the faint hearted
would I trade it in
reluctant to as it is the best 4x4 I hav yet owned... considering the 4x4's I hav owed or driven in the past and still do drive

not sure if Red-Dot has ever owed one or just owned a google version..!!!
but pro's far out weigh the cons and still no idea how he got to rose tinted glasses
as if poachers use them ... then they must be good value for money
mine ****es all over my bosses Navara in most area's ... especially value for money
i use mine daily and not just to drive to work and back either
​very impressed with mine and how well it goes considering the abuse it has had over the years

Back