Whats On Yours ?

moose

After reading some recent post,i've noticed that there are alot of different conditions on FAC's.Like - "other legal quarry" to cover the likes of wild boar when it isn't specifically stated, and "humane despatch" which is self explanatory.Personally i don't have either of these on my own FAC and am i commiting an offence if i despatch a RTA wild boar at the request of a police officer ?

What does everybody have on there their FAC which may help others when applying or renewing to keep ourselves above the law.

On the downside your FAC may end up like a novel.

Moose

on my ticket
a. the lawful shooting of deer
b. the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife
c. the humane killing of animals
d. the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.
This from Grampian who have always talked straight and never messed me about. They recognise that as a farmer I may need to cull injured or sick livestock and under 'b' I may undertake any sport offered by a 2nd party.
All my centre fire have use for fox, vermin, deer, use on ranges and land which I have lawful authority to shoot. I went to great lengths to point out how long I had held my tickets, pointed out my qualifications and affiliation at commitee level and my involvement with training with the B.D.S.
I am happy with the wording of my ticket and find it in no way restrictive.

My ticket is to small to print any conditions, credit card size. I can shoot any legal quarry on any ground that i have a right to be on. Don't have to right down how much ammo i buy and can buy unlimited amounts of ammo. Plus there is no 5 year renewal its a FAC for life. :lol:

longlowdog said:
on my ticket

I've never heard that condition before. What is it specifically directed at... dogs amounst sheep / bull attack??

Paul

longlowdog said:
on my ticket
a. the lawful shooting of deer
b. the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife
c. the humane killing of animals

On my certificate these conditions apply only to Section 5 (expanding) ammuntion.

The conditions on my rifles, like yours, allow things like fox, deer, zeroing, vermin and so on.

The result of that is that although I have S5 ammunition for the conditions a,b,c and d as stated, the conditions on the rifles prevent my using the rifles, and therefore the ammunition, for c and d.

mine says all the usualy for deer and vermin, but also has this "The firearms and ammunition to which this certificate relates may also used for the humane destruction of animals at the request of Hampshire constabulary in connection with Hampshire constabulary humane animal dispatch scheme"
There also gave me a letter of authorisation which can be shown to police officer at the rta.

cookingfat

Personally I don't have either of these on my own FAC and am i commiting an offence if I despatch a RTA wild boar at the request of a police officer ?

Yes. Not "technically" but, yes. If your FAC does not allow wild boar or something that can be interpreted as wild boar. Also you may not fulfill the requirement to be shooting on land over which you lawful authority to shoot as this implies permission from the landowner or holder of the shooting rights. It may be that the injured boar is on land of someone who will not give permission for it to be shot but want it "healed and mended" by a vet!

My FAC?

"The 270 rifle s/n XXXX, 270 rifle s/n YYYY and 280 rifle s/n ZZZZ and ammunition shall be used for shooting medium and large quarry and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot".

'the protection of animals or humans' covers my legal issues if I am technically within my rights to shoot a sheep worrying dog, but fall foul of a distraught owner's lawyer who attempts to trip me on a technicality.
I was told by a police officer that there is a perception that those who only have permission to use jacketed ammo are target shooters and would not be expected to be able to assist in R.T.As or 'animals at large' and that by having seperate conditions for expanding ammo for game that the conditions c and d would be expected to use expanding ammo. This makes sense in terms of humane and rapid death and with regard to pass throughs in possibly confined or public areas. I've responded to a number of R.T.As and always used expanding ammo, tho' to be fair the Police officers present have never questioned the weapon that has freed them up to be on their way.

I recently asked for an 'open licence' for my .22LR and .223, after much discussion and returning of licences I was told that I could have it on the .22 but not the .223 but the provision for fox whilst stalking was added to my .243 and .308. It was only on reading the 9 conditions that are now on my FAC that I realise that I am allowed to zero my .223 on any land in the UK which I have the landowners permission to shoot on, but can only shoot it on land which has been deemed safe by the local chief constable. So I can take my rifle which I have not zeroed ( and therefore have no idea where the bullet may go) and shoot on any land where I have permission but once it is zeroed (and I know, presumably, exactly where the bullet will go) I have to get the chief constables say so. Even my FLO was flummoxed, made representation to the issuers through my FLO and it came back exactly the same!

My conditions are exactly the same as longlowdog.
Grampian police have never had any problem with mine or my friends certificates as far as I can recall ?
(and usually very quick to turn around a variation or renewal ).

I think based on the coverage that condition provides it's worth asking my local flo to put it on my ticket.

moose said:
After reading some recent post,i've noticed that there are alot of different conditions on FAC's.Like - "other legal quarry" to cover the likes of wild boar when it isn't specifically stated, and "humane despatch" which is self explanatory.Personally i don't have either of these on my own FAC and am i commiting an offence if i despatch a RTA wild boar at the request of a police officer ?

If you have a condition like the latest (June 2009) ACPO recommended sensible one, which states the primary species for which the firearm is held plus 'any other lawful quarry' then you won't have a problem over use. If on the highway at the express request of a police officer - preferrably in writing - then you should be covered. If on private land then all bets would be off, although as boar could be classifies as dangerous then I'll hazard a guess that 'public safety' could be called into play, especially when undertaken at the request, and in the presence of, the police.

On the downside your FAC may end up like a novel.

Been there, done that - my last FAC even had to have a separate A4 sheet attached to contain all of the (often contradictory) conditions regarding S5 darting equipment, use in public places etc. etc.

Hopefully the next publication of Home Office Guidance might address some of the crap that's doing the rounds at the moment - provided they all start using them! :rolleyes:

enfieldspares said:
"The 270 rifle s/n XXXX, 270 rifle s/n YYYY and 280 rifle s/n ZZZZ and ammunition shall be used for shooting medium and large quarry and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot".

That's a good one! How would they define 'medium and large' quarry? A medium hare is larger than a rabbit, which itself is larger than a medium rat.

At least it's better than the rubbish I was told by an FEO last week about the policy of only 'allowing' certain deer legal calibres, (for example .243 v .308), for 'small' or 'large' deer! :rolleyes:

They are copied from appendix 3 of the home office guide on firearms to the police 2002

So plod can cut and paste, big deal.

My ticket says as the main condition something like

'the rifles and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for deer stalking, vermin control and zeroing over 'my named land' and other land where permission is held'

So I asked as you do, 'you don't mind me zeroing on rabbits then with the 308'

Answer from FEO 'well, hum if a bullet remains safe'

Result
:lol: :rolleyes:

They can be really nice in D&G

jack said:
They are copied from appendix 3 of the home office guide on firearms to the police 2002

So plod can cut and paste, big deal.

Pity they don't use them then.

I should think that the conditions that remain in the form advised in the HO Guidance are a very low percentage of those actually on certs - they can't stop themselves from adding nonsense.

Thanks to everybody who replied.

It's obvious that each Firearm Department has it's own set of rules albeit following, 'guidelines'. Why can it not be the same for the up and down the whole of the United Kingdom, or at least each country in the UK.
For your driving licence the same rule applies countrywide.

Can anybody explain why it's not as one

Moose

Back