Finnlight or not?

User00004

Thinking of changing my .308 for another .308

Is the Finnlight worth the extra bit of cash, or should I just stick with a Stainless Synthetic?

It will be fitted with a Mod

I have been told that the 75's were slightily better, but they rarer than Albino Roe :eek:

Anywone wth experience of both rifles (Finnlight and standard) care to comment?

Cheers

TJ

Finnlight

I had a 75 stainless synthetic in 6.5 found it a good rifle, have now got a Finnlight in 308, personally id prefer the finnlight its that bit lighter and is a neater rifle, a couple of lads i know that use the finnlight swear by them and wouldnt change them.

Id definately recomend getting a Finnlight.

Wicklow202

I had a stainless synth .270 75 and have just sold my 6.5x55 75 finnlite.

The standard stainless synth 75 is a great rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

The real advantage of the finnlite comes in if you have a lot of ground to cover on foot as you do notice the difference in weight.

It's a 20" fluted barrel for a start, the bottom metal and mag are aluminium and the stock is lighter too.

If you're yomping around on foot for many miles then the finnlite will prove invaluable over time, if that's not an issue go for the Stainless synth.
If it's a shorter rifle you want have S/S cut down and screw cut and you'll still save money I suspect

ATB
Moses

Stu,

i'd get something with a longer barrell - 20" is just too short

about 23 3/4" is just about right ;)

Gary

i was in sportsman the other day - looked at all the rifles there, the finlight is about the same quality as a T3, just with a metal mag (in my opinion). i'd buy a t3 over a finnlight, but you'd be better off getting something a little more german!

bucksden said:
Stu,

i'd get something with a longer barrell - 20" is just too short

about 23 3/4" is just about right ;)

Gary

Gary, come on, we men all know size isnt everything.... :oops: ;)

My current .308 is 20", to be honest, for stalking it's plenty.

Out of curiosity, what rifle would you suggest? :eek: Need I ask!!!! 8)

TJ

I like my 6.5x55 Finnlight 75, which interestingly has a 20 7/8" barrel, compared to the 85 which has 22 7/16".
In .308", both rifles have 20 1/4"

In fact, having chrono'd the 75, I think the extra bit barrel is probably quite useful in 6.5x55. I noted that manufacturers' figures are often given using unexpectedly long barrels, and perhaps partly in consequence are on the generous side.

Having said that, I rather like the rifle and calibre. I bought it as a short, light rifle in a long, light calibre; and that is what I've got.

tartinjock said:
bucksden said:
i think you'll do fine with a tikka, something better would be wasted on you :p

Cheeky Bugger :mad:

Hope all is well Bud.

TJ

all is well thanks - even enjoying my tikka T3 .223!!! although a lot of things around here are not enjoying it as much - craking piece of kit.. if i'd had the T3 as my first.243 instead of the prohunter i would probably still have it now, and not wasted all that money on those plastic takedown german things ;)

i was told by someone a little while ago that all discerning european hunters rate the sako rifles much lower than we do here.

Hi TJ,

I've got a .308 Finnlight but the 85. Your right the 75 is a better rifle but In my opinion only because of the stock, the action in the 85 seams smoother and quieter as the bolt goes into the magazine to pick up a round instead of over the tops of it if that makes sense???

I bought a 75 stock off a .243 on evilbay and fitted it to my 85, is now in my opinion perfect. spot on at 100 with clover leaf groups and 4 inches low at 200yrd again groups with rounds touching.

The rifle itself is fitted with a mod and recoil wise I would say is smular to that of a unmoderated .223, because the rifle is so light by the time you put a moderator on it and scope it not overly heavy and suprisingly well balanced.

It's not as difficult as people say it is to modify it to fit, the 85 actions slot's into the 75 stock, need a bit of file work and fabricate an L shaped bracket to fit the recoil lug into the front of the action and that is more or less all the work that is requires.

I've also got a Tikka T3 with I guess is simlar ish to the standard and it not as compact as the Sako finnlight or as well balanced.

Hope this helps.

Jason

i had a guy out a few weeks ago with a 20" T3 in 270 . tidy rifle with a 3-9x42 zeiss on board.

iv a T3 cut down to 17" now, in 243 . i never felt under gunned with it .

my custom 75 has a 22" barrel on it in 270 .for stalking ranges ,ie under 200yds the animal will not know what length your barrel is.

Jason

I am pleased you have got your stock sorted and that is good news it was relatively easy to adapt the 75 stock to the 85 as like you, my opinion is the 85 is no better nor worse than the 75 apart from the stock.

I changed mine to a McMillan but had to wait 8 months and have a barrelled action sent to McMillan to make it happen and to complicate things further compared to your situation it was/is a SM action.

To anyone thinking of buying an 85 the action actually seems a lot smoother to the 75 but both are great rifles in my opinion apart from what has already been talked about. I had a 75 Finnlight when they first came out and wish I still had it - great design.

I have just purchased a 85 St/syn, in .308 I am still to collect it but with my calculations with mod, bipob, scope, mounts and bullets the rilfe should weight 11.5lbs give or take a few oz's, that is a lot of weight to take to the hill unless you have a sherpa to carry it for you, which i don't,
get the lightest rifle put a mob on it which will take out a lot of the bang.

A very good friend of mine has a 75 .308 sts/syn with all attached and extra 9oz in the stock to give better balance well total over 12lbs, I carried it for Five miles on open hill and we got back to the lodge and I shook him by the neck, but It looks like i am going down same road.

The finnlite is only a little lighter but all helps.

Have just checked the spec sheet for Sako 85's the finnlight and the S/S weigh exactly the same 2.8kg the standard S/S is is also slightly shorter and threaded from the factory which the finnlight isn't .So it seems the finnlight may be a bit of a gimmick but it does look nice. Their used to be a difference with the 75's because barrel length was shorter now no difference at all except price maybe. The spec sheet can be found in thier brochure or website.
I have a 75 s/s and very pleased with it cut to 20" barrel almost finnlight but not quite. No matter what you buy once you've strapped a bipod scope and mod on it will feel bloody heavy after 5 miles.

George

I have a 75 stainless in 22250 its eight year old and still producing tiny groups and two years ago got the finnlight in 6.5x55 should have had one years ago it too shoots tiny groups.
1st shot was a clean barrel. not zeroed just trying groups.
RIMG0002-2.jpg

6.5x55
again flyer was a clean barrel theres 3 in the group measuring 8mm.
target1.jpg

regards john.

Back