7x64

Irish Bob

Anyone have one? Not much seems to be said about them in the UK. I was thinking for reds and boar.

Also, how expensive is factory ammunition compared to .308 for example?

Ammo a little more than 308 unless bulk ,excellant round for deer from munty to red with no more damage than a 308 soft point ,can only say about it's good points as it don't seem to have any bad ! My mate accounts for many foxs whilst stalking and they don't seem to mind it also :D .
​Norma

I just wonder why there are so few in this country, in parts of Europe it seems to be the calibre of choice.

My mate was quoted over £50 a box from,our local shop but managed to get Norma oryx for £30 from a friendly rfd who has the same cal and buys in bulk .
another old school stalker I shoot with has a 7x64 but reloads his own for his old stutzen mannlicher .
​norma

I just wonder why there are so few in this country, in parts of Europe it seems to be the calibre of choice.

From what I've seen and talked to people in France it appears very popular and getting ammunition there seems easy as well (and I've seen it in stock the places I've looked). Been considering this calibre myself for here, Europe and South Africa. It would be great to hear more about this round and how others find it.

I've got one. Very happy with it. Like a .270 but you can put larger 7mm pills on the front. Ammo made by the Euro makers so should be obtainable. I'll reckon you like it ;)

ATB,

Scrummy

An excellent round, I use my rifle (a CZ) for hunting and target, I use the berger 168 VLD bullets and is a very capable 1,000 yard round. It currently sits in a custom carbon fibre stock and is the dogs danglies.View attachment 32067

A good friend uses one and it is a great round. He knocks fallow and roe down easily with it, and with little damage.

Basically Brenneke came up with the .280 30 years before the Americans did and called it the 7x64, it does have a different shape to the brass so it is not interchangeable! If you reload there is a massive range of 7mm bullets available to play with, but if you don't then make sure your local RFD will stock some ammunition for you. There are gunshops in Scotland that stock it because of the amount of continental stalkers who come over with their 7x64's, I know of one or two in England who stock 7x64 ammunition too.

I have just bought a 7x57 because of great price it was offered to me at, but I would have been just as keen (if not more so) if it had been a 7x64.

​Simon

I have one back home but in the UK I would go for .270 better choice of s/h rifles and ammo available everywhere

It's a cartridge which seems to come and go in fad. During the 1970's and 80's it seemed quite popular so BSA chambered their CF2 range of rifles for it and almost all the mainstream European manufacturers also offered. In the US Weatherby even offered it in their Euro models.

Then the "Gun Whores" started on the short action bollox and of course the 7x64 is a long action cartridge.

My old stalking mentor had a Mannlicher GK in 7x64 which he called his piggy gun and he used it on his trips to Europe for Boar. In the last few years before he died he had an old English SxS rifle rebuilt with new barrels in Ferlach in 7x65R to use as a Piggy Gun. His GK which was showing barrel wear was shipped to Germany and re-barrelled in 7.08 by Lowther Walther as at times it seemed that 7x64 was just not obtainable here in the UK. He and his rifle liked the Hertenberger ammunition.

Thanks everyone for the info. Ammunition shouldn't be a problem as I reload for my rifles which includes my 7mm-08. Seems like a variation might be called for!

Ahh. 7x64...the cartridge that was once an idea for an ideal "sniper rifle" cartridge for the German Army. It and its belated American "clone" the 280 Remington are probably the two most versatile and useful cartridges out there in a standard Mauser length action.

I have a 280 Remington.

The huge advantage they both have over the 270 Winchester is that .003" diameter. Now on a paper target or on a deer there is no difference. But what that .003" does do is unlock access to the wonderful world of 7mm.

And as far as bullet selection goes that is a huge difference. 150 grain, 165 grain, 175 grain and, of course, all the exotic TIG and TUG and other continental bullets in that size. That's where the two really outdistance the 270 Winchester.

However if all you ever want to shoot is standard "cup and core" lead bullets around 140 grains or say 150 grains maximum than do you really need a 7x64 or a 280 Remington when 270 Winchester (in that bullet weight range) is adequate.

I like 280 Remington (the standard version) and woukd rate 7x64 similar yet if you don't need or want those exotic bullets or weights above 150 grains then 270 Winchester is maybe better?

BUT ON THE CONTINENT? Then no question of 7x64 being the choice with 270 Winchester a long way behind! And for you, as a reloader, it means that one size (.284") does truly fit all in your 7x64 and 7mm-08. Although if you have a 7mm-08 then why not consider the next up after 280 Remington and go direct to 7mm Remington Magnum?

The huge advantage they both have over the 270 Winchester is that .003" diameter. Now on a paper target or on a deer there is no difference. But what that .003" does do is unlock access to the wonderful world of 7mm.

Errrrrrr ? :confused: 270 Winchester bullets are 0.277" and 7mm bullets as used in the 280 are 0.284" which unless I have lost my marbles completely is 0.007" difference :old:.

Maybe in Lincolnshire and elsewhere...but not in Leicestershire! Oops! Quite right...but you know what I meant anyway. had got .277" and .280" in my mind when I wrote it.

Thanks everyone for the info. Ammunition shouldn't be a problem as I reload for my rifles which includes my 7mm-08. Seems like a variation might be called for!

I really like the 7x64 and the 7x65r, it rimmed sister, and they both make a very versatile rifle. But given that you already have the 7mm-08 and assuming that it is a typical sporter as opposed to a heavy barrelled varmint / target style I am not sure a 7x64 would add much to your armoury. Same could be said for 308 and 30-06. If you are wanting a bit more versatility for pigs and Africa the 9.3x62 or 375h&h might make more sense, provided you could get them conditioned for UK use.

Saying that I have a 7x65r combination gun and 243 Heym bolt action that will be rebarrelled at somepoint in 260, 7mm-08 or even 7x64 (yes it's a long action), so that I have a good short range woodland rifle and a bolt action for the hill.

Maybe in Lincolnshire and elsewhere...but not in Leicestershire! Oops! Quite right...but you know what I meant anyway. had got .277" and .280" in my mind when I wrote it.

:D your age is showing old man and yes I d believe your older than me :rofl:.

Yes I know what you meant but couldn't let it slip by now could we. It's been one of those days here :banghead: so any light relief is good.

I see it quite a lot over here as it is a very popular round. I tried one 5 years ago but didn't get on with it and went for a 300 Win Mag instead.

270 Winchester bullets are 0.277" and 7mm bullets as used in the 280 are 0.284" which unless I have lost my marbles completely is 0.007" difference

I think that my mistake is also probably nearer the "truth" regarding the origins of the 270 Winchester. All this about a "Chinese contract" being cancelled? Hmm! I think that somebody maybe got the translation form millimetres to inches wrong.

Back