300WM killed my scope!!

bewsher500

Big boys toy arrived yesterday (Tikka 658 300WM) and I strapped on a S&B 3-12x44 I had put aside for a quick zeroing session.
Borescoped and all looking good
First shot, right elevation, off to the left by 4", took a second look through the scope and:

permission to say "cock"!!

apparently the moderator makes the effect of the recoil worse on scopes according to McLeods!
luckily the scope is of the vintage where they come with a 30 year warranty not a 10 year one

so who has a scope they want to sell, lend or give to me for some stag bashing in 2 weeks time?!

I have heard of this happening in the past but not with quality scopes, especially S&B who service the military with their products.....................bummer.

Nope, this has happened quite a lot over the years where wire rets have been used, I've seen S&B, Swarovski and Pecar do this and it's all down to the moderator. Whilst felt recoil is reduced the physics are still there and the transfer of energy finds a week spot...your scope ret!

Quite a few scopes were sent back and etched rets installed...problem solved!

Have you tried a Nightforce as these have etched reticules thus no wires to break. I have used one for the last ten years and it's bomb proof. I had it on my 300WM without any problems at all. I know we all have our prefured brands, but I've found my Nightforce to be a good strong piece of kit.

Paul

Ed

I had issues with my 300wm with the scope as it kept jumping forward in the mounts no matter how tight it was due to the forces caused with the mod etc. I bought a set of third eye tactical mounts and it rectified any issue I had. As you have seen its a night force I have on mine and as it says above the reticule is glass etched so no problems there.

Were you using some home loads out of interest and did you have any signs of pressure in the cases?.

Quite a few scopes were sent back and etched rets installed...problem solved!

I've had the glass on which a ret was etched break. That problem was solved by Swarovski very briskly under warranty, and the culprit (if indeed the break was recoil-related) was the mighty 6.5x55.

:thumb:
Big boys toy arrived yesterday (Tikka 658 300WM) and I strapped on a S&B 3-12x44 I had put aside for a quick zeroing session.
Borescoped and all looking good
First shot, right elevation, off to the left by 4", took a second look through the scope and:

Just goes to show I used nothing but a MTC Viper also with a NV ( NV only about 15 shots) and NEVER had loss of zero scope problem whilst using a Mod. Hope you get sorted asap and Grass yourself a Stag or to:stag:

permission to say "cock"!!

apparently the moderator makes the effect of the recoil worse on scopes according to McLeods!
luckily the scope is of the vintage where they come with a 30 year warranty not a 10 year one

so who has a scope they want to sell, lend or give to me for some stag bashing in 2 weeks time?!

Apparently it happens with all wire reticule scopes and some etched ones
answer is to man up and lose the reticule!!

mounts are rock solid.
scope has been on a Unmoderated lightweight 270 for its entire life

no drama, apparently S&B replace them with etched when you send them back

If you are desperate I have a meopta 6x42 that I keep as a spare that you can borrow. As long as it isn't going on the scopebuster.

Cheers,

Up to 100m you can still use it :D

Yeah, I just shot a few through the rifle using the vertical and a rough guess of midpoint.
have shot worse groups!!

interestingly the one unmoderated shot was over 9" higher than the moderated one at 100-110yds

thanks for all the PM's and offers.
may be sorted

Got a meopta 6x24x56zd you can borrow if your stuck designed for sniper rifles can go on a Barrett 50 cal so your wee 300 should be no probe.currently on my 22/250 but there if you need it.

Back