Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colour and Tracking

Colour and Tracking

Well i was looking at a couple of tracking dogs today and while they are the same breed they are a different colour.

Do you think there is a colour that is better than another at tracking.
    Lab,s seem to have their critics regards colour. Fawns good for pegs but not hard finders i am told Blacks work hard out in the field but get bored easy at a peg. Chocolates seem to get a real hard time from gun dog men. Just what i have heard and i must admit to liking labs my moan would be most i see are fat fe cks.
    So with BMH We have the Black face Red Body (Most popular) Lighter self coloured red dogs (Not quite as popular ) Mainly Black (Very Rare)

We then have Hanoverians Tiger stripes (Most popular ) Red Self colors (Less popular) And light fawns (quite rare)

Is this because of their tracking ability or just colour Fads.??

Colour don't matter ... it is the breeding that does

As a dog person Davie I cant believe you have asked that question. .!
    As Richard has sad its mostly in the breeding and how it is trained.

I agree so why such a push for the tiger stripe or the Dark head. I am not sure Richard and your self might know this but am i right in thinking the Chocolate lab is frown upon as a bad worker. Most i have spoken to believe this to be the case.

Is it not the case with chocs, and perhaps other breeds/colours, that working qualities have been overlooked on favour of colour? Perhaps there are examples of this in other breeds used for deer work?

To a dog man colour does not matter its in the breeding and training and for someone to think of labs as yourself I can only think that you have still a lot to learn about dogs and there breeding!

howy308 as you know we are always learning and i do still have a lot to learn. But is it not the case as novice says that sometimes the look of a dog can take the attention away from its real purpose.

We have two choc labs in our kennel, how neither are going to win any field trails but they are cracking working dogs..!

Oh no... Not again...
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

What up with you Wild Boar you got brindle and because its two colours get a bit confused lol.