Water Proofer

Dovebob

All,

I've got goretex DPM jacket and trousers that I bought second hand. They smelt of fags when I bought them, so I washed them a couple of times with normal laundry tabs. I did the hose test on them last night and they leaked a bit. I'd like to proof them with one of those wash in jobs.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for which one, and also what process gets the best results.

I recall there was a thread about this previously and one of the members had an objection to a particular brand, but I can't remember the details and can't find the thread.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you or this advice.

I got some Nickwax on the way home and have given it a try.

Cheers,

Bob

Just a thought, in case you did not know most of the modern washing powders and tabs have colour enhancers and brighteners in so before you waterproof them best to wash them again with no additives, i found this helps to keep odours down and lessens the clothes standing out to the deer as they have an eye for enhanced or brightened colours within their spectrum of vision.

​cheers

Never wash my kit just spray it with tent waterproof spray in summer as it smells but it keeps the water out even when I use it for kneeling on :thumb:

If they are British military surplus DPM goretex, then they always leak at the seams. Built down to a price I am afraid.

The label says they are RAF ones. Not sure what the difference is.

The stuff has dried overnight. It smells a bit like mild vinegar. I'll see how they go this weekend.

Cheers,

Bob

Does this re waterproofing stuff actually work?
I have a musto keepers coat that has started to leak.
I think it is gore-tex.

Back