Certificate fees update

David63

Dear All,

Following discussion between BASC and the Home Office, BASC has been informed by the Government that there will be no increase in certificate fees this Autumn. Police representatives have been lobbying for fees increases with figures quoted from £92 to £250 for a five year certificate which currently costs £50.

A working party will be set up, which will include shooting representatives, to look at all of the costs involved in licensing and the potential cost savings of using online tools and e-commerce in the process. This will mean that police cost figures will be subject to proper scrutiny. The working party will report back in 2015. There will also be a review of GPs’ role in licensing to find a solution which helps to protect public safety, is not burdensome to administer and which does not penalise the applicant.

BASC welcomes the constructive way in which the Home Office and the Government have listened to and engaged with the concerns of people who shoot. Defra, as the sponsoring department for shooting, has taken a keen interest in the issue as has the All-Party Group for Shooting and Conservation and its chairman Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP.

Fees have not increased since 2001 and an increase will ultimately be necessary. BASC is keen to see service-level agreements made with the police to see minimum standards of service introduced. BASC will work to see that any increase is proportionate, is matched by better service across the different police constabularies and is based on reliable cost figures.

Any updates will be on the BASC web site

David

No fee increase until 2015 at the earliest.

Personally I foresee creeping cost shifts onto the applicant such as Durham's insistence of the applicant paying for a doctor's letter else they will not process the application.

Why would anyone allow Durham to hold them back by demanding a letter that is not required. ?
I think some people just allow their Issuing force to bully them.

David

Fully appreciate that these matters are not a simple case of demand x, y & z so caveat all I say with that.

Given drive issue is fees and that is leading into working practices, e commerce etc - and it seems GP reportage will be put on the agenda - is there scope to raise the game?

Specifically to move away from the dogma focused ( with associated administrative burden ) on individual items and instead focus upon the person?

I have in mind the established DVLA system and the accepted position for section 2 firearms - so not too off the wall.

Not looking to hijack nor sidetrack original issue - but appears a natural progression. If a system of increased fees is established - no matter the 'win' at the time - on an intrinsically burdensome system, then it is entirely possible we become locked into ever increasing costs.

Thank you,

yes there will be lots to go over i agree and its a good opportunity to review lots of things. But at the same time we are still taking the medical issue forward anyway.

Increasing efficiency and consistency is key to keeping costs down for all concerned

David

Yet more evidence of the new style pro-activity of BASC. All good stuff.

I think a price hike is inevitable since there's been none for over a decade, so long as it's, as the police would say, proportional. I think a good policy to recommend is to support any reasonable initiatives that ensure certificate applicants are suitable and at the same time ensure that things are smooth and not convoluted for suitable candidates. The firearms licencing system is littered with silly foibles concerning conditions in particular.

Thank you,

yes there will be lots to go over i agree and its a good opportunity to review lots of things. But at the same time we are still taking the medical issue forward anyway.

Increasing efficiency and consistency is key to keeping costs down for all concerned

David

Well done, this is good progress.

Now that BASC is successfully engaged in positive discussions with the HO and Police it may be a good opportunity to look at which parts of the S1 controls serve any useful purpose and which are just bureaucratic inconvenience. I appreciate from our past discussions that much of this may require primary legislation but in the run up to the next general election it would be good to get the views of the shooting community onto the political agenda.

atb Tim

A fundamental is what is licensing for:
Public benefit = the public should pay for it?

However, we are overdue a review of the fees as they have been static for a long time. In looking at the appropriate fee, the work involved is critical. We have currently moved from focussing on the person to tedious the detail such as if a 243 can be used on land cleared for a 223 to at the other end of the scale is a 375 overkill.

It’s the work necessary to administer the Act as Parliament intended that should be calculated.

Well done to BASC for opening the door for a review, and lets hope for a positive outcome.

Thanks All, important steps I agree and lots more to do - and with the support of a growing membership we can do and deliver much more!
David

Back