Interchanging .223 and 5.56NATO ammunition

blaven

Forgive me if this has come up before. I have done a search prior to posting but can't find anything.
A firearms dealer has told me that I can have a lot of inexpensive shooting by buying a .223 and using "cheap military" ammunition in it.
Now I know that the calibres are identical, but I think there are subtle differences in the profile of the casings and also the thickness of the brass, if a long and boring American You tube video is to be believed.
I would value your informed opinions please.

Used in a CZ, no problems at all, and apparently even CZ USA say no issue as chamber is designed to use both.

Neil. :)

I have used in a CZ with no problems however you must be careful!
What do you mean 'be careful' do you mean be careful when you pull the trigger, be careful when you load or be careful where you point it when you shoot ?
I have used both 308/7.62 and .223/5.56 and, apart from the bullet, have not noticed any difference and that has been in a variety of makes of rifle.

I think both my .223 and .308 have fired roughly the same amount of a couple of thousand plinking surplus on paper just because I'm cheap like that. A very wise man and one of the best shots I knew always said 'shot lots cheap and get good quick'.

Some .223 are .223 wyld chamber which is slighty larger to account for the longer heavier for cal bullets of the NATO rounds thus being able to shoot both well. Check what you have as the shorter spec straight .223 may mean the mil surp rounds are jammed onto the lands and increase the pressure significantly.

My understanding (after a wee bit of research some time ago) is that the 5.56 and 223 are interchangeable.

I am clear also, that the 7.62x51 can be used in a 308win rifle, but you should not use the 308 in a military rifle chambered for 7.62, apparently 308win ammo is loaded to higher pressures than 7.62.

My understanding (after a wee bit of research some time ago) is that the 5.56 and 223 are interchangeable.

I am clear also, that the 7.62x51 can be used in a 308win rifle, but you should not use the 308 in a military rifle chambered for 7.62, apparently 308win ammo is loaded to higher pressures than 7.62.

+1

I just start doing some range shooting and do not reload. A 223 is also my first option because of cheap military ammo available. A gunsmith with a very good reputation building target rifles ( mostly on blueprinted remmy actions) assured me that there is absolutely no danger. Pressure is indeed higher in the 5.56 nato, but in his idea, any modern rifle is up to this pressure.

2pworth
.556 may give tight extraction as its hotter than .223 as its made for semi auto rifles to give more gas's to aid block return same for 7.62 all depends on it your rifle is fussy! my m4 and ar15's, ar10's were so as barrels were match grade so ss109 556 would jam up on extraction so would black spot 7.62

Spot on!

You can use army surplus 5.56 in a .223, watch out for extraction issues as per previous replies, have a look a at accurateshooter.com re differences, however 5.56 needs
a 1 in 9 inch twist barrel or faster if it is 62g ammunition to stabilise for accuracy, it has a front heavy steel core. 55g not an issue as intended for the older 1 in 14 twist barrels similar to sporting rifles.

You can use army surplus 5.56 in a .223, watch out for extraction issues as per previous replies, have a look a at accurateshooter.com re differences, however 5.56 needs
a 1 in 9 inch twist barrel or faster if it is 62g ammunition to stabilise for accuracy, it has a front heavy steel core. 55g not an issue as intended for the older 1 in 14 twist barrels similar to sporting rifles.

I think you'll find it has a hardended steel penetrator tip about 1-2mm long at the front. Rest is lead.
Tip penetrates, brakes off, bullet tumbles just nice in the body, back has great big exit wound.

Similar to Mark VII ball 303 ammo: big aluminium tip, lump of lead at read. Tumbles like hell after impact.

Have a look here: 5.56×45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Yanks have done some upgrades as a result of the recent upsets. SS109 was designed for engaging protected personnel (Plates backed by Kevlar) whereas the current "bun fights" tend to be personnel behind barricades / buildings / longer range and no (not much) armour.
The 77grain sounds just like the Practical Rifle types used back in the 1990s...

Back