To epoxy or not to epoxy scope fittings to a Sauer

greenhout

Looking at the instructions for mounting the fittings for the scope on my Sauer, it says to fix them in place with a two part glue - ie epoxy like araldite. I don't like the sound of that, hate to put things on that will be a sod to get off! Does anyone have any issues with screws loosening on a Sauer or something similar? I am inclined to ignore the instruction.

Its for the mounts ! usually AEW mounts, you apply about a match head size of epoxy and also have to sand off the blueing. Mine came with mounts glued and screwed.

It depends if its for the Sauer 202 outback there was a problem with the mounting system there steel screws were stripping the threads on the inside of the Alloy action so they solved it with Glue. That would not fill me with confidence but i am sure thet tested it.

Sometimes or mostly the surface contacts of mounts do not mate perfectly. This leads to a connection that is not as stiff as it should be and can loosen. A cheap easy option is to glue with a non shrinkage glue like a bedding material or filled epoxy. Taking apart can be a problem and removing of glue often results in scratched surfaces. One option I use is to apply release agent to the rifle and apply blue Loctite to the screws. With expensive mounts I also apply release agent to the mounts. Then apply aluminium or steel filled epoxy (not quick setting version) between the mating surfaces and tighten up lightly. I then mount a scope that has it's turrets set on middle position and check via bore sighting. I then tap the mounts left or right within the play of the mount screws until bore sighted at least the windage.
Then a day later after curing of the epoxy I torque up the mount screws. The epoxy acts as a perfect mating surface and compression is well distributed. Removing is easy and the epoxy will just peel away.
edi

I am all for bedding material or filling agent between mating surfaces but epoxy on screws is for bodging!
loctite or get it retapped!!

Its not on the Screw's it's for bonding the bases of Apel quick release mounts to the action.

ejg, can you recommend a specific type of release agent and epoxy. There seem to be quite a few kinds out there and I would like to use the right one, cheers.

Won't add to the options but once mounts dealt with don't overlook the advantages of applying a light film of the glue that comes with a puncture repair kit to the ring halves.

Allow to cure before positioning rings having determined scope position in advance.

K

ejg, can you recommend a specific type of release agent and epoxy. There seem to be quite a few kinds out there and I would like to use the right one, cheers.
We use professional wax however clear Kiwi shoe wax works great too. I find cleaning surfaces with thinners/spirits is important so that the wax has a grip. Oil is not a release agent and often just doesn't release. Oils, butter, car wax or leather/boot grease are not good release agents.
One can always do a little test on a throw away metal part. Apply one coat of Kiwi clear, let dry and polish lightly then apply a second coat without polishing. Then put a blob of epoxy on and let it cure. One can also try a different brand of clear shoe wax. Must be the waxy type.
edi
ps. do not use the injection moulding release agent in spray can. Injection moulding process has different sticky problems than epoxy has. There have been many long faces after learning this the wrong way.

Last edited:
Its not on the Screw's it's for bonding the bases of Apel quick release mounts to the action.

I would rather "fit" them with very fine grit (600+) paper over the action so the mating surface matches
ideally then reblueing the underside
Then as above loctite on the screws

shouldn't need anything more really especially from Sauer and Apel

Without the screws the glue does nothing other than provide a support surface for proper mating (which contour matching does properly)

£3000 on rifle and mounts and they need glue!?!?

Last edited:
If a rifle relies on glue for the mounting of a scope then something went wrong in the design department.
My guess is that Sauer/Apel just want it to be bomb proof or to hold up when the rifle tumbles off the high seat as they so often do on the continent.
edi

If that is truly what one of the top rifle manufacturers had wanted they would have conceived some kind of partnership with an Austrian scope producer years ago and either copied or ‘developed’ the approach to marrying a scope to action as per the David Lloyd system that allows one to cast his rifle from a bedroom window into the undergrowth below and still hold zero:

Lloyd_zps6a0ae270.jpg

Cheers

K
My guess is that Sauer/Apel just want it to be bomb proof or to hold up when the rifle tumbles off the high seat as they so often do on the continent. edi

Who is David Lloyd? looks as if his design was not as well accepted by the market than say Sauer gear. Then again Remington is even more accepted.:D
Don't think anyone wants to be stuck with one scope manufacturer. Even the German rails on scopes are only selling in Germany, worldwide nobody wants them.
At the moment I think a pica rail that is integrated into the action, not screwed on, would possibly be what the market would accept most. No chance of moving, just as heavy as a steel rail screwed on top and straight if done right. Mounts to be found world wide.
edi

Who is David Lloyd? looks as if his design was not as well accepted by the market than say Sauer gear. edi

Its far from uncommon for great artists and inventors to be anything but in their lifetime.

When I look at the above I am reminded of three words:

“Form and function”.
(The best designers create items that functional beautifully and appeal aesthetically.)

When I consider the qualities of a “rail” it is but the latter and always prefaced with at least one expletive!

Cheers

K

I saw a David Lloyd that was an absolute nightmare because of the fixed mounting system, it only came out of the cabinet once a year. it had sentimental value to the owner or he would have got rid!

Back