moderators

Bramble

I am going to change my moderator from a T8 but am not sure what to go for, what will give the same noise reduction but is smaller and lighter, I would rather hear from those that have used them than perhaps a biased sales person, thanks

From a T8, I went for small but not lighter in a ASE Northstar.
It is also a reflex design, so the weight is a bit futher back than muzzle-forward cans. Also, it is of stainless steel.

A-tec cm4 worth a look, probably not the quietest but very light... Ideal on your carry rifle.

I just sold mine today (Atec Maxim), 'was' a great mod, light and very good reduction...however, I just couldn't live with an ugly rifle anymore, so the mod had to go,,,,not to be replaced.

Had a T8, Wildcat, something else and now an ASE Northstar and a Hardy Gen IV (reflex type) which I feel gives the best all-round performance at just 10ozs with a built in muzzle brake.

There are a few threads ref mods, so have a search.

IMHO, the Hardy Gen IV is the best mod around at the moment. It's light and over the barrel, and reduces noise sufficiently for what I need. Yes, there are cheaper, lighter or quieter mods on the market, but I wanted a balance of all the elements as I carry it more that I use it!!!

had a AUt8 brick now got a hardy g4 very light from the lads at RC it dos't pull the rifle down when on the sling anymore :D

I've had a T8, and still have a JetZ and Hardy. The Hardy is the most handy, bu definitely noisier than the other two. In fact, painfully loud for protracted shooting without hearing protection on a 6.5x55.
I think the T8 was probably the quietest, but certainly the heaviest.

I have a TET Spartan mod, it's the end of barrel type, feels very good quality and has a built in muzzle break, only trouble is I can't get the front end off it to clean it!

Atb.

I've had a T8, and still have a JetZ and Hardy. The Hardy is the most handy, bu definitely noisier than the other two. In fact, painfully loud for protracted shooting without hearing protection on a 6.5x55.
I think the T8 was probably the quietest, but certainly the heaviest.

Would agree, the T8 was the quietest until mine blew up! However not sure I agree with the Hardy being that noisy as I use mine on a 6.5x55 and find it only marginally louder than the T8 which was better on test against the JetZ.

I think what we hear as different between all these mods is not so much the actual decibel difference but the different "song" they make. I'm not saying they are all equal as some are on paper better than others but the difference is marginal . . . or maybe I'm just going deaf!

I've used/owned most mods in aluminium, steel and titanium. I've just bought an AimSport Cyclone+ for my new Sauer 101 in .308. It is unbelievable - very quiet, very light, very well made and for the first time I can see the point of impact, recoil is soft! It would be interesting to directly compare the Hardy Gen IV and the Cyclone as they are both highly rated. Aimsport claims 28-32dB - my ears can only tell me that it is quiet with lack of muzzle flip being outstanding. I've popped a very short review on my blog.

Started with T8's which were very good, had an early Wildcat and sent it back for a T8, moved onto JetZ's on the 22-250 and the 243 and another for the 300WM..... very good.

Have now gone for SP Filling's OneLessCharlie non-strippable stainless on the new Sako A1 .20Prac... bloody heck that's quiet! A bit lighter and smaller at 37.87x160mm than the JetZ's 39x180.

And for the Tikka 595 .17Rem I've just got my stickies on OLC's .17 cal mod... stainless non-strippable as per the one for the .20 but a nadge shorter at 155 and only 31.29mm diameter.

British made too... cheaper than Jet Z's, quality stuff and Colin will basically build you whatever you want.

Love 'em.

Fizz
:D

SP Filling Systems Ltd Sound moderators
Home - ONELESSCHARLIE Custom sound moderators

I've got a couple of Ase Utra Jet-Z's and find them very quiet. As they are 'end of barrel' they tend to unbalance the rifle a bit but still manageable. Looking for a good 'end of barrel' Titanium mod with similar performance, that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

hardy gen4 for me but am quite deaf already.i have started using hearing aids when stalking never notice the hardy being noisey but I may be concentrating on other things when shooting deer.

IMHO, the Hardy Gen IV is the best mod around at the moment. It's light and over the barrel, and reduces noise sufficiently for what I need. Yes, there are cheaper, lighter or quieter mods on the market, but I wanted a balance of all the elements as I carry it more that I use it!!!
Agree if you look at the thing weight ballance size got to be the best bet for a mod, I'll get one soon

Back