Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice surprise last night

Nice surprise last night

I was sitting in my lounge last night in front of the TV, it was five minutes past nine, when I saw a flash of white out of the corner of my eye. I looked out the patio doors and there sitting on the patio table, which is no more than 8-10 feet from the doors, was a Barn Owl. It was busy watching a hedgehog that was getting stuck into the Pine Martens food on the patio doorsteps, it just sat there for a minute or so and then took off. It was a first for me a Barn Owl in the garden, plenty of Tawny but first Barn Owl, silly as it seems I was really chuffed.

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

And you have every right to be john, they are quite rare in the wild.
    We have one that comes and lands on the roof of the doe box, she uses it as a viewing point.

We have quite a few around here John.
    Tawny and Barn.
    Nice to see.
    I enjoy the red squirrels coming to the bird table in my garden,would love to see Pine Marten here too,even if they will predate upon the squirrel.
    See a few Pine Marten but not in the numbers there will be where you are.

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

We tend to see one when ever we go lamping and start to squeak a fox in. They are amazing when they fly only a few feet above your head.

Always great to see them isn't it they're not at all rare around here lots of barn and tawny owls , must've seen at least 8 since I came back in February , when I was in Canada I saw quite a few snowy owls in the wild that really made my day!
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Near Melton Mowbray (Home of the Pork Pie!)
    love a barn owl! i was sat in a high seat one early morning and i managed to squeak one with in 6ft of me, i stayed dead still, it knew i wasn't natural... hovered for 5-10 secs then gracefully soared off!!

we get barn, tawny and little owls, only ever seen 2 from 3 at the same time.

snowy female just outside the house I rented they hung around for quite a while
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Barn Owl on your door step .....your very lucky , I would love to see one in my garden ..............keep a camera handy in case it comes back and get us some pics
    Enjoy yourself's later than you think !!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    We are really lucky in Dorset, so much so that they are not a rarity.
    Often get buzzed by Tawny Owls when fox squeaking and almost any rough ground will get get visited by Barn Owls and of course deer hence the regular sightings
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama