Nettle stings on dogs pads.

Eyefor

My 13 month old cocker pup is having some trouble with the nettle (could be thistle?) stings to her pads so would anyone know an instant relief for this please?

Maybe vinegar?

And do the pads eventually harden up?

Thanks.

I don't know of anything but my bavarian doesn't seem to feel them whilst out but later when were home she suddenly starts running around like a loon and jumping about ,she looks at me as if to say what the hell are you doing and suspect this is due to nettles ,atb wayne

I don't know of anything but my bavarian doesn't seem to feel them whilst out but later when were home she suddenly starts running around like a loon and jumping about ,she looks at me as if to say what the hell are you doing and suspect this is due to nettles ,atb wayne

That is exactly the same with my dog.

Possibly too busy running around like a maniac when out - but when we get home its mayhem!!!

Piriton could help but not sure if it is instant. Perhaps when the pads have hardened up a bit (more road walking?), it will be less prevalent.

I was advised to dab surgical spirit on the pads to encourage them to harden up.

could try this found it on a working dog site ( I have to use piriton quite regularly at this time of year to ease the stings after a walk - have a working cocker who knows they hurt but needs to hunt He gets to the stage where he rubs his ears and paws on the concrete and gets quite distressed so I give him a childs dose of piriton) but talk to your vet first

Hi my wife and I work our cockers aged 6&4 and before we work them we use a piriton tab for each dog ours don't suffer as bad but as already said talk to your vet first bazil

Thanks for all the replies.

I will speak to the Vet about piriton but I've been recommended to try dabbing on dilute cider vinegar or applying a water-mixed paste of bicarbonate of soda.

She does a fair amount of hard surface running so I'm hoping that will harden the pads up and also help.

​Thanks again.

Iain

buy a springer.

My Cocker thinks she's a springer already?

Great off the lead but crap on it, runs flat out all day long, bounds through long grass etc like a dog on a pogo stick and barges through hedges like a hippo on heat. Additionally she's mental - so fully qualified to be a springer?

Piriton (4mg tablet once a day, as recommended by the Vet) cured the stung pads problem.

View attachment 32633

buy a springer.

Springers are certainly tough dogs and are willing to work through a fair bit of discomfort. Ours only seem to feel the after effects of nettle stings after work, especially when brought indoors into a warmer environment. If you can shut them in somewhere with some clean wheat straw this seems to help, as well as cleaning them up.

atb Tim

+1 to Tim's post.

​Wheat straw seems to cure most of a Springer's ills especially when combined with quiet and privacy.

Last edited:
Back