WINCH PROBLEM ?

Fenlander

Thinking of buying a DV-6000Porta Pull Winch for fixing on Front & Rear of Defender.
Any ideas as for fixing Tow Ball and Electrics to front of vehicle without remocing Bumbper.

What are you going to use the winch for?
The reason I ask is because they're no good for self recovery.

Fitting a towball on the front is easy, just get a bracing plate of steel and mount it behind the bumper and bolt through both, keep it in line with one of the main chassis rails for strength.

I prefer the more permanent fitting!
Photo0185.jpg

ah fenlander or should i call you the one shot jock ! :lol:

just get the proper winch bumper kit and be done with it ! any way your defender is too clean to have a winch :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers lee

winch problems

not for self recovery. general and red recovery .need to fit the winch on the front or rear depending on the circumstances.

winch

You can get a kit from any recovery winch supplyer you can run power points to the front and rear with heavy duty cable whitch has a heavy duty plug. there a bit of hassle running it throw but once on you can attach jump leads to . i use a warn 8374 on front of my land rover with a wireless remote . the remote is a must have only £35 well worth it. if you get a winch make sure its a well known make warn or superwinch or mile maker warn and super winch do demoutable kits just have a look on the net there are loads of suppliers and very helpful people to talk to.
Lyon

Roz said:

I'm curious as to why you say they are no good for self recovery. As that is precisely what they are sold as.http://www.proliftsolutions.com.au/productdisplay.asp?productid=246

Personally I would never pull off a tow hitch bolted to a bumper. I have witness to many close calls where people have tried and the rope or sling has slipped. One being where they were using a snatch rope and the hitch mounting failed. The ensuing projectile passed thru the Range Rover rear window and embedded its self in the rear of the front passenger seat head rest.The guy driving the RR was rather pale and pasty looking when he got out to inspect the damage.

Jeffers said:
Roz said:

I'm curious as to why you say they are no good for self recovery. As that is precisely what they are sold as.http://www.proliftsolutions.com.au/productdisplay.asp?productid=246

Personally I would never pull off a tow hitch bolted to a bumper. I have witness to many close calls where people have tried and the rope or sling has slipped. One being where they were using a snatch rope and the hitch mounting failed. The ensuing projectile passed thru the Range Rover rear window and embedded its self in the rear of the front passenger seat head rest.The guy driving the RR was rather pale and pasty looking when he got out to inspect the damage.

Jeffers, The winch mentioned in fenlanders question is only 6000lb line pull, this is not enough to pull a stuck defender out of whatever is preventing it from driving it's self out.
The winch on my Defender pictured above is a superwinch 8000e, with 2000lb more pulling power but even that is barely enough, and will cut out to allow the solenoids to cool under heavy use. If I had the money I'd have a warn 12000 on there, but can never justify it. Instead I generally use a snatch block and set a double line pull, which halves the speed of the recovery, but doubles the capacity, it's the only realistic way I can use mine without killing it.
The advert in your link mentions small 4x4, which I would call something like a suzuki vitara....

Completely agree with you on the use of kinetic ropes, hate them, horribly dangerous things in the wrong hands!

Roz
I have always worked on the basis of, if 6000lb of pulling power can't get you out you should never have been there in the first place. :rolleyes:
I've always used snatch blocks as I find it allows for greater control. Working on the principle that its better to be slower and safer than sorry. Repent at leisure and all that. ;)

Yeah, but some of us silly buggers go and get ourselves into some strange places at weekends lol! :oops:
Bearing in mind my unladen 90 weighs nearly 4000lb, I find it a struggle getting out of peaty mud or deep snow, it takes some grip of the landy!
The 6000lb winch will work with a snach block, but if it's an option, I'd still recommend going for a bigger one in the first place! ;) ;)

Back