Clicking Muntjac

Munty_Hunter

At the start of the summer I was doing a bit of Fox control on a local estate. Anyway a good size Munty buck slowly made his way up the hedge i was hidden in getting closer and closer. He eventually got to within about five metres of me (evidently well hidden behind grass). He seemed nervous to be in open ground and was making a rapid clicking noise (note he was not feeding at all). The previous night nearby I had watched a different Buck pursueing a Doe for about 15 minutes but nothing more happened.
I wonder if anyone has experience Muntjac making this noise. I know CWD bucks click their teeth when courting. I have only read of Muntjac squeaking or barking,

your views please. :confused:

nothing unusual there....
just glad for you, that you were there to witness and hear such event as so few do
ATB

You sure it wasn't Skippy telling you about the child down the well?

i've heard it mate and it wasn't obvious for a long while what was making the noise!

Tom

Munter Hunter said:
The previous night nearby I had watched a different Buck pursueing a Doe for about 15 minutes but nothing more happened.

Those two didn't click then? :lol:

Can't say I've ever heard it but will have my ears on in earnest when I next go after munties. Its these little observations that make stalking such a fabulous pursuit.

Cheers Stone/Tommo.
I'm glad I am not the only one to have heard them do it, everyone I've asked made similar Skippy coments and doubted me. Do you think it is the same principle as with CWD, or has anyone got other ideas. Strange they don't mention it in any published info like DSC stuff neither is it mentioned in the Charles Smith-Jones Muntjac 'bible'.

Munter Hunter said:
Strange they don't mention it in any published info like DSC stuff neither is it mentioned in the Charles Smith-Jones Muntjac 'bible'.

The one thing about Muntjac is they are our least studied and understood deer
when most see a munty for any length of time they hav usually shot it , not studied it , watching to see its movements or characteristics
For any thing of interest to be written in any guideline or book more proof is needed and justifaction for why it happens before it can be published
this i know is being studied into
ATB

I have only ever heard them clicking when in the open rather than in cover, and also just before and just after territorial or mating disputes between bucks.

Back