Following Blood Spots in the Dark.

Uncle Norm

Last week I was shooting Fallow with a good friend who is not an experienced rifle shot. My friend shot a pricket that was hit very low in the ribs and too far back. Unfortunately I was not close enough to shoot it again and it got up and ran into a wood.

It was nearly dark and the wood is very neglected, with fallen trees, brambles, broken and cracked ground etc. Too hazardous to risk my young dog in the dark.

The blood track in the dark, did not seem a promising prospect but after thinking through my options, I decided to wait an hour then try by torchlight.

It was not at all easy (small spots and several yards between them ) but after two hours and 150 yards, we found and dispatched the pricket. Recovery was arduous but we managed to accomplish it ok.

I always have several lights with me if stalking in the evening. I found that my brightest light (the excellent Clubriter) was far too bright and white for finding the sparse blood spots. My old Maglight with its yellow tinted light was far better as was my mini-maglight.

However it was a tedious and tiring search and I have since reflected upon seeing various items advertised that allegedly make following blood spots easier.
One item is a type of torch whilst the other is a form of spray. I wonder if any of our members have experience of using one or more of these products and what your considered opinion of it/them is ?

i havent used or heard of anyone using them , seen them advertised but think i would trust the dog on a line first , be interesting to hear any info on them !

have not seen anything apart from on csi ,why not use the dog on a tracking harness or collar and long line you have control then to see the dog and follow up, atb wayne

The dog should've got a run out Uncle Norm.....
Cover and terrain is all part of the dog learning.
​At night-mostly better to leave if you can till day after-not always possible.Dog would've saved time and more experience for dog.

but i must say well done for following it up and your man for saying it was wounded , well done !

The dog should've got a run out Uncle Norm.....
Cover and terrain is all part of the dog learning.
​At night-mostly better to leave if you can till day after-not always possible.Dog would've saved time and more experience for dog.

I couldn't agree more. That sort of opportunity does not come up very often.
It was not an easy decision and I won't go into all the detail of circumstances here as it is not fair nor appropriate, however my back-up plan was to go back with Ruby at first light. There is no doubt in my mind that she would have found it easily. I would have been confident of Ruby's safety in the daylight too.

That wood is seriously hazardous and I would not risk my dog in there in the dark. It was bad enough for my friend and I. We have both got a few bruises, scratches etc. as our 'badges of honour' and we had torches.

It was one of those events that will not be easily forgotten. Grim, but with the best possible outcome for the deer and my good friend.

I couldn't agree more. That sort of opportunity does not come up very often.
It was not an easy decision and I won't go into all the detail of circumstances here as it is not fair nor appropriate, however my back-up plan was to go back with Ruby at first light. There is no doubt in my mind that she would have found it easily. I would have been confident of Ruby's safety in the daylight too.

That wood is seriously hazardous and I would not risk my dog in there in the dark. It was bad enough for my friend and I. We have both got a few bruises, scratches etc. as our 'badges of honour' and we had torches.

It was one of those events that will not be easily forgotten. Grim, but with the best possible outcome for the deer and my good friend.
Is there ghosties in the wood:scared:;)
Well done on getting the beast,that is the main thing.:thumb:

Not convinced... hasn't that been proven as an urban myth? Needs a reactor sprayed over it to cause it to glow under UV.

I bought cheapie UV torch years ago and it didn't work, I also bought one of the red flashing Gerber torches that are supposed to 'highlight' the red of the blood.... that was cr*p too and then I tried a spray of bleach/peroxide with a bit of red food dye in it and a normal white torch... the bleach reacts with the blood and bubbles up making it a bit more obvious. Another fine idea that soon got left behind.

Now I just use a white torch and a bit of care and patience when necessary, which isn't often thankfully.

Fizz
:cool:

Uv light will make blood glow.
I uave converted led torches into uv torches by using leds.
You just need to make sure you have the correct led with the correct wavelength.
Cant remember of the top of my head what it is.

That bei g said I would trust my dog first. Even if he was worked close by.

Don't waste your time with lights and sprays, use the worlds best detector. A good dog! Almost any dog can find a mortally wounded deer.

Don't waste your time with lights and sprays, use the worlds best detector. A good dog! Almost any dog can find a mortally wounded deer.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about using a dog, which is why I own and train one for finding deer, working her on a tracking line and collar.
If you read posts number 1 and 7, you will see why I would not risk my young dog in these particular circumstances.
Perhaps I should clarify ?
The wood is full of fallen trees broken branches, bramble with bl***y great holes and deep cracks in the ground. I prioritised the welfare of my dog rather than risk a broken leg or worse, bearing in mind it was pitch dark.
Hence I was wondering whether these torches, sprays etc. are any good ? From the responses so far, it would appear not, so I have my answer thank you.

That really hurt:D:rofl:
Take care and let her work mannie:thumb:
Your right as well,I'm in a devilish mood tonight,sorry I couldn't resist.
I need to get you up here to see the carnage my dogs work in-no ghosts though;)although there are real bad bits-the dogs cope better than us.

blood does not fluoresce under UV without additives
it does however have unique absorption qualities when it comes to certain wavelengths
get the right mix and the blood will show up a bit easier than in pure white light (not convinced this torch is the one to buy though.... but it shows some aspects)

That torch doesn't use UV LED's.
It used red and blue LED's.
Completly different wavelength spectrum.
The use of colour lights just highlights anything that is the same colour more.

Back