Securing Guns in Vehicles

tjm160

What methods do people use for securing guns in vehicles or are there indeed any methods available that are safe and acceptable? Are there lockable storage lockers commercially available that can be secured in the boot for example? In this months BASC Magazine, there is an article on a 'Hunting Pack' for certain Isuzu 4x4's. But what about the rest of us with more regular vehicles?

You could use a normal gun cabinet or get one made to fit. Maybe a trigger lock with a cable to the chassis, or a good dog!

Steel cable bike lock fed through a suitable part of firearm, trigger guard or breech as appropriate and round solid part of the vehicle, tie down point, seat mounting etc.

also take the bolt with you or the fore-end if a shotgun

It is acceptable to take 'reasonable precautions'.

Have a look at Part 7 of this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf

From my point of view, car locked, rifle out of sight, ammunition separate and bolt away with me does for most circumstances.
If the car is to be left for a while in higher-risk areas, I pass a security cable through the spare wheel and secure the rifle through the receiver to that.

For travelling in the car I keep the guns covered up in their cases, use a kryptonite motorcycle lock and cable looped through the trigger guards and attached to the strong metal hook loops in the boot of the car and take out the bolt/s and keep with me. I made a lockable wooden box to transport them in but it was far too cumbersome with all the other gear I was carrying.

The quick, cheap and dirty way...

Buy a cheap hard rifle case off ebay or elsewhere.
Buy one of these and one of these .
Drill hole through case big enough to admit cable, in line with trigger guard .
Pass cable through case and trigger guard. Secure to load loop or similar in boot.

I remove the bolt / forend and ammunition after that it's s useless Piece of metal and wood just keep them out of sight too and that's plenty safe enough

Crumbs, I've never met a forum membership so ready and willing to pass on their knowledge and experience, without even a hint of scorn for a newbies ignorance. Thank you greatly gents!

Always used to worry me if I was out shooting and ended up getting called out on a security issue at work as my "work" .22 was a semi-auto.
I worried a little less once my bull terrier x mastiff was big enough to be left "in charge" :evil:

They do make gun cabinets for vehicles that can be removed

http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/auto_sentinel.html

You can even get an extra mount and move it from house to car.

I have a small safe bolted into the car for ammo and the bolt (and a handgun for work). If leaving a rifle for long have a wire cord I pass through the trigger and through a secure lashing point. If leaving gun in the car I would take bold/forend and ammo with me.

It's all about taking 'reasonable' precautions. What is reasonable in one place may not be so in another. If you have an integral part of the gun on your person when the police get there you've tried your best.

I bought the Isuzu Utah earlier on this year, but didn't fancy £6k + VAT extra for the Huntsman pack, although it does make it look a little less pikey as all the chrome is blacked out :D. So I spent some time on google and in the end opted for one of these http://www.transk9.com/index.php/storagesingle/tl5/ which is ideal, I can fit my Sauer 202 in its slip comfortably and the other half can be used for bins, bullets, knives etc. Might well get the double rifle foam insert in the future, but as I do a bit of driven shooting want to speak to them to make sure a shotgun fits reasonably well in. It also comes with some steel dividers so the other half can be compartmentalised.

Sharon the owner was really helpful and great to deal with, would highly recommend. It also helps that her husband is a shooting man so understands what makes a good box great.

Cheers

I looked hard at this at the CLA but couldn't justifi the price to replace my current Woden gun draws however if I needed to these would be top of my list.
I bought the Isuzu Utah earlier on this year, but didn't fancy £6k + VAT extra for the Huntsman pack, although it does make it look a little less pikey as all the chrome is blacked out :D. So I spent some time on google and in the end opted for one of these http://www.transk9.com/index.php/storagesingle/tl5/ which is ideal, I can fit my Sauer 202 in its slip comfortably and the other half can be used for bins, bullets, knives etc. Might well get the double rifle foam insert in the future, but as I do a bit of driven shooting want to speak to them to make sure a shotgun fits reasonably well in. It also comes with some steel dividers so the other half can be compartmentalised.

Sharon the owner was really helpful and great to deal with, would highly recommend. It also helps that her husband is a shooting man so understands what makes a good box great.

Cheers

I would have to endorse NickyA's opinion regarding Trans K9, very helpful outfit, great products too. I had a gun storage unit for the Disco, to put shotguns in at the time, so they will definitely fit. I had planned to leave it in the car all the time as its very heavy and quite large, in the end I decided it left too little space beneath the roller blind so I sold it. Lastly the dog boxes they make are wonderful, light, with a grilles at high level only (apart from the door) and, best of all they don,t rattle or squeak!!!

Regards

Alex

Thanks again chaps. I think for now I favour the combination lock / cable, but will mull over a while. I dropped into conversation with the missus the other day, that my present Passat Estate would ultimately be replaced with an Isuzu Utah. Her reply was quite choice, I wonder if it would make any difference if I told her I favour a TL5 over the Hunter's Pack :popcorn:

I recently saw a guy who ran a chain through the rifle and then through one of the tie down clips in the boot before locking it. probably could be ripped out with force but at least he was making an effort i guess.

It is acceptable to take 'reasonable precautions'.

Have a look at Part 7 of this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf

From my point of view, car locked, rifle out of sight, ammunition separate and bolt away with me does for most circumstances.
If the car is to be left for a while in higher-risk areas, I pass a security cable through the spare wheel and secure the rifle through the receiver to that.

Plus 1

only point I would add is make sure all shooting type gear is well out of sight so it doesn't attract attention from either criminal fraternity or antis.

i use a plastic coated wire cable with eyelets in and out of the mag well,then a anti cut motor bike chain and a coded padlock that go's around and in the seat frames behind the seats no room to get a cutter in without sealing motor as well so i'v done all i can in law. i used to have in my old truck an old 2 gun safe and had it made so it looked like a boom box with dummy cd player aswell but lost the back seats due to it. now just chain them down .

Back