Sako Quad .22LR extraction problem

cerva

I just bought a new .22LR Sako Quad varmint. Obviously not for stalking.
Had a few shots with Winchester Subs. Groups well but problems with extracting spent cases. Some complaints on other fora.
Anybody experienced similar problems? Any particular ammo the Sako likes to eject without trouble?

Cerva

That is very interesting. I have a CZ Silhouette and have exactly the same problem with the Winchester subs. I use RWS and since switching have had not a single extraction issue. I would say with the Winchesters it was one in every 30 ish - possibly more possibly less. The thing is it does bugger up a lamping session as you have to find something suitable to get the case out before carrying on.

I was told that the CZ Silhouette has a match chamber but not sure if this is true/correct??

How frequently would you say it happens with yours?

Cheers

JB

Very problematic. 75% of the first 50 shots! I was shooting on paper targets but still very frustrating and irritating.

I have a CZ 452 American 22Lr i have had this for around 12 years at work i shot thousands of rounds through it always Winchester subs until 3 years ago. I never had a problem with the spent cartridge not clearing.
I have some old Winchester subs and when you compare them to the newer batches they have a heavier wax like coating on the head. not sure why may be to stop lead poisoning :D I can only assume that the coating is building up in the chamber and causing the spent cartridge to stick as in the past a good clean has sorted the problem for a 100 rounds or so but it has cut some nights under the lamp short as they Winchesters subs became a problem. I have now swapped to Eley subs and the problem has disappeared as I have not had a problem in the last 3 years. http://www.eley.co.uk/ammunition/products/subsonic-hollow.aspx

hope this helps
All The Best Ash

Cerva
Had the same problem with my sako rim fire and so did my mate. Sent mine back and they changed the extractor under warranty. Its been fine ever since :D Your not the 1st person to suffer this problem its quite common aparently :rolleyes:
Its just annoying that you pay so much for a sako and they cant sort the problem out before putting the rifle on the shelf to sell. Contact your dealer who you purchased it from and get him to send it back and get it sorted under warranty.
Fester

just out of interest yesterday i sent an email to winchester and got this back

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us here at Winchester Ammunition. We are always glad to hear from our many friends and customers who share in the shooting sport.

Winchester Licenses the Winchester name to Browning International S.A. for the manufacture and distribution of Winchester brand ammunition products in (Europe). The product you have inquired about is distributed by Bowning International S.A.. Please direct your inquiry to: Browning International S.A., Parc Industriel des Hauts-Sarts, 3eme Avenue 25, 4040 Herstal, Belgium. E-Mail: Smits@browning-int.com

Thank you again for contacting us here at Winchester Ammunition. If you should require additional information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Winchester Technical Department

Guys thanks for your interest and replies. The Quad is certainly under warranty as it is less than a week old. This weekend i will try Eley and RWS rounds. If still problematic I have no alternative but to get it fixed or replaced. If the other brands work, i will email winchester.

I exchanged my winchester subs for RWS, Eley and Lapua Subs. The last 3 brands seem to extract without any problems after shooting. Quick test... 15 rounds of each brand. Not a single extraction problem - extraction problem seems sorted so far.

I exchanged my winchester subs for RWS, Eley and Lapua Subs. The last 3 brands seem to extract without any problems after shooting. Quick test... 15 rounds of each brand. Not a single extraction problem - extraction problem seems sorted so far.

Hi Jean, As on the day in question, I suggested the change of diet!, but all the above are also valid fixes, & thanks for the link re Martinnii. Steve.

Back