Issues with CCI 450 Magnum Primers ??

Mutley

I have been trying the above on the 6.5x47, I have been getting the odd hang fire, now we are not talking seconds, just a noticeable pause from pin hitting home to ignition, only about 4 in the last 30 shots. My firing pin is hitting all with the same force when inspecting shells afterwards, or at least they all look the same. I had no problems with the Federal primers.
Only trying them as it seems that these are the best for the 6.5x47, just having a play so its no great shakes to settle on the Federal anyway.

Last edited:
Perhaps the CCI's are a bit harder to seat and they are not seated as well as the Federal ones. If you have some of the primers left carefully inspect them and see if you can notice any difference in the height of the anvil in the new primers. Perhaps some less than perfect ones slipped through?

Thanks for the reply, funnily enough the one thing I did notice was that the CCI's actually seated easier than the Federals, the latter sometime wont seat properly and I have to start again. I will carry on with the CCI's for a while, it is probably me, as usual.

It might be time to get a primer pocket reamer or unifier. I have the cheap option the reamer which I needed years back to remove the military staked crimp from some 7.62x51 cases I was using.

A bit miffed if I have to ream out brand new Lapua brass to get a CCI primer to work properly, as I said I will just go back to the Federal, not a single problem with them.
Cheers

A bit miffed if I have to ream out brand new Lapua brass to get a CCI primer to work properly, as I said I will just go back to the Federal, not a single problem with them.
Cheers

Mutley. Would a trip to see the craftsman who built your expensive rifle not be an option to pursue? Good luck. JCS

Mutley. Would a trip to see the craftsman who built your expensive rifle not be an option to pursue? Good luck. JCS

Not a problem with the rifle, only a problem with the CCI primers, he uses them in his 6.5x47. Now I have the loads sorted its a tackdriver

Who told you that? CCI BR4s are also very good option in the 6.5x47

I meant CCI primers are considered to be the ones to go for (450's or BR4) I tried the 450's as that is what was available at the time, I would have gone with the BR4's if that was the only option.
TBH I don't see any difference between them, rifle shoots the same with either of them, just seems the Federals don't hang fire at all.

Back