new .243 rifle to buy - any suggestions?

david1976

Up until now, I have been shooting roe with my .22-250 (I live in Scotland) although I have recently aquired some new land with larger species of deer and as such have had a .243 put on my ticket.

I am looking to trade/sell my current .22-250 and buy a .243 instead.

I know that everyone has their own ideas on what makes a good rifle for stalking but I was looking for suggestions on what models you use.

I reckon I can afford about £550 for the rifle either new or s/h and then I will get a moderator on top of this at the extra cost.

I know that sako and tikka are good but they are out of my price range and wondered are the likes of mossberg, browning i have seen on guntrader are like.

Stalking is mostly walked up rather than high seats so lighter weights would be an advantage.

Get a HOWA mate. You won't regret it and about the right price range too. A lot of rifle for not much money although they do seem to have gone up a bit lately. You may struggle getting one too which should tell you something about them! ;)

Hello David,

I have been using a 243 Steyr MKII prohunter for the last couple of years. Excellent rifle with first class safety system. Mine will shoot sub 1/2 inch with home loads and an inch with Norma factory . I have just purchased a 6.5x55 so it up for sale too, complete with ATec mod and Zeiss 6x42.

ATB

Tom

Continental Shooting Supplies have a Sako 75 for £600 in 243. Almost unused. At that price its a great bargain.

I got a brand new Remington 700 SPS DM in .243 for that price back in the summer. Admitidly it's my first rifle, so I don't have much to compare to but I'm very happy with it. Althought the stock is a bit flimsy, it's certainly very accurate, even with me behind the trigger!

for that sort of money you should be able to get yourself a new or nearly new cz. o.k. there not the worlds most refined rifle but they do shoot straight. if you can save up the extra cash tho and get the sako 75 jeffers mentioned i dont think you will regret it. i use one and it really is a very nice peice of kit.

My first choice would be howa 243 sporter in stainless. Second would be remmy sporter, again rather in stainless. Had a howa and it is just a much smoother rifle than the remmy. I'm using a remmy 243 for vermin and deer at the moment. Very accurate but not as refined as the howa. Maybe remmys need a bit more fiddeling.
If you have a choice rather get a wooden stock compared to the plastic ones, at least they are useable. Later you can always upgrade to a composite stock.

edi

Have a look on guntrader. There is a browning a bolt composite, brand new for £515. Good rifles.

Having recommended the Howa previously, I would also second the Sako 75. I got a second hand one last week and it is really nice! Bloody accurate too! :)

Another vote for the Sako 75 if its in good nik its a bargain, v,nice rifle. Howa works very well but no finesse.

Like thomas I have a pro hunter mountain but in 223. A year later I bought a sako 75 syn SS in 243, nice rifle but to be honest I like the pro hunter better. Better safety system, better magazine, no play in the bolt when open and more compact. Either would be a great choice.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

I am hoping to buy a tikka t3 laminate stainless from a member of this site. I will post some pics to show how I get on with it when I get it.

David.

Save your pennies for a little longer and go for the Sako85 s/s and I will guarantee you will not be disappointed.

My .243 straight out of the box with an S and B 8x56 30mm Hungarian glass and is now putting 3 in 1" @ 100 mtrs. (from pods)

Rocky

Hi David
I'm relatively new to full bore rifles and was given conflicting advice when looking to buy. Some said spend as much as possible, but after much head scratching I have a Howa 1500 heavy barrel. Unlike some other .243 it's doesn't seem fussy about ammo. Mean while I hear lots of horror stories about very expensive rifles.

Another vote for the Tikka T3. I've got the stainless synthetic and love it.

Factory-loads wise, using 100gr's for Roe and Munties, in mine, although Winchesters give tighter groups, RWS definitely have more knowck-down power for only slightly larger groups. And at the ranges I take most of my shots (I.e. vast majority much less than 150yds), the group size doesn't matter all that much.

The only downside, is that having a T8 mod on it, with the synthetic stock, the balance is wrong for carrying it on a sling muzzle up, so I tend to carry mine muzzle down.

Whatever you get, enjoy it!

R H

Back