Thread: Kingfishers in the highlands

Kingfishers in the highlands

Not stalking related but while walking along the river peffery in Dingwall this afternoon after the football I observed a bird half a dozen times which was the same size and description of a kingfisher, striking blue plumage. Each time I was opposite it carried on up steam. This is a first for me as I've never seen one in the flesh before. I was wondering if any one else had seen spotted one this far north?

ATB wallace

I've seen them on the Spey and Dee, but cant say I've looked for them further north as my fishing forays further up there were few and far between

A first for me Alan. Don't normally notice much with wee birds but its blue plumage caught my eye. Stunning bird though.

ATB wallace

Have quite a few around here,30ish miles North of Aberdeen but cant say I have seen as far as Inverness but I don't doubt they are there.Hopefully they will have had a good year with no nests getting flooded with the dry spell and you cant mistake them when they go past.Like a luminous blue missile.

Few of them on the river Ythan (16 miles north of Aberdeen) but Id say that numbers are declining unfortunately !

I have seen them on the Glass regularly. They often favour the numerous bays found between Cannich and Struy. I too was surprised to see they were this far north. David

Cracking looking birds, there's one about the Caledonian canal in Inverness the past few weeks.

Nice to hear they are throughout the country, I watched one catching its dinner earlier in the year, if only i had such luck everytime i went fishing, & what a colour isn't nature a marvelous thing.

River Teith at Doune Castle seems to run a shuttle service on the Neon streaks.