6.5 06

swarovski

My rifle is still at proofhouse, am well fed up now, not sure what the hold up is, I sent some sized cases, heads and reloading data, they must he able to seat the bullets somehow if they haven't 6.5 06 seater die

You could seat the bullets with a seater from a 270 just nead to be carefull . Just not crimping them . And if they wanted to crimp them they "should" be able to crimp with a 260 REM or 6.5x55 die . One just needs to use their brain and a little bit of a Rube Goldberg effect .

Actually if you set the 260 or 6.5x55 seating die high enough to do the crimp hypothetically you should be able to seat the bullet with that die as well I would think !

I just made dummy 8mm-06 and 338-06 using an 8x57 die to open 30-06 brass to accept the 8mm bullet and used a 338 Win Mag die to open the 06 brass to 338 . Used the 8x57 die to seat the bullet in the 8mm-06 case and seated the 338 bullet in that case using the 06 dies although that wasn't the way one would want to do it on a regular basis . But the dummy rounds looked okay !

No need to sell me on the 6.5-06 !

Ever since I sold the Mauser actioned one I had I've wanted another !

I am also getting a good bit intrested in the 8mm-06 .

Am thinking a pair of Ruger #1B's would look great chambered for the pair or a pair of older Remington 700 LA's !

And quite possibly a Blaser K-95 with two barrels . I would think that K-95 with those two barrels would work lovely for anything I would ever wanna do on the continent or the UK !
And the only reason for the 8mm-06 would be wild piggies and moose in the Scandinavian countries .

I did hear that one way of getting a speedy return is to supply a few rounds of ammo, factory or handloaded. This gives them the option of just oiling a case and firing one of those, rather than making up a proof round specifically. The range of proof cartridges currently held in stock is probably quite limited now, judging by the number that have been sold off over the years.

Trouble is the proof house seems to be a law unto itself. My .280 AI ended up stuck there for ages as well.

I couldn't wait any longer, I rang proofhouse, my rifle is stamped and ready for collecting by my gun smith :D:D

i get a servant cert from a pal and make an appointment and take it and wait i also only give them an action and barrel saves on damage! :eek:

you can take your or other firearms to the proof house with a copy of the gun maker/dealer cert ,that way you are in his service for that action or visit . the last one i done was at the Birmingham Proof house i arranged to pick up my rifle at 930am after a rebarrel job, a time think it was a 10am drop off and waited two hrs had a walk around at the older part of proof house and drove out for some lunch got back at think 1230 and picked it up, i then returned back to the dealer who put the stock back on as only the reciver and barrel is needed and saves them removeing the stock and pos damage, then he made my rifle back over to me (thats it all done ) as the rebarrel work had passed i then paid him the fee of £40 odd as he had an account with the BPH, so with the drive from essex around 9hrs and running it next that night

Last edited:
Picking up my new toy tomorrow, hopefully have a go at 1000yds :D

Come on now! You won't be shooting at 1000 tomorrow! You'll need three days and 500 patches to properly 'run-in' the barrel. Another two days to properly clean the barrel. Two weeks at the gunsmith having a bore scope run through it. Another 4 months waiting for the new barrel to be fit since the gunsmith will tell you that THIS one is shot out. Then 3 months at the proof house.

Maybe in the spring if you're lucky.~Muir

It will be as shot in as it can get by the time you've gotten a rough zero on your scope.

I was at the range working with my BAR 30-06 last week on an overcast day. There was a fellow with a large tent/awning set up over the shooting bench and his rifle. He was shooting one shot then meticulously cleaning the bore, then repeating, and repeating, ad nauseum. I ambled over and asked if he was 'breaking in' his barrel. He said he was and had been at it for two hours by that time. I nodded and asked if he thought the job would be done by the beginning of deer season. He mumbled something and pushed another patch down the bore. What a waste.~Muir

PS: Got your load? 140 A-Max?

It will be as shot in as it can get by the time you've gotten a rough zero on your scope.

I was at the range working with my BAR 30-06 last week on an overcast day. There was a fellow with a large tent/awning set up over the shooting bench and his rifle. He was shooting one shot then meticulously cleaning the bore, then repeating, and repeating, ad nauseum. I ambled over and asked if he was 'breaking in' his barrel. He said he was and had been at it for two hours by that time. I nodded and asked if he thought the job would be done by the beginning of deer season. He mumbled something and pushed another patch down the bore. What a waste.~Muir

PS: Got your load? 140 A-Max?

I asked a USA custom barrel maker who will remain nameless about his thoughts on breaking in a barrel !

He looked at me and laughed and told me the 300 or so shots the typical break in process calls for were that much closer to him selling a new barrel !

He told me a good custom lapped barrel from most manufacturers should be as good as it's going toget after about a dozen shots . And in "his" opinion break in of a custom barrel was in his words "a waste of time" !

I kinda agree with what he said for custom or factory barrels !

I do however usually follow a greater cleaning practice with 20 and 22 centerfires then is most likely needed . But thats me and I ain't preaching it to others .

Thanks boys that will save me doing it, cant say I like do7ny it though ive only done it on my 308, no others :D

Yeah. Skip it. Give it a wipe before you shoot it and then have fun. My argument to this guy at the range, should he have defended the practice, would have been to ask how well it would have shot if he hadn't 'run it in". He wouldn't be able to answer. Nobody can. As I have said in the past: Factory rifle have their cherry popped before the rifle is boxed. Custom guns get test fired (one would hope!) and in your case, they go to the proof house for legislated abuse. I think the ship sailed on running it in. Additionally, what are you spending good money on if the maker tells you to 'run in' the barrel?? When this fantasy first surfaced in the US, Douglas Barrels said their barrels didn't need any such treatment but a person was welcome to do it. McMillan Barrels, iirc, called it an outright scam.

The funny thing was that when I got my DPMS AR-10, they weakly suggested looking up various 'running in' techniques and using them on the new rifle. I ignored the suggestion. The rifle shoots fine.~Muir

Yeah. Skip it. Give it a wipe before you shoot it and then have fun. My argument to this guy at the range, should he have defended the practice, would have been to ask how well it would have shot if he hadn't 'run it in". He wouldn't be able to answer. Nobody can. As I have said in the past: Factory rifle have their cherry popped before the rifle is boxed. Custom guns get test fired (one would hope!) and in your case, they go to the proof house for legislated abuse. I think the ship sailed on running it in. Additionally, what are you spending good money on if the maker tells you to 'run in' the barrel?? When this fantasy first surfaced in the US, Douglas Barrels said their barrels didn't need any such treatment but a person was welcome to do it. McMillan Barrels, iirc, called it an outright scam.

The funny thing was that when I got my DPMS AR-10, they weakly suggested looking up various 'running in' techniques and using them on the new rifle. I ignored the suggestion. The rifle shoots fine.~Muir

A fellow I know pretty well that used to be a gunsmith here in Virginia but now resides in Arizona claims you need to do the break in thing as he recently built a pair of 6.5 Creedmoor's for another friend and his son . The guy used Shilen target grade stainless barrels and sent them a break in process "he said" should be followedto the letter !

Now this guy built some excellent 1000 yard rifles a few years back when he was still building here in Virginia . And he has a couple bench guns he built for himself that are tenth inch guns on good days and consistent 1/4" guns . But I personally think he's full of shyte about the break in thing !

When I was hung up on the Remington VSSF and stainless flutted Sendero's I would usually shoot 4 shots clean and do that maybe 4 or 5 times . After about 16-20 shots I was done . And I will say this , I have never fired one of these rifles that wasn't capable of 1/2 MOA out the box ! Well I did always mess with the trigger a bit . But they always shot well with handloads .

Back