8mm-08

6pt-sika

Any of you fellows ever run across an 8mm-08 over there ?

308 case necked up to 8mm .

Don't think I ever heard mention of one here , but since I've become intrested in the old 8mm-06 the 8mm-08 seemed worth thinking about as well .

Already done the 338 Federal and liked it alot . Not an advocate of the 358 WIN or the 35 Whelen . Gotta say the only 35 cal I really ever liked was the 356 WIN and thats nothing more then a 358 WIN with a rim , the only reason I liked it was because of the Marlin 336ER as it was chambered for the 356 WIN .

Any of you fellows ever run across an 8mm-08 over there ?

308 case necked up to 8mm .

Don't think I ever heard mention of one here , but since I've become intrested in the old 8mm-06 the 8mm-08 seemed worth thinking about as well .

Already done the 338 Federal and liked it alot . Not an advocate of the 358 WIN or the 35 Whelen . Gotta say the only 35 cal I really ever liked was the 356 WIN and thats nothing more then a 358 WIN with a rim , the only reason I liked it was because of the Marlin 336ER as it was chambered for the 356 WIN .

I would have thought that the 8mm 06 would be the better option with a larger case capacity?
My new .280 AI is basically a 7mm 06! Very pleased with that. I can't justify another just yet though! Sounds interesting though!
MS

The 8mm-06 was a post WWII "conversion" of the Model 98 Mausers that were flooding the market. Eight by Fifty-seven brass was hard to come by and 30-06 brass was plentiful. Using that logic, there would be no reason to expect a 8mm-08 to surface except in the mind of some twisted gun nut.:lol: I have shot 8mm-06's quite a bit and had a reamer for it back in the day. Excellent cartridge. The main problem with them is that the 8x57 magazine was too short for the 8-06 round with anything but the lighter bullets. Almost any rechambering to 8-06 would entail a serious press for the owner to also lengthen the magazine at the same time: Often a job more expensive than the rechambering process. Few guys did it. The best way i found to do it was the old method of carefully sawing off the magazine front and welding in a halved section of 12ga shotgun barrel. I would then trace the outline of the magazine on the bottom of the receiver and go to work remaking the feed ramp. It was a neat conversion that often allowed the original follower to be used.

OK. You guys didn't need my trip down memory lane. I get that way when I'm tired. Just picked up my "new" 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup truck in Wyoming.~Muir

The 8mm-06 was a post WWII "conversion" of the Model 98 Mausers that were flooding the market. Eight by Fifty-seven brass was hard to come by and 30-06 brass was plentiful. Using that logic, there would be no reason to expect a 8mm-08 to surface except in the mind of some twisted gun nut.~Muir

I was well aware of how the 8mm-06 came to be in this country .

And as to reason , really as far as I'm concerned rhyme or reason have nothing to do with rifles and catridges .

I would have thought that the 8mm 06 would be the better option with a larger case capacity?
My new .280 AI is basically a 7mm 06! Very pleased with that. I can't justify another just yet though! Sounds interesting though!
MS

I have no problem with the 8-06 being the better option . But if all I were intrested in was the better option then more then likely I would get a 8mm REM MAG and be done with it !

Last edited:
We don't see many 8mm in the uk - mostly an issue with firearms licensing who see any thing above .30 as quite big. To be honest not a huge need in the UK for nothing above a 30-06, indeed smaller calibres get the job done probably just as well (head down for incoming!!).

8mm though is popular on the continent, with 8x57 and its rimmed 8x57r good for wild boar. Pure conjecture, but suggest 8mm-08, will be on a par with the 8x57, in the same way that the 7-08 is with the 7x57, in other words it will through similar weight bullets at similar velocities, but operating more efficiently at slightly higher pressures, more suited to modern rifles.

6pt-Sika, I think that you do need to try it and see where it fits between the 308 and 338 federal. But you must do this in the interests of research, rather than justification for another rifle!

Last edited:
so who will now call the .243 a 6mm 08?

It just goes to show just how many of our 'extensive' range of calibres are merely permutations on the same theme. There are so many variations of the .308 & 30.06 now to feed our human desire to effectively fix something that was never actually broken!;)
I, for one, am guilty as charged!:D
MS

[
OK. You guys didn't need my trip down memory lane. I get that way when I'm tired. Just picked up my "new" 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup truck in Wyoming.~Muir[/QUOTE]

A classic. indi front or beam axel?
​diesel or petrol?

I was well aware of how the 8mm-06 came to be in this country .

And as to reason , really as far as I'm concerned rhyme or reason have nothing to do with rifles and catridges .

Read the post again, brother. I acknowledged that. I run the same logic. I have considered having any corrosive ammo-blackened 30 caliber re-cut to 8mm. 8mm Krag, etc. I'm a twisted gun nut, too.~Muir

[
OK. You guys didn't need my trip down memory lane. I get that way when I'm tired. Just picked up my "new" 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup truck in Wyoming.~Muir

A classic. indi front or beam axel?
​diesel or petrol?[/QUOTE]

Gasoline. Didn't look under the front end. I need to replace the timing-chain guides. Other than that, it's dented, has some surface rust and runs well. Only 80K original miles. It was very cheap.~Muir

It just goes to show just how many of our 'extensive' range of calibres are merely permutations on the same theme. There are so many variations of the .308 & 30.06 now to feed our human desire to effectively fix something that was never actually broken!;)
I, for one, am guilty as charged!:D
MS

What do shotgunners have to write about on forums - they basically have the 12 and 20 bore. There is the odd smattering of 16, 28 and 410's in use but not in any thing like huge numbers as well as the very occasional 10, and 8 bore. Long gone are all the fun things like 14, 24, 32 bores etc:)

Muir, hilux are supposed to have dents, it improves the aerodynamics.
suggest you keep a spare UJ, ours eat them . and a set of poly spring bushes and a spare rear spring.
be good for years

Muir, hilux are supposed to have dents, it improves the aerodynamics.
suggest you keep a spare UJ, ours eat them . and a set of poly spring bushes and a spare rear spring.
be good for years

Thanks for the advice. Independent front suspension by the look of it. Your diesels probably have more torque than the U's can take! The gas (petrol) engine in this one is the R22 which is a very solid engine but for the plastic timing chain guides they switched to in 1984. They always go to crap between 80 and 100K. Sounds like a valve tick until you back off the throttle and then you hear the 'drumming' sound of the chain slapping against the housing. An afternoon's fix. I'm told. I'm no mechanic. I'm giving a professional mechanic friend a much hated CZ 453 Varmint to do the job for me.~Muir

Back