Multi fuel burner

Psyxologos

Hi all. I would appreciate some help please. A friend of ours moved into a home that has a multi fuel burner but they want to get rid of it, so they offered it to us. We are excited about the prospect, but we really know very little about the process and who to contact about it. I guess we need a builder or heating technician to come over and install a flue through our chimney, right? Any idea how much these things cost? It needs some TLC as a seal (looks like it is made out of some rope like material) around the door is broken and will need replacing. I attach some pictures of the burner, just in case anyone can recognise the manufacturer or can give me some more information about heat output etc. Many thanks for your help in advance!IMAG1376.jpgIMAG1377.jpgIMAG1378.jpg

Had a couple over the years, the seal is heat resistant so the doors close against the burner properly, they are very efficient and run on any wood even evergreen. I ran mine with a coal base then topped it up with wood throughout the evening. Best thing to do if nobody comes forward would be to go to a place that sells them, they normally sub out to guys who then instal them.

I assume you already have a fireplace with a chiminey ?
I have read up a bit about installing one and as far as I understand it is recommended to have the chiminey swept first and then install wht they call a register plate.Basically a steel plate with a hole in it to accomodate the flue.The plate is fitted above the stove and the flue pipe goes up through it.

I am not qualified to say this but its just what I have read on internet.
If you google it loads of information

I think you will find that you must have a stainless steel flue liner fitted to the flue as well.

​Richard

Hi mate give these a ring they are only in Carnforth so only around the corner from you 01524 720030 thheat there on the web.

It's not rocket science fitting them. Cost normaly I reckon is around £300 fixtures and fittings. Get three quotes from firms, my mate did and two said don't need a liner other one said he did don't tell them you have already been quoted as they will probably ask their verdict and work in line with them.
​i no a few guys local to you who sell hard wood at good prices.

I think you will find that you must have a stainless steel flue liner fitted to the flue as well.

​Richard

thats what the people who sell them will tell you but I do not think it is building regs as long as you have a class A chimmney but once again just my opinion and would need to be checked

Probably cost about about 500 quid for the job lot , the rope seal around the door will cost about a fiver to repair , they are well worth having my mum and dad have had one over 20 years and saves them a fortune when I buy a new house as opposed to renting I'll be installing one , ask around building and timber yards etc for scrap timber and save on having to buy wood , I did the same years ago and now get all our timber free

They aren't difficult to fit, you should be able to get all you need from fluesuppliesdirect.com (think that's what they're called) and I found them to b the cheapest. The fire rope comes in different widths so make sure you get the right one. Get the tubes of fire cement for joints.

Use stainless screws where you need to and put vermiculite (a granular fireproof insulation) between the flue (fluen is fed in from the roof and make sure it is the correct direction - arrows up) and existing chimney, this makes the burner more efficient and stops any condensation. Put a bit of cement on top of the chimney to seal the gap between the flue and chimney then put on your weather cap.

Use the smokeless tablets to check the seal by closing everything and letting the tablet fill the stove with the powder. Once you are happy there are no leaks open up and the draw should clear it immediately. Let the fire cement set before you light it the first time and make the first heat is quite low.

Its worth getting a stove thermometer as you can knacker the stainless flues with too much heat and it means you can burn more efficiently, they only cost about £15 from evil bay.

Just check your home insurance as some will require a certificate!! There are loads of videos on interweb to watch for instruction.

Last edited:
Fitted one myself to my last property. As has been said buy a stainless steel flue liner. Climb on roof and drop correct end of flue liner down chimney. Then fit register plate to 'roof' of fireplace in the house. Ensure that flue is well attached to register plate, (this will require a fitting kit) and that stove fits well wit register plate (fire cement will assist).

Pour vermiculite down chimney between flue liner and chimney (ours was a two storey Lincolnshire cottage and we neded 6 cubic metres), then add the cap. The cap should be bolted in position so that it. An be removed for cleaning. If you have a friend locally who has fitted one before you can do it yourself in an afternoon. We found thehardest part was fitting the register plate and making sure the stove was level.

Forgot to say, building regs which an be found online state you MUST have a fireproof material, specific sizes which I can't recall but think the front is 300mm, around the stove. Just worth considering as the hearth can cost a bit!!

Lining the chimney is about stopping the smoke condensing on th einside of the chimney. A lined chimney gets up to temp quicky and prevents the tars from the wood condensing onto it. An unlined chimney generally is a larger colder space and so harder to heat for its entire length leading to tar deposits which are very difficult to shift, are a fire hazard and can leach through walls into rooms.

Lining really is the better option.

Dave

Hi all. I would appreciate some help please. A friend of ours moved into a home that has a multi fuel burner but they want to get rid of it, so they offered it to us. We are excited about the prospect, but we really know very little about the process and who to contact about it. I guess we need a builder or heating technician to come over and install a flue through our chimney, right? Any idea how much these things cost? It needs some TLC as a seal (looks like it is made out of some rope like material) around the door is broken and will need replacing. I attach some pictures of the burner, just in case anyone can recognise the manufacturer or can give me some more information about heat output etc. Many thanks for your help in advance!View attachment 32442View attachment 32440

I've fitted dozens of wood burners there not a problem to fit in Scotland we currently have no regulations for wood burners but south of the border it is different .http://www.hetas.co.uk/professionals/installers/safety-notices/

If you require any info on the fitting HOW to give me a call I'll be only to happy to pass on what information I have .

Many thanks everyone. It sounds like getting a proffesional to line the chimney is the way forward. I will have to get a few quotes from local people then. So do I look for HETA registered contractors to carry out the job?

Hi mate give these a ring they are only in Carnforth so only around the corner from you 01524 720030 thheat there on the web.

It's not rocket science fitting them. Cost normaly I reckon is around £300 fixtures and fittings. Get three quotes from firms, my mate did and two said don't need a liner other one said he did don't tell them you have already been quoted as they will probably ask their verdict and work in line with them.
​i no a few guys local to you who sell hard wood at good prices.

Thanks mate. I gave them a call but they will only install a stove they supply, not one I already have. Any more suggestions as to who to contact would be greatly appreciated!

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

I don't mate sorry I've always fitted mine myself, I've done straight out the back and from the top. It's easy nothing in. Google hetas engineers click on find an engineer and enter your post code plenty will come up guaranteed.
A couple of ways to save money, buy welding gloves as a quater of the price as to the ones designed for wood burners and collect drift wood from along the promenade plenty about as with recent high tides, take your dog if go of as not long ago a dog walker found some ambergris.

I don't mate sorry I've always fitted mine myself, I've done straight out the back and from the top. It's easy nothing in. Google hetas engineers click on find an engineer and enter your post code plenty will come up guaranteed.
A couple of ways to save money, buy welding gloves as a quater of the price as to the ones designed for wood burners and collect drift wood from along the promenade plenty about as with recent high tides, take your dog if go of as not long ago a dog walker found some ambergris.

I have called a few engineers from the HETA website and they will pop in next week. They said they are too busy this week. See what they say. I do not want to pay a fortune for it...

Had one installed into old chimney last year that used to have the old boiler flue run up it. Local Sweep company came removed old gas liner swept chimney and then did visual inspection followed by a smoke leak test. This all passed so meant that the chimney did not need lining. Guys measured up for a bespoke register plate with sweep holes then came back 2 weeks later and fitted. All done and dusted parts and labour for about £350 HETAS approved. Saves a packet not having to line chimney.

Back