Hawke scopes and reticles

private fraser

Just bought a scope with the r6 reticle but not had a chance to use it.
It's mounted on the .22 rimfire.
I think the map8 is specific to .22 subs but using the Hawke
brc I now have a chart and reticle print.

The scope also has a ballistic turret so all options are there. I'm looking at long distance (around 100 yard) rabbits.
Don't want to get .17hmr as don't like the round and also the rabbits are for the pot.

Just wondering what others who have Hawke scopes experience of them is?.

Thanks, fraser

I now have a number of quality scopes, 2 Leupolds, Sightron & Schmidt bender but I do and have owned a number of airgun oriented scopes. A few weeks ago I noticed one of my Hawke scopes has some dust in it, or the paint is breaking down. This wasn't new to me and suspect it's more than 10 years old.

More than the durability of the scope, consider if it fits your requirements. For example I bought an MTC mail order and discovered the thing was too large for what I wanted. Massive turrets & knobs and was very long. Also check what the paralax is set to. ~25 yards would be typical for an airgun; 100 yards for a firearm. If its a paralax adjustable scope, you'll find loads of adjustment up to 100 yards then very little afterwards. Again tailored to airgun usage.

For use on a .22LR, I don't see any problems.

Hawke scopes.

I have used a hawke endurance for years now-first it was on a 223 and now I have it on my 243.This is the one with the L4 dot and it really works well for me.I suppose a lot of people will reply saying that hawke scopes should not be used on a centrefire rifle but if it works at last light and under the lamp and holds its zero-I say why not!!

I have used a hawke endurance for years now-first it was on a 223 and now I have it on my 243.This is the one with the L4 dot and it really works well for me.I suppose a lot of people will reply saying that hawke scopes should not be used on a centrefire rifle but if it works at last light and under the lamp and holds its zero-I say why not!!
+1 pipeman, I have use the Hawke Endurance 30 on 308 and 7mm RemMag rifles without issues on recoil induced shifts in the point of aim etc ,those that criticise these scopes are not being objective(pun intended) ,try one at £260 they are a snip,I have had S&B/Zeiss/Swarovski over the years,if the Hawke scopes perform for me that is field experience and not theoretical heresay :rolleyes:

I have had a Hawke scope with the old MAP8 ret on my 22 for years, used in conjunction with the Hawke free ballistic download it has served me well. I very much doubt I would have shot any more rabbits with the rifle if I had put one of my more expensive ones on it. I also have a pair of Hawke \frontier binos, nothing wrong with those either.

Have to say I have a Hawke scope (not sure which model) but it has a MAP recticle and hasn't left my 22lr in 3 years with no issues with zero. I have the aim points worked out for RWS subs and when the silage is cut, and the wind drops close to dusk, I would be happy to lie prone and knock bunnies on the head with my Anschutz out to 90 and 100yds. Use a range finder and learn what distance the aiming points correspond to-I would always prefer to not be dialing in ranges to ensure zero stays set.
Best Regards,
FNF

I use a Hawke endurance 30 l4 ill dot on my 17 hmr (see classifieds :thumb:)and have been really impressed with the clarity and build quality ok not in Zeiss/Swaro league but for
£200 ish quid very good indeed.

I've got a Hawke map6 on my .22LR.
The map6 is really preset to air-rifle use. It's the map8 that's preset to .22LR.
However, using the hawke ballistic charts it's been easy enough to use the map6 on the .22LR.
Zeroed at 50yards, on 8x mag, it gives me the first spot down for 65yards, second spot down for 80, third spot for 100 and the final mark is at 110.
Most of my rabbiting is between 50 - 65 yards, and my longest headshot was at 113 yards, which probably equates pretty closely to other peoples experience, so on that basis I'd say the Hawke map6 is just the job on a .22LR.

Hawke Eclipse 30 L4 Ret............never had a bad scope from Hawke

I just bought an air rifle with a hawke 3-9x50 nite-eye on
try as I might it wont focus, good job it was cheap, at the moment its wearing a Leupold zoom on that cost more than the airgun.

Those rated for centrefire are in a different league to some models for air rifles,I have used both,the Endurance range is much beefier in build quality and recoil protection. Chuck Hawkes(for real) did a nice write up on them for the US Market if you Google it is on the Net .( Link is Randy Wakeman Outdoors)

Last edited:
Back