Double rifle - O/U

30-06

.375 H&H - which O/U rifle is rated to be the best. Within a budget of 5k.

Planning to put one on my ticket for Africa hence starting to do some research.

Hoshang

You may well struggle to find a good new 375h&h double for £5000, but this is definately the sort of money that you get a good 9.3x74r for. There are good double rifle forums on http://www.accuratereloading.com and NitroExpress.com welcomes you to nitro express and big bore and big game action.

Merkels are really good and well built. The Verney Carrons seem to be well made, affordable and well respected. Keep an eye on the Holts Auction - there are often some Ferlach built doubles for pretty reasonable prices. Beretta and other Italian makers are also making some nice doubles. I have had a look at the Blaser doubles - technically probably really good, but just don't like them.

By choosing an over and under you have done yourself a big favour. Prices of side by side doubles, especially old British built ones are getting pricey.

Bear in mind that the 375 h&h is a belted case and not rimmed. Opinion is out as to whether a non rimmed case works in a double. The 9.3x74r is a rimmed case, and not that far behind 375h&h in terms of power, but big debate over whether suitable for dangerous game (same argument as 243 and red deer).

Bear in mind that the 375 h&h is a belted case and not rimmed. Opinion is out as to whether a non rimmed case works in a double. The 9.3x74r is a rimmed case, and not that far behind 375h&h in terms of power, but big debate over whether suitable for dangerous game (same argument as 243 and red deer).

The problem with 9.3x74 in Africa isn't the power - it is that it's legally too small a calibre for dangerous game, as the minimum in most African countries is .375" / 9.5mm. A South African PH would be placing his licence at risk if he took a client out on dangerous game using a 9.3x74.

As for its effectiveness, I doubt the animal would be any less dead on the receiving end of either.

​Adam.

Just looking at the Holts catalogue - auction it is today and will be interesting to see what these make.

Cookie Not Accepted : Holts Auctioneers

Sale A190913 Lot 1200

RIZZINI
A 9.3X74R 'MOD. EXPRESS 90' ROUND-BODY SINGLE-TRIGGER OVER AND UNDER DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 55690,
cat. no. 7095, 23 1/2in. nitro barrels with stepped solid matt top rib, open sights and ramped high visibility fore-sight, the breech end with telescopic sight rings on a quickly-detachable rail, hold-open toplever, automatic safety, rounded bar with bold acanthus scroll engraving, triggerplate signed 'Bottega C. Giovanelli', bright and blued finish, 14 5/8in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with sculpted cheekpiece, hogsback comb and wooden buttplate, weight 6lb. 13oz.

Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.

Estimate £700-900

A pretty good package for the sort of money

or

JOSEF HAMBRUSCH
A .375 H&H / 16-BORE SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE DRILLING, serial no. 2518,
24 3/4in. nitro reproved barrels (in 2013) with matt sight rib, open sights and ramp-mounted bead fore-sight, the breech end mounted with a B. Nickel Supra 1-4 E/D/S telescopic sight in quickly-detachable mounts, 2 3/4in. shot chamber, bored approx. 1/2 choke, quadruple-grip action with side-bolsters, removable striker discs, manual safety, elongated top strap, side-mounted shot / ball selector switch, cocking-indicators, set front trigger, acanthus scroll engraving, bright and blued finish, 14 1/4in. pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, hogsback comb, sling swivels, pistolgrip-cap and including 1in. ventilated rubber recoil pad, weight 10lb. 10oz.

Estimate £4,000-5,000

Be interested to see what this makes - a side by side double 375h&h with 16 bore shot barrel - would cover everything from Guinae Fowl up to elephant. Joseph Hambrusch makes very nice guns - I have one of his.

And this looks very nice, but out of the price range

HOLLAND & HOLLAND
A .375 (MAGNUM FLANGED) 'NO.2 MODEL' BACK-ACTION SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 35037,
25in. nitro chopperlump barrels with ramp-mounted bead fore-sight with moon protector, matt sight rib with open sights and one folding leaf sight the breech end fitted with a Schmidt & Bender 1 1/4-4 x 20 telescopic sight in quickly-detachable claw mount bases, treble-grip action with concealed third bite, manual safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, removable striker discs, elongated top-strap, bouquet and scroll engraving, the underside engraved '.375 BORE MAGNUM FLANGED CARTRIDGE', brushed bright finish, 14 3/4in. figured pistolgrip stock with engraved steel pistolgrip cap with trap, sling swivels, cheekpiece, including 1in. rubber recoil pad, weight 11lb. 7oz., in a tan leather guncase

Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that this rifle was manufactured on the 24th February 1944 for a Captain Isidore G.E. Mesmaekers as a .375 No.2 model.

Estimate £8,000-12,000

And finally with this little lot you would have one gun that would cover everything:

Sale A190913 Lot 1228

BUCHSENMACHER HANDELS GESELLSCHAFT
A 9,3X74R OVER AND UNDER SIDEPLATED BOXLOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 936 with extra 16-bore / 7x57R combination barrels and 16-bore shot barrels,
24 7/8in. ejector nitro 9,3x74R barrels by K. Keiner (Suhl) in 1993 with matt rib, open sights and ramped blade fore-sight, the breech end with quickly-detachable telescopic sight mount bases, three-piece fore-end;
25 1/2in. non-ejector 16-bore / 7x57R combination barrels with raised matt rib, folding open sights and blade fore-sight, the breech end with quickly-detachable telescopic sight mount bases and signed 'BUHAG - SUHL HANDWERKSARBEIT, three-piece fore-end; with two interchangeable telescopic sights in quickly-detachable mounts, one Zeiss Diavari-ZM 2,5-10x48T* and one Schmidt & Bender 1 1/4-4x20;
28in. ejector 16-bore shot barrels with raised matt rib, 2 3/4in. chambers, bored approx. 1/2 choke in both, the breech end signed 'BUHAG - SUHL HANDWERKSARBEIT, three-piece fore-end;
hold-open toplever, manual safety, gold cocking-indicators, set front trigger, the action and furniture profusely carved with oak leaves and acorns on a finely stoppled background, the decorative sideplates with woodland game scenes of deer, fox and fowl, bright finish, 14 1/4in. figured pistolgrip stock with sculpted cheekpiece, pistolgrip-cap, sling swivels and including 7/8in. rubber recoil pad, weight 8lb. 5oz. (9,3x74R barrels, no scope), 7lb. 15oz. (combination barrels, no scope) and 7lb. 5oz. (shot barrels), in a vinyl case with provision for all barrels and telescopic sights, with cloth outer cover

Estimate £4,000-6,000

S1

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Heym SR20 -
What about heym and chapuis. Are these guns good and do they do a .375 rimmed. I know that heym does this cartridge, however not sure about the rest.

How much are the beretta's for any idea

Chapuis double rifles are very good indeed, it's pretty much their speciality. You could also have a look at Gaucher Armes, although I think they're now a part of the Verney-Carron mini-Empire. Still excellent guns though.

Every year at the IWA I go past the Rizzini stand and have a play with the O/U 9.3x74. They fit me like a glove and handle beautifully.
edi

I have just taken delivery of a new Chapuis RGEX: http://www.chapuis-armes.com/progre...e-rifles/15-carabine-modele-rgex-serie-3.html

It is available from stock in9,3x74 R
8x57 JRS
7x57 R
6,5x57 R
30,30 Win

I went for 9.3x74R as I wanted a rimmed round in a double. The Series 3 double is based off their round-bodied 28bore shotgun action, which is very light and an informal chat with Chapuis suggested that the 9.3 is about at the limits of the design. They will make you another calibre to order, but I think they would steer you towards the slightly heavier UGEX, which is based off a square-bodied action.

Ivor at Old Mill Guns is the man to speak to.

Sorry, just seen that you want a O/U, mine is an S/S.

Ring Ivor asap. He has an absolutely splendid, mint condition .375 Chapuis Artisan O/U. Slightly above your budget at £5,950 but I reckon if it is an O/U you want you'll walk out with it. It is a beautifully contructed rifle (and beautiful to look at).

http://www.oldmillguns.com/cdata/34590/docs/5749206_1.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks MauserMO3

The chapuis does look like a good looking gun. Is it better to have a single or a double trigger for a double.

The considered thinking is that a double trigger instills a slightly enhanced degree of mechanical reliability that in a rifle that is intended to be used on dangerous game could be a life-saver. With a single trigger there is in theory more to go wrong and the theory is that one wouldn't want to be gored to death by a charging rhino for lack of being able to reliably get off that second barrel and put him down.

I think that argument doesn't really hold water with today's guns and I would be absolutely amazed to hear of anyone being injured or killed as a consequence of their single trigger failing and not being able to get off a shot. I think, however, that what people are buying is the 'peace of mind' principle.

All of that said, I went for a double trigger because I like the traditional look of it ! I have no plans to get run down by an angry elephant any time soon.

Another o/u rifle in 9.3x74R to look at is the Browning. I chose one after looking at all the competition and am very happy with it. It is conditioned for use in this country and I am taking it abroad for boar this coming season. Accurate, reliable and good back up from Browning, based on the 20ga action (I think) and under£3K.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Heym SR20 -
What about heym and chapuis. Are these guns good and do they do a .375 rimmed. I know that heym does this cartridge, however not sure about the rest.

How much are the beretta's for any idea

Heym make very nice rifles, and from what I have read their doubles are at the top of the rung for off the shelf rifles - next rung up are the likes of the Holland & Holland etc. But I think they only make side by side double rifles.

Haven't seen a Chapuis double, but have read good things about them.

A good mate of mine has a Heym in .375H&H Flanged, very nice. DOn't know if it fits on price thought. Have shot a rimmed 8x57 Heym O/U single trigger O/U and I was impressed.

ATB,

Scrummy

Another vote for Ivor at Old Mill. He's very knowledgeable, and he's a true gent.

He recently arranged for me to visit the Chapuis Arms factory, so I could see all the options, and choose my rifle spec'.

The guys at Chapuis were fantastic, I had the factory tour, where everything is done in house, then got to shoot several rifles (OU/SS) & calibers so I could choose what suited me. The 8x57R OU we tested single holed at 50m, the distance they regulate them to.
Then chose the wood (not recommended for financial reasons :doh:) and the engravings I wanted, laser engraved, because I drew the line at getting it hand engraved :eek:

I went there fully intending to get an OU, because I shoot an OU shotgun, but when it came to it, I just couldn't do it, and got the Series 3 REX SS in 9.3x74R, I just love that traditional look.

Something like the C10 in 375 H&H, with upgraded wood, & maybe engraving would come in on budget, with a factory visit !!!! Depending on how carried away you get :D

Last edited:
Back