Sauer 202 mounts

Hotdog

Looking at getting a good set of mounts for my Sauer 202 25-06 any sugestions would be helpful Apel or Recknagel i am thinking of mount a S&B Klassik.

Just put my Nightforce onto my Sauer 202 7mm Rem Mag and the bloody Apel mounts have just marked the scope. Had it ten years and that's the first mark on it. For that reason I wouldn't buy the Apels. That said they are a good quality mounts apart from that. ARRGG.
Paul

Apel fixed mounts but tape your scope tube before fitting on to the recieving half as it will scratch the scope tube.

I have just taken off a set of EAW QD mounts from mine in favour of a Recknagel Picatinny rail form Alan Rhone. I liked the QD idea but I think it is now a bit old fashioned in the EAW form and Picatinny with leupold QRWs are just as good. I would avoid the Warne version. Depends of course on what look you are after!

Last edited:
What don't you like about the Warne rings jagdmatch?
They are awkward to set up a scope on a Picatinny rail because of the vertical ring split. There also seems more front to back movement in the cut outs compared to the Leupolds. I have a couple of sets that I do use and they are ok but as I pointed out a personal choice. The EAWs that I took off were expensive for the previous owner who likes wood, and classic design. I have replaced with a GRS stock and rail mounting because they suit me.

I have two 202s and they both have apels , best you can buy but as said they do scratch scopes , the gunshop fitted my z6i a few weeks ago and he cringes every time , buy once buy the best as I was always told

Although Apel are the best they did mark my scope.

Have a look at Ziegler, they are even better than Apel. Not cheap but very good. They are imported by Alan Rhone and were rated even better than Apel by Bruce Potts in a test carried out by him for Shooting Times last year.

If you read the instructions on how to fit Apel rings you will see that they have to opened up using a pair of alen keys so that they can be pushed over the scope tube without scratching it.

I don't like them but had this pointed out to me when I moaned about a pair I had marking an expensive scope.

Back