what a great morning !

User00014

hi all i thought i would tell you bout my morming !

at 6 am i was bimbling my way to my highseat with intention of giving the local red hinds a good talking to . the area im stalking after these reds is only small 150 acraes or so and they have taken a fancy to the 1 remaining beet field . anyway after moving my high seat to at last the right place on my last outing i was quite confident of a result .

after an hour or so i glassed the area with me trusty leica's and saw nothing , thought right ill have a smoke while there is nothing about ! while enjoying the sunshine and my woodbine i cought somthing moving to my left , up with the binos and sure enough a stag mooching along the hedland on the other side of the field .

after 20 mins or so of watching this stag he finaly got within range approx 165 yd , up with the rifle looking down the scope , safty off finger on trigger and NOTHING , i couldnt do it !

i lowered the rifle and loooked through my bins at prob one of the biggest stags in south norfolk ! 18 points all coloured black from the base to pearly white tips , he is such a beautiful animal , a bit thin after the rut but with full body weight a estimate he's got to go 400lb plus on the hoof a gold medal stag if ever i saw one !.

i know plenty of stalkers would have given there right arm to have been in my position this morning , but i just couldnt bring my self to kill this beutiful animal . :D

i continued to watch him for about another half hour , and after he had left the field i called it a day , empty handed but very satisfied !
cheers lee

Good for you , sometimes you can get alot of satisfaction out of just knowing you could have had it on the wall, and it was your discision not to..
Does this make sence ?

You don't have to shoot at everything you see. It shows you are a real stalker.

ATB

Greg

leec6.5 said:
hi all i thought i would tell you bout my morming !

at 6 am i was bimbling my way to my highseat with intention of giving the local red hinds a good talking to . the area im stalking after these reds is only small 150 acraes or so and they have taken a fancy to the 1 remaining beet field . anyway after moving my high seat to at last the right place on my last outing i was quite confident of a result .

after an hour or so i glassed the area with me trusty leica's and saw nothing , thought right ill have a smoke while there is nothing about ! while enjoying the sunshine and my woodbine i cought somthing moving to my left , up with the binos and sure enough a stag mooching along the hedland on the other side of the field .

after 20 mins or so of watching this stag he finaly got within range approx 165 yd , up with the rifle looking down the scope , safty off finger on trigger and NOTHING , i couldnt do it !

i lowered the rifle and loooked through my bins at prob one of the biggest stags in south norfolk ! 18 points all coloured black from the base to pearly white tips , he is such a beautiful animal , a bit thin after the rut but with full body weight a estimate he's got to go 400lb plus on the hoof a gold medal stag if ever i saw one !.

i know plenty of stalkers would have given there right arm to have been in my position this morning , but i just couldnt bring my self to kill this beutiful animal . :D

i continued to watch him for about another half hour , and after he had left the field i called it a day , empty handed but very satisfied !
cheers lee
It would appear that you had reached that point that all true hunters aspire to reach, you were finally at one with the world! :) Steve.

Well done Lee,

You have just done for your local deer population exactly what people should be doing; leaving the best ones. I know it's very hard to do when you think some other bloke might mow it down tomorrow.

On my farm only about 1 in every 80 stags born makes it as far as getting used as a sire which may give an idea of how precious those top class beasties are.

If all stalkers in an area could get together and agree and if there weren't any poachers.....oh, and then I woke up :D

leec6.5
Should of nailed him :D
No only joking mate. Good on ya mate for your decision not to take the shot. Many a stalker would of just pulled the trigger to see his head on there wall :evil:
You probably got more pleasure watching him than shooting him.
Im not a trophy hunter in anyway and was introduced into stalking via my father for management reasons and i personally would of probably let him walk away if i had been in your shoes this morning :D Well done :D
Fester

well done that man,good on ya.lets just hope some tosser dosent bump into him :evil: .and i hope you keep bumping into so you can see hes doing ok.i bet he looked the muts nuts

leec6.5 said:
he's got to go 400lb plus on the hoof a gold medal stag if ever i saw one !.

Been in that postion several times so far this season Lee so i know what it feels like ;)

well done lee
i did the same with a sika a couple of years ago in dorset. only saw him the once but have no regrets. good on you

atb
calvin

Well done for leaving him. I am sure that he will sire many more in the area thanks to you. Take your camera the next time and show the rest of us. ;)

last year on the 3rd of november i was out stalking and i bumped into a 7 point roe buck. it was the 1st 6 point + buck i had ever seen and every bone in my body was telling me to pull the trigger even tho it was 3 days out of season but i kept my head and i let him go as i should. i never thought i would get a chance of a 6 point + buck again but resided in the fact that i had done the right thing. this year i shoot a 8 point buck which made a gold medal not 200 yrds from the one i saw last year....what goes around comes around leec6.5 so keep your eyes open!

I admire your restraint, it was absolutely the right thing to do. I have done the same thing on a few occasions and I have to say it made me feel very good.

He wasn't a cull animal and the venison would have poor post-rut, no reason to pull the trigger apart from the headgear and it's better on him right now.

sir-lamp-alot said:
last year on the 3rd of november i was out stalking and i bumped into a 7 point roe buck. it was the 1st 6 point + buck i had ever seen and every bone in my body was telling me to pull the trigger even tho it was 3 days out of season but i kept my head and i let him go as i should. i never thought i would get a chance of a 6 point + buck again but resided in the fact that i had done the right thing. this year i shoot a 8 point buck which made a gold medal not 200 yrds from the one i saw last year....what goes around comes around leec6.5 so keep your eyes open!

There is a very good chance it was the same animal, you did right to leave him, notwithstanding the possibility of getting into trouble.

cheers for the great replys lads , its great that so many know where im coming from ! :D

thank alot !

ATB LEE

Lee,

I've often sat in a high seat and been watching something either deer or a fox or whatever really and just been unable to do it/them harm.

One example would be when l sat in a high seat last winter when it was really cold (god knows why!) but watched a big fox walk across the field to me in the snow, i was mesmorised by its fluffed up coat (like you see on a nature prog's with the Artic foxes) and it walked within 60ft of me and i coudn't bring myself to shoot it - i fear it has probably fallen foul of one of my stubble lamping nights in Sept - but just there in winter - just then it was good enough only to watch.

Same has been with a Roe Buck that carefully climbed through three stands of barbed wire along a fence and sat in the margin with a Doe mid Rut - poor thing looked too shagged out to be shot just then! - couldn't help but chuckle to myself!

T

thinking about there was another instance in my earlier days of stalking , i was in a mature popular wood just carfully creaping my way through the rough (there were no rides) and after an hr or so i litterally bumped into a young roebuck just a little spiker !

he let me stalk so close i could have poked him in the eye with my stalking sticks ! i said to him go on bugger off , ill shoot you another day ! i did get him in the end about a yr later his antlers looked exactly the same just a little bigger and he had a slight tear in his ear , but i remember how generious that little buck was to give a novice stalker such a heart thumping stalk !

cheers lee

Back