Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countryfile has its use

Countryfile has its use

Karen [my wife] and I were watching an old Countryfile on tv tonight when it had a piece on a women's shooting syndicate in the Pennines after red grouse. During the piece Karen commented she would like to try shooting some grouse [expensive tastes].

This is a real result as this the first time she has ever said anything about wanting to shoot a gun, let alone at a live target. She is supportive of me going deer stalking, helped me to butcher a Roe deer on the Kitchen table for the freezer and loves my roe buck head [thanks to Paul Taylor] which she allowed me to hang on the landing wall. Karen would also like a fox to join the Roe buck on the wall but that is for another thread.

Anyway as she has never fired a gun of any sorts in her life, I said that she should start down the range, progress to some clays and then maybe try some pigeons and onwards and upwards. Maybe now is the time to consider a shotgun certificate and an FAC.

I will take it slowly, but maybe another shooter to our ranks

Last edited by seibassman7; 20-09-2013 at 21:37.

In the same boat. Girlfriend helped me butcher up my last Roe and has just had two Clay pigeon lessons and is now looking for her own 20 bore.

Excellent news! looks like you are a couple of steps ahead of me.

Sounds like the bullet bill will be going up!

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Sounds like the bullet bill will be going up!
    I truly hope so

Deftly done Matthew, congratulations and count your blessings; my missus is supportive as she knows what the sport means to me, but I will sadly never see her in 'combats' let alone allowing any form of head on the wall (anywhere but my study where she can't see it)

We watched that episode too and everything like that helps my wife understand things a bit was good to see women shooters enjoying the sport and the gamekeeper was a sensible chap as well when asked about the sport he gave a good answer
    Enjoy yourself's later than you think !!

The conversation has moved on a little bit since watching Countryfile. I asked Karen yesterday that if I booked up a days introduction to shotgun shooting/clays for us both to do, would she be up for it. I got a resounding yes with no hesitation. When I followed that up by saying if she got on with that I would look into trying to get a couple of hours on pidgeons. Again a resounding yes, so this could well have some legs to it I will report on progress in a few weeks.

I changed channels when I heard the words Ellie, Harrison and beavers tonight, sadly I was left very disappointed...

Aye ...its not the first time that Ellie has tempted us with the promise of the sight of beaver ! Alas it really wasn't worth siting through the hour of utter cr4p . Can anyone tell me why the numpties were using hand saws and axes to fell trees ? Surely they haven't stopped using chain saws on environmental grounds ????