Moral dilemma

straightbetweentheeyes

In the morning I will be heading up to loch morar to ghilie for a week. In anticipation of the conditions I ordered a swazi thar, although I wanted one anyway for stalking and picking up, I specifically wanted it for Scotland... It arrived on Monday, upon opening the packet I discovered it was the wrong bloody colour! E mail to swazi straight away and fair do's they said they'd send the right colour out via express courier immediately and apologised profusely and said to return the incorrect item at my convenience and they would refund any costs incurred to myself.
The replacement item was delivered by TNT at midday yesterday but unfortunately my wife and I have to work to pay for the roof over our heads and therefore were not at home to sign for the parcel and instead of taking the sensible option and getting a neighbour to sign for it they took it back to the depot to be re delivered on Monday at the earliest, not much use when I will be ten hours north...
now my question is, do I wear the one they sent wrong and tell them they can have it back worn or go to Scotland with out a decent waterproof? Please no should have brought this should have brought that, I just want your opinions on wether or not it would be ethical to wear the coat I have in my possession and let them decide wether they want it back or not?

​regards, Jez

I wouldnt wear it personally you weren't in when delivery was made and no alternative address .they made a determined effort you must return the item unused and hope it don't rain .
good luck with the weather .
​norma

Jez

Personally, I'd send an email explaining all that.

Worst case, you'll have 2:
1 worn that you don't want and they won't accept back as it's been worn.
1 new that you do want, but CAN send back as it's not been worn...

Put the decision on their shoulders - you might not get a response before you leave, but take both and monitor email from your phone

We always give our neighbour or work which is next village ,don't wear it you know you shouldn't lol :D

Don't you have something else to wear instead of the thar?
Unless I had nothing else to wear I wouldn't do what you're proposing but that's me.

As above really, saves a lot of grief.

Could always borrow a jacket I would think?

Jez, you can't wear it, they dropped the ball but sent you another coat. I'm sure TNT left a card with a depot where it will be. Go get it! Borrow a coat from a mate or man up and get wet!:D

I sent them an email last night after speaking with TNT who said they could only re deliver on a Saturday with authority from swazi as its on they're account.. I won't that've the other one before I go, that's my point otherwise I'd have no issue.. I even tried to phone the office but when I got home from work it was 6.30 Saturday morning in New Zealand, I sent an email but as yet had no response.. They're cock up has left me without the item I ordered for when I want it. I'm not trying to have they're pants down and get two coats for the price of one, I just want the coat I ordered to wear for what I chose it for, which due to swazis incompetence is going to happen.. They have attempted to rectify they're mistake but to me they should have given clear instruction to TNT to make sure that parcel was received by me before Sunday, wether it had to be deliverd on a Saturday or not, they're obligation was to rectify they're cock up so I did not lose out, which so far has not happened...

If you do wear it don't be surprised if they wont accept it back.....they would be well within their rights.
I would take a good waterproof coat though as we are starting to get into rainy season up here.
ATB
CVK

Don't think you can really expect Swazi to do any more than they have. If you are only going for a week I wouldn't lose any sleep about it, it's not like you are heading of for a nine month polar expedition! Look on the bright side, at least they used TNT not Royal Fail otherwise it would be summer again before it was redelivered!

You really have only two options send it back or pay for both, not carriers fault that there was no one home you should have left instructions where it could be left.

I just put a note on the door

CARRIER IF NO ANSWER
PLEASE LEAVE AT XX XX XXXXX

You really have only two options send it back or pay for both, not carriers fault that there was no one home you should have left instructions where it could be left.

I just put a note on the door

CARRIER IF NO ANSWER
PLEASE LEAVE AT XX XX XXXXX
if I knew when it was coming perhaps I could have!

Out of interest Jez what colour did you order and what was sent?

I ask because both colours to me look like they would do the job. I know the lighter of the two from their website may at first glance appear too light a colour for heather, but if the ground has a lot of grass, in particular the 'white' or straw coloured grass, you would be amazed at how that lighter coat will blend in. I had a guest out last year wearing the same coloured smock from Ridgeline and when he sat down to watch a stag across a valley he blended in superbly!

​The Nomad clothing is very popular with hill stalkers after all and it is about the same colour.

Last edited:
2p
worth
as long as you don't damage it ,if i was you i would use it and sell it after your done knock off the postage back to NV and uk and a bit for use still be worth the £250 odd. they cost $549 nv dollers so £287 ish i had a green one it got nicked out of a pals car some time ago along with other bits :doh: he had no insurance to cover kit !! and after all any bugger can get wet ?
​i have always found swazi nv to be real life folks ,i think if you email them they will help you out re what to do as it was there fault !! in the first place

Out of interest Jez what colour did to order and what was sent?

I ask because both colours to me look like they would do the job. I know the lighter of the two from their website may at first glance appear too light a colour for heather, but if the ground has a lot of grass, in particular the 'white' or straw coloured grass, you would be amazed at how that lighter coat will blend in. I had a guest out last year wearing the same coloured smock from Ridgeline and when he sat down to watch a stag across a valley I blended in superbly!

​The Nomad clothing is very popular with hill stalkers after all and it is about the same colour.

Correct I have the Ridgeline smock while it looks quite light in colour it blends in perfect on the hill, you don't want to go too dark it sticks out, for example anyone remember the dark green loden it was terrible, from a distance it looked black, and it was worse once it got wet, on the hill could spot someone with a loden coat a couple of miles away easily.

Last edited:
2p
worth
as long as you don't damage it ,if i was you i would use it and sell it after your done knock off the postage back to NV and uk and a bit for use still be worth the £250 odd. they cost $549 nv dollers so £287 ish i had a green one it got nicked out of a pals car some time ago along with other bits :doh: he had no insurance to cover kit !! and after all any bugger can get wet ?
​i have always found swazi nv to be real life folks ,i think if you email them they will help you out re what to do as it was there fault !! in the first place
They will refund any postage costs incurred sending the wrong one back to them..

Back