Not enough time

varmint223

Don't know about most of you guys but I find it harder and harder to find the time to get regular shooting sessions under my belt , between work , family etc time just seems to be at a premium just now , I am desperate just for a full days undisturbed shooting

Don't know about most of you guys but I find it harder and harder to find the time to get regular shooting sessions under my belt , between work , family etc time just seems to be at a premium just now , I am desperate just for a full days undisturbed shooting

Sound familiar to me

I gave up on the full day thing a long time ago. You've got to make up for it with more early mornings and evenings which can normaly be fitted in around things , that's the beauty of deer stalking. If you've got small kids its difficult but its not like that for ever.

I typically manage 2-3 hours on a Saturday working around family stuff, but generally only if I take one of the kids with me. On the plus side, my daughter (8) loves every minute and it's rapidly becoming special Daddy/Daughter bonding time. My son whose 5 is really a little too young, but pesters and pesters, constantly. Precious times, the kids grow up so quickly and having them share my passion for shooting is priceless (much to the consternation of their mother - who to be fair is very understanding and would never stop them coming with me).

Enjoy the kids company. My lad will be 23 this year, he started going out with me when he was 5 and loves shooting. I really don't know where the past 18 years went time seems to have flown by in a heartbeat.

That's the joy of having a young family, and the memories of watching them grow up. Having been so busy with clients and a full diary up to Christmas and into the end of January I look forward to being at home for a rest:old:

Same here. I was planning on going pigeon shooting yesterday first thing but the other half wanted to go to the gym so it was decided that I would go this morning. However my 18 month old twins had different plans and got me up at 5.30. I will now pencil it in for Wednesday so lets hope they are still feeding on the same fields. My deers numbers have also gone down to a quarter of what they have done pre twins but I wouldn't be with out them. On the plus side my five year old girl is showing an interest in fishing and keeps on at me to go rabbit hunting (thanks Elma).

Same here. I was planning on going pigeon shooting yesterday first thing but the other half wanted to go to the gym so it was decided that I would go this morning. However my 18 month old twins had different plans and got me up at 5.30. I will now pencil it in for Wednesday so lets hope they are still feeding on the same fields. My deers numbers have also gone down to a quarter of what they have done pre twins but I wouldn't be with out them. On the plus side my five year old girl is showing an interest in fishing and keeps on at me to go rabbit hunting (thanks Elma).

What was your other half doing at 5.30 this morning??

What was your other half doing at 5.30 this morning??

I volunteered first to get the milk hoping they would go back off as they didn't I let her sleep in as she was up first yesterday and she's on early mornings tomorrow. It will be remembered when she next moans at me for going stalking.

Basil is correct you're a long time dead i need my three outings a week or i am a grumpy Barstward.I have promised the wife that i will work hard after i am dead and told her she can have yesterday off for being so understanding.:oops:

I will need to start planning things a bit better but to be fair it's not just the kids & wife I need to keep happy but my old man has dementia after his second stroke this year and I need to go to his house every day (sometimes twice a day)
I am hoping things return to some sort of normality over the coming months.......either that or I go mad ....lol

Varmint 223
You must make time remember we are only passing through and are not imortal you have the children to see six days and allow yourself one day off. Ensure you get your wife to have one day off and you look after the children and fair is fair she does what she wants and you go shooting every one happy. :D Remember it is no good wishing you had when you can't.

Kind regards Jimbo

Last edited:

This is why you have to be selfish to a degree. My first child arrives this month. However, I'm still going to Caithness for two full days in November for red hinds. Luckily I have an understanding wife who realises that I am easier to deal with when I have time to myself. You owe it to yourself. In the words of the famous song, Enjoy yourself (It's later than you think).

"We cannot put off living until we are ready."

Jose Ortega y Gasset

After game shooting for quite a number of years, shooting every Saturday throughout the season with the occasional Wednesday here and there, then running a shoot for a couple of years, time was of great importance. Work came first, with the family fitting in between, which gives you the means for being able to afford your favourite pastime. But now I find I have ample time to concentrate purely on stalking. I am a firm believer that you work to live not live to work and you are dead a long time. You have to find time for the things you enjoy before father time passes you by. Too many things to do so little time!

just the norm i think im married with a two year old son and i dont do half the things i used to before he arived i was doing karate, fishing, metal detecting and out shooting two or three times a week, metal detector now sold karate belt hung up fishing hardly ever and not doing half the shooting i was im sure it will come back in time tho only differance is i will have a son to share it all with if he wants and if he dosnt more free time for me dont worrie about it, it will all sort its self out

Back