Collars to mark new born pups

david1976

For those who have used them, what collars do you find suitable to put on new born pups to mark them?

I was considering these ones but the velcro looks a bit stiff and I don't obviously want the necks to rub or become sore:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WhelpIDcollars-Different-Colours-Reuseable-Adjustable/dp/B00AAYC2N4

I also had a look at these but again, they appear quite stiff:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warwick-Whelping-Puppy-Super-Vinyl/dp/B008IGB0SY/ref=pd_cp_petsupplies_0

Which leaves me with this kind:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-1555-Puppy-Collar-S-M/dp/B000M2TADO/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

Any recommendations pros/cons of these or recommendations for others?

Cheers

​David

Velcro straps and collars can come off or be removed, taking a small clipping of hair (not down to the skin!!!) from the rump of the pup or shoulder area and recording it in a book cannot be changed. May sound drastic but its not, I have done it several times on lab pups I have bred and know a few others do the same as it grows back in a matter of weeks. Normally different dogs have distinguishing features meaning not all pups need marking by clipping anyway. If a litter of 9 black lab pups can be told apart, with 8 biches in It, I am sure my litter can be distinguished apart by colour variation alone.

We never find it necessary to put collars on new born pups , you are handling the pups daily and will know them apart quite easily , collars only go on once we start letting people select
which puppies they would like , usually around 5 - 6 weeks at which time small cat collars are very good .

Having a breed with varying coat patterns I have never had to do anything like this but I know someone who put nail varnish on a particular claw, quite a few combinations if you also start using different colours!

Jamross is bang on there will be pups that you will just know straight off .For some reason or other. But a collar can be changed a snip of fir cant. It will grow back quick so do it when people pick their pup.s.

Wife used nail varnish to id pups choosen by new owners, this is after they are weaned so bitch is not licking it off. One bitch's kennel name was Lady pink shimmer;)

When my family breed dogs we just bought different coloured ribbon and tied them like a collar round there necks easy to spot who's who then.

Jamross is bang on there will be pups that you will just know straight off .For some reason or other. But a collar can be changed a snip of fir cant. It will grow back quick so do it when people pick their pup.s.

​I guess Davie some breeders just don't want to vandalise their pups....

You should not chip pups untill minimum 12 weeks old by this time they would most likely be sold.

Jimbo

If you are docking then they need to be chipped before they leave the breeder to complete the docking certificate , we usually chip at 6 weeks and tattoo at 7 weeks .
who is likely to swap collars ?? as the breeder you would know if they had been switched .

My litter were chipped at 6 weeks and once a pup was selected the pup was scanned and the number given... Now what could be easier than that.

Surely u have to buy a scanner to read the chips? Are they not dear, i know plenty off farmers are moaning about buying them to read lamb numbers and there dealing with big numbers

Collars/ribbon or clip a wee area are the old fasioned ways and would be a lot easier to identify at first glance

Draw yourself a dogs body lying on its back and mark the pups with a food colouring in different places and then put a corresponding mark on the dog drawing with the new owners name next to it. Worked a treat for our litter but do keep an eye on the pups and remark in the same place if it is fading. We have also used the little puppy marker collars that are available on EBay. I think you get about 8 different collars in a pack for about 4 quid.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

My vet wont chip until 12 weeks old as he said there is the possibility the chips can slip when the pups are really small and get them, i'm assuming it's probably to do with all the loose skin they have to grow into.

Pups wont be docked, I will hopefully get them dew clawed however, as of yet, I have found no one that is prepared to do it not even the dick vet school out at Penicuik.

My litter were chipped at 6 weeks and once a pup was selected the pup was scanned and the number given... Now what could be easier than that.
Our vets would not even consider chipping at that age and besides that you pay for the chipping and then the new owner pays to have the pup transered to them.

David you might not need dew claws took off so why worry unnecessarily. They are very easy to remove your self large nail snips close to the leg bone so the dew dose not grow back .

Back