Canadian black bear

woodmaster

Well the time has finally got here. In the morning I will be jetting off to canada to visit friends. One of which is to take me out after a black bear and hopefully a white tail deer. Since it's early in the season we will be using muzzle loaders and black powder in 50 cal. I've never shot a bear (never even seen one in real life) or shot such a rifle so really looking forward to having a go. He has seen 3 bear today. one mother and last years young and a big male bear. All I hope is they were not in his kitchen eating porridge. If I get real lucky and see one I'll do a write up and better still get to shoot one. That would be fantastic. They 'stalk' or should say hund differently to us using bait sites which may seem a bit un-sporting. I do like to wind my mate up telling him he should learn to hunt properly and walk round looking for his quarry. If you saw the dense forest you'd soon realize you would most probably be an old man before you got to even see a bear or deer. Anyway wish me luck, and and useful suggestions gratefully received.

It will be going in the freezer of my mate. He has a bbq planned so I hope we get some meat to cook. Hopefully I'll get the skin tanned then next time I'm over I'll bring it back once all the paperwork done. He has sorted out all the tickets etc so will see what happens. They tell me it's good eating!

They are v good eating, lots of good recipes, the fat is also excellent and can be boiled down to make a good cooking oil.
atb

They make excellent eating looking forward to the photos and the story.
By the way don’t eat the local Beaver ugggggggg

Good luck. I had my first bear in the spring with a bow. Great hunt. What part of Canada are you in.
​dogfox

Well guys. The bears did put in an appearance but only after dark. So unfortunately didn't get too shoot one. Had some good evenings and mornings either waiting in a hide or stalking the timber roads through the woods looking. It is likely the bear in the photo was shot on a neighboring property, as although there are a few bears around people tend to leave the small ones and shoot big males like the one pictured. We had only been baiting a short while so bears were wandering a fair way off the property. Also saw a nice white tail buck but had left the camera in the car. Plenty of tracks for deer and bear, so hopefully get another chance next time I'm over. My mate is going to carry on baiting this winter and will shoot a bear for himself along with a white tail. Planning a return visit next year if all goes well as a trial run for taking clients over so look out for that in the future. I'll put up a few more pics later.

Well guys. The bears did put in an appearance but only after dark. So unfortunately didn't get too shoot one. Had some good evenings and mornings either waiting in a hide or stalking the timber roads through the woods looking. It is likely the bear in the photo was shot on a neighboring property, as although there are a few bears around people tend to leave the small ones and shoot big males like the one pictured. We had only been baiting a short while so bears were wandering a fair way off the property. Also saw a nice white tail buck but had left the camera in the car. Plenty of tracks for deer and bear, so hopefully get another chance next time I'm over. My mate is going to carry on baiting this winter and will shoot a bear for himself along with a white tail. Planning a return visit next year if all goes well as a trial run for taking clients over so look out for that in the future. I'll put up a few more pics later.

.....sounds like a great experience mate; I bet stalking the timber tracks looking for a big bear gets the old heartrate up a bit doesn't it??!:eek:

Did you remember to take your insulated boots and thick socks this time?;)

Back