Hello.......

Vertex_1971

Hello all,

Been shooting shotgun for the last 15 years or so 22lr and 17hmr for the last 3 or so years. I live in Canterbury in kent I go up to Scotland vermin shooting every year and deer stalking is available. While I have been shooting for quite some time I have never been stalking and am looking for advise and help. My feo has advised that prior to granting .243 or .308 I will require my dsc1 I can understand the requirement and am more than happy to do it but need some basic knowledge before I sign up for this. Any help and advise would be greatly received.

TTFN
​Dave.

Hello all,

Been shooting shotgun for the last 15 years or so 22lr and 17hmr for the last 3 or so years. I live in Canterbury in kent I go up to Scotland vermin shooting every year and deer stalking is available. While I have been shooting for quite some time I have never been stalking and am looking for advise and help. My feo has advised that prior to granting .243 or .308 I will require my dsc1 I can understand the requirement and am more than happy to do it but need some basic knowledge before I sign up for this. Any help and advise would be greatly received.

TTFN
​Dave.

Welcome to the site Dave,

Pm me your details and I am sure we can sort something out for you in the near future as I live in Kent and know the Canterbury area very well.

ATB

Sikamalc

Hi Dave....
Welcome to SD.
In your opening post you state " My feo has advised that prior to granting .243 or .308 I will require my dsc1 ". Since when has this become a REQUIREMENT prior to granting your application. As far as I'm aware it can be advisory but you cannot as be required to sit dsc1 . If this is the reason being used to stop you getting your grant.... your next step should be to contact BASC or SACS to take up your case . As it stands at the moment this is not a valid reason to have you application refused..... You have been WRONGLY advised by you FEO.

Cheers David

Last edited:
Welcome, well said above, not all feo's know what they are advising, rather putting their own preferences forward, challenge this, you only need to show GOOD REASON, competence is not a criteria just a good bit of advice.
Mark

​Thanks all for the replies. It's nice to join a forum with friendly members. Sikamalc, thanks for the offer I have pm'd you my contact details.
Jimnydriver & Mark_b I have had a good look around and it seems kent police do this as "standard practice" they also do not accept the mentoring system. I understand why they want a dsc1 and to be honest it is something that I would have looked to do any way. But I am in a catch 22 situation, police will not grant me to keep the required caliber to allow me to take up stalking (paid stalking days on estates etc) but expect me to sit my dsc1 without experience. Luckily for me I have come across this site with very helpful members, else it would be extremely difficult to get a start in to the sport.
Again I would like to thank everyone for their replies.
Dave.

Hello mate welcome aboard, I'm only down the road and you also fall under Maidstone licensing dept, they too insisted I did my DSC1 before granting deer. And like yourself know its not a requirement but was happy to go along with it. As I'd not stalked before I felt it very informative and gave me a bit of confidence on my first stalk. Shaun

Ditto to the above from Notts, thought it was a bind to start off with but got stuck in to the revision. loved the course and gained shed loads of confidence, means justify ends.

Back