270 Die set

A month ago I bought a set of full length Lee dies for my 270,and have been using a set of full lenght in my 308 for some seven years now, both of them are used with a straight De-capping rod and then a Lyman M Die to follow.
For me this gives the accuracy and reliability I need for both my hunting and target shooting.
Some people think because the Lee is not as expensive as others that it may be inferior, I have found that this is not the case.

I do however use a Redding S Full length bushing die for my 243 which does not work the brass so hard and was bought before the Lee dies.
I would suggest not using a neck sizing die as the last thing you want is to have a round that will not chamber or worse still get stuck when you are in the middle of nowhere.
For me it would have to be Lee.

Lapua 243

A sensible person always feeds his cartridges in and
out of his rifle prior to going out stalking.
Whenever I make up a new batch I always try them prior to boxing and putting into stock.
I have had mainly RCBS gear in my long life-span.

HWH.

Last edited:
I would agree and also hope this sensible person would carry out this operation in a safe place or with the firing pin removed from the bolt.

Lapua 243

Last edited:
I would agree and also hope this sensible person would carry out this operation in a safe place or with the firing pin removed from the bolt.

Lapua 243

Only an insensible pillock would remove his firing pin.
A sensible person would know what is and what is not a safe place otherwise he or she is not a fit and proper person to be in charge of a lethal weapon.

HWH.

Only an insensible pillock would remove his firing pin.
A sensible person would know what is and what is not a safe place otherwise he or she is not a fit and proper person to be in charge of a lethal weapon.

HWH.

We both agree that if this is being carried out it should be done safely and that is what matters.

I also check that my cases will fit in the chamber after they have been de-primed and sized.
When working up the loads and testing I cycle them through the rifle at my range with the firing pin removed.
I do this as a precaution should the bolt jam. Unlikely but never the less possible.

Lapua 243

Hi Tommy, I have always used RCBS loading equipment and dies, cant fault it................. and you know the rounds work because you have seen them in action :D

And will see them again in a couple of weeks time
:D

Yes malc you will see MEand my reloads in a couple of weeks i also use rcbs.[check name mate] ha

Thank you for the advice. i was a bit confused when sikamalc said see you soon, so thanks 270tommy for clearing that up!:thumb:

In have tried and used Wilson dies, RCBS in both Small Base and "regular", Lyman 310 dies, Lee Collet Sizing Dies. My conclusions were that the best groups, in my rifle, were from RCBS dies in either Small Base or "regular" it made no difference. Next were the Lee Collet Sizing Dies, and then the Wilson followed by the Lyman 310.

I have some Redding "regular" but am yet to try them. I bought them as I want to fit a carbide sizer button into them and I know that whilst I can, in theory, get this (made by another) for my RCBS getting the Redding carbide sizer button is easier.

So my conclusions were that the best groups were RCBS. Small Base or "regular"...no difference.

Back