Ultrasonic cleaners VS "medium" cleaners

i think muir is on about lead prods as to copper bullets, the cases need to belled out at the case mouth to allow the lead bullet to locate correctly most rifle or pistol dies for loading lead bullets do this for you, i used dillon powder funnel die in my 1050's as i was just another step in the reloading process
rifle_and_pistol_funnels_m.jpg
. the one the left has a the belling feed but the rifle one has not it just drops the powder it depends on what type of bullet you intend loading if you used a lead bullet the unbelled case would cut into the base and the bullet would be scrap and after it gone passed the crimping stage it would be fit for the bin as its lost its shape if you see what i mean

Last edited:
Muir, could you expand on that comment please, how do you flare the necks? You presumably crimp them after in a Lee crimper...

I have a friend who has been having trouble using Barnes solid copper (TSX?) and although he is chamfering inside and out he has been getting a fine shaving coming off the bullet coming off into the canelures, flaring sounds like it would resolve that...

Sorry to go off topic OP.

Alan

I do flare the case mouths for lead bullets. It's a must. But I also flare the case mouths for jacketed bullets as well. I use the Lee Universal Expander Die and yes, undo the flare with the Factory crimp die. I hit on this loading Hornet where the case necks are thin. I would always get a visible bulge on the sides of my necks from a mis-alignment of the bullet entering the case -this despite chamfering them as heavily as I dared. I never got this with my 22 Hornet cast bullet loads so I started flaring the case mouths. Instant success . The bullet seated smoothly and needless to say, the loads gave much improved accuracy. With this model working, I applied it to all my CF reloading. As I said, the bullets seat so smoothly you're tempted to tug on them to see if there is any neck tension! The Lee die puts a very gentle flare on the case mouth and you can use any "crimping" feature in your seating die to remove the slight outward turn without actually crimping.

I'm sure it will help the problem your friend is having without chamfering the necks excessively. THere is a price to pay though: For this to be done correctly and uniformly, you must have the cases all very close to the same length. I trim at every reloading so it's never an issue with me.~Muir

I observed this fine shaving on solid copper Barnes, this afternoon, while loading for Boar in November, I actually lost one Norma case due to inexperience with these components, I now set the bullet by hand with a little twisting action, allowing the boattail to just enter the case mouth, doesn't matter if the bullet is off centre either, just raising the lever on the press gently while rotating the case with my thumb by degrees as each gentle stroke touches the bullet, you get used to knowing when it "feels " just right to apply full seating pressure, & a quick spin of the thumb nail round the case mouth shifts any tiny little flecks of copper, some really good neck tension is evident too.;)

Back