Hebridean Fishing adventure

The Isle of Lewis has a lot of lochs and it has been my tradition to spend September trying to get some fish from them. This year the end of August and early September we were mostly tied up with family things as we had a Lewis wedding to attend, with folks staying in the cottage my girlfriend rents, and then my folks came up and stayed in Dollag's Cottage for a week.

Lewis has some wonderful salmon fishing and, unlike a lot of salmon fishing, the Lewis fishing actually brings with it a real chance of catching a salmon and can often be had at very reasonable cost, or even free. The island also has a lot of trout fishing in lochs, some very remote, and although the average size of trout is not large there is a lot of satisfaction to be had from walking to a remote loch and catching a trout that will never have seen an angler in its life. Much of the trout fishing is also free allowing the angler to chose from a nearly infinite number of lochs.

Once the family matters were out of the way there were several fishing guests due into the cottage during September and I was lucky enough to get to go fishing with one of them as she was a little nervous walking the moor alone and I'm most keen to take guests to remote lochs, and enjoy getting them a fish. The fishing guest seemed to enjoy her day on the hill, and we got lots of good trout, but was a little unfortunate in that there was no water and so we didn't manage to get her a salmon during her stay. Having "local knowledge" she was able to concentrate on the trout in the knowledge that the chances of a salmon on her chosen waters were slim to zero. The day we headed out for some remote trout lochs was perfect for trout fishing:

While on the loch I like to use the old shielings to make some tea and lunch so I was occupying this one for a little while during the day to the amusement of my visitor who, I suspect, had never seen anyone make himself quite so at home in a remote and disused building while fishing:

The dry weather also had a significant impact on my salmon catching success but I did manage 5 fish for what probably amounted to around 3 days fishing. This fish came from a local river that is free fishing and which can produce decent fishing for both salmon and sea trout with the right water:

And this fish was one of 3 taken on this particular day, the only day I got with decent levels of water or at least the levels were decent for an hour in the morning but fell rapidly during the day:

I'd guess that in most parts of the UK 5 salmon for a few days fishing might rate as success but on Lewis it wasn't such an impressive result. However, as is my inclination, when the fish weren't taking I could always get the stove going behind a big stone and have some tea:

As some might know I've been playing with all sorts of mad photo processing techniques and so enjoy taking some photos and processing them. This shot was taken above the trout loch at the village of Brue. This loch can produce some big fish and as you can see the Atlantic breakers come crashing onto the rocks just yards behind you while you cast on the loch. It makes for a most impressive fishing location, especially if there are good waves coming in:

As is always the case on Lewis fishing means walking the moor and I had a few lovely evenings out on the moor. The night this photo was taken was just before the full moon and soon after I snapped the photo the clouds cleared leaving me with a lovely clear sky and a rising moon. I walked back in under the moonlight enjoying having the moor to myself:

As a fishing destination it would be hard to imagine anywhere better than Lewis and if you are looking good quality self catering then be sure to check out my girlfriend's website:

http://www.7south.co.uk/

Looks stunning. I'm trying to convince my wife that a family holiday to the remote parts of Scotland is a good idea, but she isn't convinced by the logistics from the South of England and bringing 2 young kids with us?

​the cottage looks perfect.

Looks stunning. I'm trying to convince my wife that a family holiday to the remote parts of Scotland is a good idea, but she isn't convinced by the logistics from the South of England and bringing 2 young kids with us?

​the cottage looks perfect.

Adam.. Your children will love it. Just had my 3 year old and 10 month old away with us for a week in the N.W Highlands. The trick to the 12 hour drive is get some cheapo flights for family and pick them up in Edinburgh/Glasgow/Inverness as you drive up.

Regards

​Ed

Thanks Ed, our are 4 and 15 months. Paid want to bring the dogs too so us all flying is out, but I like your suggestion of cheap flights for them....

maybe 2014....

Unfortunately Dollag's Cottage can't do dogs Adam as it is on a working croft - effectively a livestock farm. This is a pain and Dollanna is trying to work something out as it would be nice to be able to keep dogs as well but at the minute she just hasn't got it fully sorted yet.

The fishing guests last week had come from Australia so all things are possible :)

​Many people do fly up and there is good car hire on the island and a regular air service to/from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness.

Excellent quality photos, the landscape looks truly stunning! Wouldn't mind giving it a go at sometime.

Unfortunately Dollag's Cottage can't do dogs Adam as it is on a working croft - effectively a livestock farm. This is a pain and Dollanna is trying to work something out as it would be nice to be able to keep dogs as well but at the minute she just hasn't got it fully sorted yet.

The fishing guests last week had come from Australia so all things are possible :)

​Many people do fly up and there is good car hire on the island and a regular air service to/from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness.

If you do manage to sort it so that dogs can stay too, I myself would be very tempted to have a week up there! perhaps with snipe shooting/deer stalking/fishing? if these are easily arranged

All of those can be arranged Buckaroo8 and your main problem will be that a week is far too little time - there are over 1,000 trout lochs alone :)

Wow, what a stunning scenery!
Fantastic landscape, great pictures.....
Maybe less hunting and stalking for me and back to the fly rod?
Maybe....:tiphat:

Maybe less hunting and stalking for me and back to the fly rod?

While Lewis is probably the best fishing destination in Europe it is also right up there in terms of shotgun and rifle sport. The deer aren't big, for the most part, but the actual stalking is spectacular. In terms of shotgun sport the driven woodcock is probably the most high profile but all manner of wildfowl and walked up shooting is available and Stornoway airport is cluttered with the private jets of the people who fly in to take part.

It must be said that in recent years I've noticed a huge increase in the number of "shooting tourists" to the island and it really has taken off as a shooting and stalking destination. Up until more recent times it was very "exclusive" and a bit of a "secret destination" for those in the know but of late it has become more accessible and the numbers visiting with guns has risen, actually this year those who were obviously up for sporting purposes seemed to outnumber everyone else on the ferry.

A woman I met who had moved to the island related to me that in the previous year she had shot or fished on every single day that it was legal to do so so there is no need to leave the guns or rifles behind but you must be aware that the range and variety of sport is such that visiting for a week is an exercise in frustration.

I will post some stalking photos, taken in previous years, just to get you in the mood. I wasn't very well this year and so wasn't fit enough for stalking which is why there are no Lewis stalking photos so far this year.

Lovely photos and well done with the fish.
I can vouch for the scenery and the shooting. I shot there last year (Barvas estate), walked up snipe and grouse over pointers by day then flighting geese on the lochans in the evening, fantastic wild, wild sport. After Christmas the walked-up woodcock shooting is supposed to be equally good.

This has really whetted my appetite to visit this island and your accommodation, just need to convince the wife!
Or perhaps leave her behind?!
Cheers
​Richard

just need to convince the wife!
Or perhaps leave her behind?!

:) Tricky one. On balance I'd say to bring her as there are lots of things to do with everything from ten pin bowling and indoor swimming pools to weaving Harris tweed, eating out and even shopping for Harris tweed available. If she doesn't fish but has some reasonable outdoor clothing then you can always take her out and teach her to catch her dinner - Dollanna can lend you a spinning rod to get her started and one loch within walking distance of the cottage, and free fishing, produces really quality trout. Even some of the non-fishing guests this year have had good fun heading out with the spinning rod and coming back with their dinner so I think we've created a few new fishermen/women. Also because some of the salmon/sea trout fishing is free she can try her hand at it with spinner or fly rod at no cost, so it doesn't matter if she gets fed up after half an hour and wants to quit.

On top of all that the area is spectacular and all that is really required for a memorable day out is a flask of tea and a picnic:

If she doesn't fish but has some reasonable outdoor clothing then you can always take her out and teach her to catch her dinner
Its a stunning place that's for sure.

Now i have never tried to teach her, but my daughter and wife went to a female fly fishing instructor in Devon, when then came home my daughter was buzzing, 'picked it up easy dad' she said, i asked my wife (already knowing the answer!) 'how did you get on?' she replied 'the fly fishing lady asked me if i had ever considered taking up fly tying instead of fly fishing!'
Whoops!

Cheers

​Richard

Even if the fly doesn't work for her there are lots of places she can go with the spinning rod, in fact it will probably take the biggest trout and one of the lochs by the cottage is rumoured to have recently produced an 11lb brown trout. My girlfriend doesn't cast the fly and only fishes very occasionally but she loves to go with her spinner on the lochs for trout now and again. Her technique is, at best, unique but she does catch fish and enjoys herself.

Superb Photographs caorach,there is no doubt island scenery is stunning, and each one just different enough to hold ones interest,if only it would not rain so much, there again if they were not so wet I would need to change my
name.

it is one of the nicest places in the british isles, i worked up there in the 80s and have fond memories of the place just don't try to out drink the locals lol,, if you do though you can probably hold your own in any place on this earth, i was working with some local lads and the 'carry out's' were unforgettable .
The fishing and shooting are fantastic, snipe and woodcock in abundance trout in every loch and stream anyone who wants a magical holiday should visit

Back