Polaris

Alan413

I am just trying to get a bit of info here.
I am in the process of changing jobs. Coming out of farming to get in to the family business. Selling tractors, forklifts and Polaris
we are just about to take over the Polaris dealership.
I am just wan to get people's background and view of the products.
I know everyone will have a different views on them. Good or bad. I'll take it all.
Thanks
Alan

I use a sportsman for stalking far better than my honda 500 foreman over bad and uneven ground My friend uses a 6x6 ranger will go where mountain goats can't

Always heard mixes views on Polaris, think they had bad press with the Diesel Quad which put a lot off. What I've seen of them they seem pretty good. The 500 HO was a beast with plenty of grunt and ability, comfy to ride to.

I have a Ranger 500 and am very happy with it,its 15 months old and on its second set of tyres so gets a fair bit of use and often with 200+kg of feed on board....it goes pretty much anywhere!!!:eek:..........I had a new battery under warranty and not touched it otherwise....

I use a sportsman for stalking far better than my honda 500 foreman over bad and uneven ground My friend uses a 6x6 ranger will go where mountain goats can't
yeah I heard the 6x6 is some machine.
The rangers are right up the top of the market.
Never driving a Polaris bike yet.
With the 4x4 ranger you can get tracks. This should be unstoppable unless you are being silly
cheers for the feed bad. Keep it coming

I think they are generally decent working machines , my brother uses a few of them extensively on commercial pheasant shoot hauling feed about all day, he's had the odd problem machine he's thrown back and had replaced.
We only have one for our shepherd ,Our 6x6 has never worked right from new as soon as it gets hot it shuts down which is really handy if your 6miles up the glen no phone ect ect. Had it just over a year and it's spent 1/4 of that time broken down with a whole range of issues . The agents have stood by it and replaced gear box already but that's it gone again and it's only been back a month. Apparently most of the issues stem from it being badly assembled in the first place ?? It's the down time and the day lost running it back to the agents each time that is wearing. We have an old honda quad which is 10yrs old and still starts every morning if a little rough.

Hopefully we can provide a quick and effective service. We will be doing our best to have you up and running in know time. With parts in the store at all times and a great fleet of mechanics on hand.
We have a great service and after sale reputation with our other product.

It will be a big change for me. Yes I get away from working with sheep.
Cheers
​for the feedback

I have a 400ho ranger, it's my second been using them for 9 years and cant fault them (as long as you put a decent winch on it if your ground is at all soft).
good luck

Andy

Hi Andy. Are you right at the top of Scotland.
Have you ever thought of putting tracks on the ranger. This should sort out that problem out.
Cheers
​alan

Out of interest how do they compare to an argo.

imo, far more comfortable for driver and passengers and quicker over the ground than argo,they can climb well and carry a decent load. but don't like humps and bumps, when trying to cross a steep side slope,especially if front wheels mount a rock or divot, machine tries to tip.
can negotiate dry haggs pretty well but has to go round green haggs where an argo would go straight across. less likely to belly than argo and more reliable than the conquest. the 6x6 front wheels can drop in and dig in to ditches and holes , but plenty of power to reverse clear and try again. on a dry heather hill I think they would be better than an argo. i'm on vertical tundra with wet grass and rushes to 3000ft, the argo is definitely more able and safer on this type of ground.

Thanks for that pitiliedon, thought that would be the case. Nothing really to touch an argo, just a pity they need so much maintanance, ie Bearings.
imo, far more comfortable for driver and passengers and quicker over the ground than argo,they can climb well and carry a decent load. but don't like humps and bumps, when trying to cross a steep side slope,especially if front wheels mount a rock or divot, machine tries to tip.
can negotiate dry haggs pretty well but has to go round green haggs where an argo would go straight across. less likely to belly than argo and more reliable than the conquest. the 6x6 front wheels can drop in and dig in to ditches and holes , but plenty of power to reverse clear and try again. on a dry heather hill I think they would be better than an argo. i'm on vertical tundra with wet grass and rushes to 3000ft, the argo is definitely more able and safer on this type of ground.

Polaris quads are good enough machines, but it's really irritating having the Hi-Lo-N-Reverse lever on the right hand side, i.e, same side as thumb throttle. If it's a cold morning and you're blipping the throttle to keep it running, you need to be a contortionist to get it into gear.

well polaris !!!!!!!! on my 3rd now first was crewcab and it was ****. had to trade in after a year as it kept bracking down had new engine and bits.
2nd and 3rd are 6x6. give them threr due they are good at doing what you want them to do. but they are swines of things at breaking down the latest one has had engine and gearbox replaced shockers and new speedo. also trade in price was shocking 18 month old got a quote for a new and offered 3grand for mine so depreciated by 7 and a half grand in 18 month. the machine was clean and tidy very regulary serviced as it was always in getting repaired when it broke down.
I have 3 Hondas as well and they are great never a problem. only reason we have polaris rangers is they get bme to my pheasant and partridge drives with all the feed.
I hear Honda maybe bringing there 4x4 utv to the uk next year and will definatly get one as Honda reliability is second to none. but until then I will keep taking the polaris back to the dealer to get repaired.

My experience with Polaris is not very good I'm afraid , using them 24 hours a day whilst night lambing and it was a continual pain in the ass , basic things like not starting to things as bad as the transmission dropping to bits . I was pleased to see the back of my Polaris ranger and will not have one again . The last time it let me down I nearly lost 4 lambs to hypothermia due to the inability to bring them in . I think the Polaris are more designed for gold
​f courses etc .

Now use a John Deere gator XUV , almost twice the price . As always , there's normally a reason .

Bloody hell. Not what I was expecting to hear.
Had a lot of interest of some local farmers in the area.
The Polaris has a big market. From country life/sports but also festivals or site work. A lot of people look for the machine to do different things.
Thanks for the feedback
Alan

We have 3 on the estate, and love them. We sold the John Deere + the Kubota. Great machines. They just need to make a decent silencer muffler...

Yes I have thought about it but I have a lot of rock higher up and I worry that tracks may not be able to handle it. I do have a large winch and a land anchor which goes with me, I've only got bogged twice this season and as long as you know your stuff it only takes a couple of mins to get out again but I would never have got out with out spending hours with a spade.
And yes I am on the north west corner.
Andy

Hi Andy. Are you right at the top of Scotland.
Have you ever thought of putting tracks on the ranger. This should sort out that problem out.
Cheers
​alan

Yes I have thought about it but I have a lot of rock higher up and I worry that tracks may not be able to handle it. I do have a large winch and a land anchor which goes with me, I've only got bogged twice this season and as long as you know your stuff it only takes a couple of mins to get out again but I would never have got out with out spending hours with a spade.
And yes I am on the north west corner.
Andy
Is that Paula or hope. I am sure I have heard zubes speak about you. How have you got on with the stags this year.
I will have a look at some different tracks and do some research on what is best for rock.
Is it the 6x6 or the 4x4 you have
alan

Back