Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a policeman by trade. I am very aware of the frailties of the force- so please don't tell me about them!

Here is the deal: All over the East of england we are plagued by poachers. Typically they drive in from out of area and Lamp deer. They are shooting a lot of them. 20+ per night. They are driving all over the ground and tearing it up. Intelligence suggests that a single crewed nights officer stopped a car on nights. The car was suspected of being involved in poaching. The driver stabbed the bobby. that was in cambridgeshire.

The police are ruled by stats. "If the calls aren't recieved- then it's not happening" so they don't deploy people to the rural areas becuase the stats aren't there. So we all need to get it's profile raised. If you have poachers on you YOU MUST PHONE IT IN TO THE POLICE AND ASK FOR A LOG NUMBER. This way it will be counted. If you find wheel tracks all over your beat that have been made the same applies.

The same deal with the guys illegally coursing.

It might seem the police aren't interested..... remember the person you speak to might be a town living person who knows nothing about the countryside and might be a minimum wage employee. Please keep phonong them in.

Hell we pay a lot of council tax, we need to start to use the systems in place to get the cover we deserve.

l live in the east of England and l called the police out a few months back when l had poachers running the deer on the ground that l am a part time keeper on, after watching the buggers for an hour the boys turned up only to say that the force chopper was out of action and the best they could do was have a drive around with the blues on and hope it was enough to send them on their way, on another occasion l had the hare coursers pay me a visit and after waiting 2 hours they sent out a wpc, nothing wrong with sending a wpc but when faced with a group of coursers what could she of possibly done to stop them or even arrest them.

Correct me if l am wrong but does each force have a wildlife officer who is trained to deal with any form of wildlife crime and if so how could you go strait to horses mouth so to speak do they have direct numbers or do you have to go through the control desk.

HI steve
    Me & a mate were out lamping one night when we stumbled accross 3 lads with a shot gun & lamp. After some very careful thinking we called the lads over. (they finally came after nearly 10 mins of calling) I locked my rifle in the back of my landy & used my lamp to find there position. I kept the lamp on them at all times to keep a watchful eye them as they approached me. We asked if they had permission to be on that piece of ground (knowing full well they didnt as im the only shooter on there) & they replied yes they did. They couldnt produce written evidence so we asked them to leave , which they did. I recorded the reg of there vehicle & passed this onto the farmer who also said they did not have permission.
    The problem i am faced with is the fact that my local station is not manned at night so if i had called the police they would of had to attend from the derby branch some 20min drive away & probably would of been lucky to of actually seen them within the hour (at no fault of there own)
    We have seen this vehicle about on numerous occasions around the area but have been informed they need to be "caught in the act" by the local police for anything to be done about it
    Where do we stand in this situation
    Its all well & good reporting this type of incident but if nothing can be done then were obviously wasting our time
    Ok so there probably after the odd rabbit or something but in my eyes if there on land they shouldnt be on & carrying a firearm then they have committed an offence
    I have not witnessed any poaching of wild deer on my land apart from one of our captive reds that was shot with a crossbow last year at night
    They sent the firearm squad out in the morning who then proceeded to walk around the farm looking like a SWAT team on manouveres long after the crime had been committed & the criminals were tucked up in bed

I think Swamp is making a very good point. If the crime isn't reported, as far as the stats are concerned it never happened.

The police might not be able to do anything about it this time around, but more resource might be allocated in the future.

Had a problem last November on my shoot, Plod could not care less.

Had Gyppo's running dogs at hare with lamps and a roe was shot with a 22rimfire. Pheasants being shot from their roost, again with .22

Staked the place out ourselves every night for a week or more, and our presence made them sod off. We also made a visit to the local Gyppo camp, and warned them off.
    Plod, waste of time, too busy pestering lawful gun owners and working out ways to put even more paper work between us and our sport.

poaching reporting

no not all forces have a wildlife officer, mine being one of them. It managements eyes - why should they- there aren't the calls for service. what area are you in?

Poddle and steyr,
    You are right in what you say which is why YOU MUST report these incidents and raise the profile of the problem. How can you complain when you know that in order to get a better response you need to keep phoning in. In order to make the "couldn't care less" attitude change it must be a countable stat.

We as individuals hold the key to inproving the service to rural areas. to getting the rural stations manned at night.

As for deployment of female officers, A female officer is equally trained to a male officer. If the force sent out a male officer instead of a female they would be guilty of sex discrimination.

Well done Swampy! I to get fed up with the police, but it is up to us to make the Government and Police listen. The Gypo site adjoining the area I stalk get regular visits from the Police I'm glad to say. Unfortunately they cannot be there all the time!

We all need to help the law to catch these poacher scum! This forum can help to do that. If you see anything that's not right post it! The same thing may be happening on your neighbour's land.

Re: poaching reporting

Quote Originally Posted by swampy
    no not all forces have a wildlife officer, mine being one of them. It managements eyes - why should they- there aren't the calls for service. what area are you in?

l am in cambridgeshire very near the suffolk border not far from newmarket, l have ground in both counties, incidently when ever l call in an incident l always ask for a incident no l take it that it is the same as what you call a log no.

Yes a log number is an incident number- if you ask for one then the complaint has been on the computer and it is auditable and will be counted.

If we don't tell em, they won't know...simple as that. If we want more and better policing of poaching we have to make the crimes known. More power to your elbow Swampy.

While we're on the subject of reporting poachers lets also not forget the scum bags who are poisoning and shooting our raptors...every red kite or eagle they show poisoned on the telly is another nail in the coffin of fieldsports. There's no need for it, it's old thinking. Report them. Be they keeper or crofter, farmer or shepherd it's legit fieldsports which gets the blame.