Torch

Dan Newcombe

Im after a torch as the nights draw in.

Basically for doing a bit of everything but also id like one that has a tightly focused beam, enough to use as a lamp when necessary.

Dont really want to spend as much as the Night Master.

Looking more for something similar to the LED Lenser M7 / M7R (in fact im going to go for that if no one strongly advises there is something better! (that is a similar size, price etc)

Thanks

Have a look for an Ultrafire C8. Cheap as chips and give you about 100 metres of good light. Plenty of them on ebay or amazon

HM Coastguard teams are issued the Bright Star LED Razor torch, they are brilliant, we rarely use the bigger rechargeable lamps now as these do the job. They can be bought for about £40. Use 3xAA batteries which seem to last forever.

Cree501B. Or go for a T6 or LMled torch from the bay. Couple of 18650 batteries and a charger. The T6 and Lm are focusable from wide to tight beam.
If its for shooting get the 501b and add an ahorton aspherical lens to it for 200yds easy.

Google Cree 18650, eBay is full of LED torches.

I got mine for £20, it took a week to arrive from Hong Kong and is awesome. The only downside is like most of the ones I've seen it has 5 modes which means you have to cycle through all the modes each time you turn it on. That said it's not too much of a faff and for the price I don't know how you could beat it.

Although the build quality is not quite as good, the beam is much better (more powerful and more focused) than the LedLenser P7 I've got which cost £60

Jim

Google Cree 18650, eBay is full of LED torches.

I got mine for £20, it took a week to arrive from Hong Kong and is awesome. The only downside is like most of the ones I've seen it has 5 modes which means you have to cycle through all the modes each time you turn it on. That said it's not too much of a faff and for the price I don't know how you could beat it.

Although the build quality is not quite as good, the beam is much better (more powerful and more focused) than the LedLenser P7 I've got which cost £60

Jim

​What make & model is it?

I don tlike the way you have to flick all the modes when you turn them off / on. I never need a strobe so why would i want to have to go through it every time!

What about the felix ones?

Tight / Focused beam is the most important, do those Brightstars have that or do they have a wide beam?

I have had a Fenix Tk for years excellent small compact torch, faultless. However purchsed 2 from HongKong for £20 as per recommendation from Singing Stalker and they are the Bees knees, cannot understand why people shell out ridiculous ammonts for "brand" when by the looks of things they all come from China probably same factory under different brands.

Get a Surefire charger, and Torchy rechargable batteries and you are all set up.

£30 should cover it all.

D

A modified T20, takes a single 18650 battery. clamp on the scope or as some do, under a shotgun.

View attachment 33030

this is mine, the bigger one i have cut down and made it into a smaller hand spotter, the one on the scope i have remade the insides so it runs on red, i have one on orange as well but the red is all i use now on foxes.

there was no way i was going to shell out on an over priced NM800 when one can be made for a heck of a lot less.

Sunwayman t40cs just got this from amazon uk posted from china for 53 quid arrived in just over a week it's the best torch I have by far beam reaches out a genuine 300 yds love it. 5 stars from me. I see its no longer available at that price and is now £78 jeezz I was well lucky getting it a the former price.

who on here did re configs on the cree leds? I recall a thread about how to make a red torch from basic ones on ebay, then put some aspherical lens in it?...

ok, sounds great, but can't be f'd...what I'm hoping is some wonderful member of the forum will for a nominal additional charge buy and build me one. ie. a small 1" body tube (for raised scope mounts) led in red with the asph...lens and with a remote push switch which can sit on the front of the stock. looking for something which I can have sitting on top of the scope in a figure of 8 style scope mount for when I'm foxing using the quad,,ie. using the clu-lite to search when driving about, then switching to the scope mounted system over the shooting rail for the 'business' part. probably needs to reach a clear 200yds for my needs.

can ANYONE help?? LOL

remote switches are a pain as they catch on things and never where you wont when you want.
easier to turn torch on and set up, then a 1/4 turn on the tail cap to turn off/on.
one in hand as a spotter, do the same with the tail switch, when needed you hold it up to side of head and push up on the tail cap with thumb. turns light on. no click to spook things.

I have PM'ed you.

who on here did re configs on the cree leds? I recall a thread about how to make a red torch from basic ones on ebay, then put some aspherical lens in it?...

ok, sounds great, but can't be f'd...what I'm hoping is some wonderful member of the forum will for a nominal additional charge buy and build me one. ie. a small 1" body tube (for raised scope mounts) led in red with the asph...lens and with a remote push switch which can sit on the front of the stock. looking for something which I can have sitting on top of the scope in a figure of 8 style scope mount for when I'm foxing using the quad,,ie. using the clu-lite to search when driving about, then switching to the scope mounted system over the shooting rail for the 'business' part. probably needs to reach a clear 200yds for my needs.

can ANYONE help?? LOL

can ANYONE help?? LOL

try giving this bloke a go he might help you out and he isn't that far from you ir.light.builds@gmail.com
Al

Myself and Neil (Hornet 6) both use an ultrafire bought from ericthered off here. Great bit of kit, I just added a Tiablo A9 anti-spil tube to mine to keep the beam narrow and focused.

ATB

Matt

can ANYONE help?? LOL
PKL - talk to Limulus on here re: his recent thread on this subject. As an unashamed capitalist and generally all round good guy, I'm sure something can be sorted out. I believe MarkyB (or a similar moniker) is also something of a whizz at these things

Last edited:
Back