30mm vs 1 inch tubes

TASR12

All,

In my ignorance can someone please explain to me the difference between a 30mm and 1inch tube on a scope. I'm looking to update the 6x42 Swarovski on my rifle and am thinking of something like an 8x56 S&B with illuminated reticle. It will be going on a Sauer 200 just for info.

Thanks in advance,

T.

Light gathering power will be the same if the eyepiece and objective are lens are the same size. Chief advantage of larger tubes is more adjustment, so if you need to zero at 1,000 yards you will need one.

Thanks for that, so it's just adjustment. But at ranges of 0-300m does it make that much difference?

TSR12, to a large extent, these differences are just custom and practice. US scopes are normally 1" and Euro scopes are 30mm. However, the Euro makers also made smaller fixed power scopes in 1" (25.4mm) and also 26mm - watch out for these.

In theory, the 30mm scopes give some advantage in strength, field of view, and adjustment range. For normal stalking practices at UK ranges, these differences are irrelevant.

Buy the scope you want, at the best deal you can get, and forget the trivialities.

Claret_Dabbler said:
TSR12, to a large extent, these differences are just custom and practice. US scopes are normally 1" and Euro scopes are 30mm. However, the Euro makers also made smaller fixed power scopes in 1" (25.4mm) and also 26mm - watch out for these.

In theory, the 30mm scopes give some advantage in strength, field of view, and adjustment range. For normal stalking practices at UK ranges, these differences are irrelevant.

Buy the scope you want, at the best deal you can get, and forget the trivialities.

Totally agree with this advice. One thing that might be worth thinking about is, if you have a number of rifles, it may be worth sticking to one tube diameter so you can move scopes around if the need arises. Also, I will repear my favorite piece of scope advice - go for quality over spec every time. JC

Claret_Dabbler said:

Totally agree with this advice. One thing that might be worth thinking about is, if you have a number of rifles, it may be worth sticking to one tube diameter so you can move scopes around if the need arises. Also, I will repear my favorite piece of scope advice - go for quality over spec every time. JC

Back