Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What CF Calibre for fox & rabbit

What CF Calibre for fox & rabbit

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated rifles for night use but want a CF rifle that I can use mainly for fox but which can also be used on rabbit, but leaves the rabbit still edible. I have recently started home loading, so the option of a fox load and a change to a rabbit load would be ideal. I have read that the .22-250 is a good calibre that offers a very flexible load. I have considered .22 hornet but apparently is harder to home load than .22-250 ????
    Also thinking best to stay away from SH 22-250 as unknown use and barrel wear?

Any advice or experience welcome

if your going to muse any CF for rabbits you will need to head shoot only and it will make your rabbits expensive if you want a rabbit gun get a cheap 22 rimmy.
    as to foxes anything in 224 cal flavour will do you,I would opt for a 22.250 as I used to own one but you will get all manner of advice from people who use different calibers.
    a to buying a used 22.250 as long as you have the bored inspected don't worry about as you could be passing up a bargain through listening to shop counter talk.

Years ago all that were used was the .222 excellent for rabbits, crows, foxes

Another vote for the .222.

+1 for the 222 good with light loads

any thing les than a .300 rum simply wont stop them

on a more seroius note have a look at a .22 hornet
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Hi I have a 223 and a 22 hornet. I love the hornet and am thinking of selling my 223. The Hornet is easy to reload for 13grains of LIlGun and either 35vmax of 40 grain Sierra sp.
    I shot Rabbit with the hornet makes less of a mess than the 223 but you still need to head shot.
    ATB Multiman

Plus one for the mighty hornet. Swapped my 222 for a hornet and not looked back. 35gr and 40g vmax both shoot equally well.

Get what feels best for you. What about a .204 or .20TAC/PRAC?I'd stick the small end If the calibres if you want to take rabbits, and foxes with a heavy grain bullet. At the end of the day a rimfire will kill a if with a good shot placement, all C/F's will take a fox, again with careful shot placement.

Ihear te hornet is a sidle to reload for just waiting for a nice one to come along to fill an empty slot