6.5x55 ammo. Target and hunting

deerly departed

I am looking for suggestions for likely accurate ammo for a Tikka T3 6.5x55 Swedish in Super Varmint.
It is a 600mm barrel with a 1:8 twist.

I am looking for a hunting round for short to medium ranges maybe longer.

Generally I prefer head or neck shots so ballistic tips are the general preference.

A hunting round for engine room is not a bad idea so some sort of soft-point.

Then long range target so a FMJ........

So what do people with Tikka's find works in their rifle please........

Thanks in advance

Ok, so I have a Sako not a Tikka, but it has a 1:8 twist as well and I use reloaded 140gr Hornady SSTs, and they are super accurate...

100yds prone yesterday:
3 rounds...
1 click up. 2 clicks right
2 rounds...

View attachment 33050

I only shoot heart & lung, and these drop them into their shadow

I used Fusion 140gr SPs originally, and they grouped just as well, but I wanted the extra "ooomph" of the SST, with a BT at the pointy end.

Long range target - try 140gr A-max - or just use the SSTs as they look the same :D

Cheers
iain

Berger 140 VLD Hunting Bullet for your Stalking and Berger 140 VLD Match for the Range. Only difference being thinner Jacket on the Hunting Bullet. They look identical.

Yorkie.

You say 'round' as opposed to bullet, so am going to suggest the 140gr Powershok from Federal. It's SP Moly.
They shoot very well through my Sauer 202s, comparable to reload levels I would say staying sub MOA to 200m.
No knowledge of a suitable target round.

Last edited:
I was using 120gr nosler ballistic tips. Puts everything down, no runners and gave touching groups however if it strikes a rib it can be a bit messy.
I have started some new loads in the 120gr barnes ttsx which should have good put down power, no shrapnel in the meat and, should a beast run, leave a good trail for the dog to follow.

I was using 120gr nosler ballistic tips. Puts everything down, no runners and gave touching groups however if it strikes a rib it can be a bit messy..

Agree, I switched to Federal because the Nosler's were 'catastrophic' in my opinion, not easy to miss a rib in the engine room!

140gn Moly Coated Soft Point Federal Powershoks, used them for years through my 6.5x55 Mannlicher very accurate & good knock down capability.

Chris

Ok, so I have a Sako not a Tikka, but it has a 1:8 twist as well and I use reloaded 140gr Hornady SSTs, and they are super accurate...
Cheers
iain

Doesn't matter whether it's a Sako or a Tikka. They wear the same barrels, made in the same factory, on the same hammer forge. Tikka and Sako are differnt brands, slightly different products (actions) and both owned by Beretta.

-JMS

You say 'round' as opposed to bullet, so am going to suggest the 140gr Powershok from Federal. It's SP Moly.
They shoot very well through my Sauer 202s, comparable to reload levels I would say staying sub MOA to 200m.
No knowledge of a suitable target round.

Sorry - to qualify - I am looking to home load so it would be the bullet only not the completed cartridge.

Factory ammo is always useful to know about though so thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter whether it's a Sako or a Tikka. They wear the same barrels, made in the same factory, on the same hammer forge. Tikka and Sako are differnt brands, slightly different products (actions) and both owned by Beretta.

-JMS

Yup, I know that but it's always worth clarifying as the OP might not...

Good point though, and thanks for confirming as I should've it done m'self

Back