Vehicle Mounted Night Vision/Thermal

Eric the Red

I was wondering whether any members either have or are thinking about having NV or Thermal mounted in their vehicles on a Lightforce handle type set up or similar, viewing on a screen in the cab.

I came across the Samsung SCB-9050 recently and I guess it could lend itself to this type of use. Anything to sit in the comfort of the cab rather than be out in the cold/wet....!!

Any prompts/suggestions/guidance gratefully received in this emerging area of shooting.

IMHO you'd be better off rigging a handheld unit for the task. They only cost around 2k mark and you can use as handheld also.

Pulsar units with tripod attachment point and built-in video out would be easy to plug into small display, e.g. portable telly that sell for less than 100 Euro/Pound.

IMHO you'd be better off rigging a handheld unit for the task. They only cost around 2k mark and you can use as handheld also.

Pulsar units with tripod attachment point and built-in video out would be easy to plug into small display, e.g. portable telly that sell for less than 100 Euro/Pound.

This is exactly what I am planning to do when the new Pulsar HD38S comes out.

I have looked at thermal CCTV cameras many times but the decent spec ones are really expensive when compared to the handhelds and are not as versatile.

OK - so the principle stands. More research needed as to how weatherproof etc a handheld would be in that use. I'm trying to avoid pigging about with taking things on and off etc. - all time, noise, inconvenience......

I shall look to adapt my current unit to sit on a LF mount and see where I go. One of the attractions of the other unit is that it is powered, so movement via joystick or whatever. As an ex-demo model, it would appear to be good value (about half that of the HD38) and the spec is also good. I guess it will largely depend on the land one is on and what is then used once a target is spotted.

Thanks chaps.

Snds like a good plan to me as its annoying you can use thermal through glass when sat in the truck

I use a Pulsar 750 recon mounted to a Lightforce suction mount roof bar with a Deben Remote Handle Illumination comes from an NM800IR that is switched on/off by the built in switch on the remote handle. AV cables connect the Pulsar to a 7" monitor sourced off Ebay.

I can scan fields for foxes in seconds easily & covertly & can identify Foxes easily out to 600-700yds. It's also great for sitting & waiting at baiting points.

Those who who have seen it in action have been very very impressed.

All the kit except the 7" monitor can be bought direct from Scott Country & I would imagine Paul would be able source/provide a Monitor should you desire.

Last edited:
Back