Just Bought a Tikka M65 - Any Other Owners on here?

Toxster

New (to me), it's virtually unused and I will get a chance to shoot it next Sunday. My first centrefire and I'm very excited.

Any other M65 owners on here? I'd like to reduce the trigger weight a tad, but don't want to remove it from the stock or do anything too tricksy. I think they are 1.5-2kg from factory and they say not to take it lower than 1kg.

It's a lovely light rifle in .308 and comes up to the eye very naturally.

Very happy. :DIMG_3792.jpg

Last edited:
No need to remove it from the stock to reduce the trigger weight. Simply remove the magazine and adjust by the screw that is accessible inside the magazine well.

Have a look here http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm or on the Sako/Tikka website for old model manuals.

Last edited:
New (to me), it's virtually unused and I will get a chance to shoot it next Sunday. My first centrefire and I'm very excited.

Any other M65 owners on here? I'd like to reduce the trigger weight a tad, but don't want to remove it from the stock or do anything too tricksy. I think they are 1.5-2lb from factory and they say not to take it lower than 1kg.

It's a lovely light rifle in .308 and comes up to the eye very naturally.

Yes. I have two in Lefthand. The lighter one is in .308, but in the Deluxe stock whereas yours is in the standard stock. It looks about mid-1980's production. The .308 was also available in the more common and lighter M55 short action with the 3-shot stacked magazine.

They handle better than the later M595/M695 series. The trigger is adjustable in situ as 8x57 says, but I've never needed to adjust the trigger on any of my Tikka's. They have super triggers, and the weight proved just right for me.

I'll have a look for that trigger screw tomorrow, though the trigger isn't heavy - probably 1.5lbs. My browser won't let me into Stevepages as it has a security fit....I did though find the exploded views if not an actual manual on the Tikka website.

Any ammo preferences? The PO said it likes Remington Accupoint 165gr, but I could only get hold of Norma 150gr ballistic tips. I'll be doing most of my shooting with Bisley's best fmj at 50p a pop, then re-zeroing using the expanders before trips.

I have an M65 continental in 270. It is an excellent rifle with a very good trigger. I have adjusted the trigger and found that on my rifle 1.5 lbs was as light as it should go and remain safe. I subsequently set it at 2 lbs which is my preferred stalking rifle trigger weight. My rifle is not fussy about which bullets I use. I don't use factory but most of my handloads will be MOA or much better. It is a good rifle so enjoy.

Any recs for trigger scales? My club does have a min weight restriction so I guess I should conform. I imagine a stalking rifle also needs to be drop-safe so super light triggers are out, which is fair. I now see the use for a set-trigger though.

As Andy has said above it should be impossible to reduce the trigger pull below what Tikka determined was a safe limit. They are excellent triggers on the M65 and there is normally no need for a set trigger. If yours is heavy or generally poor it is worth remembering that these rifles were last made in the early 1980's, so it's probably worth having it checked and cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Oh no, nothing wrong with the trigger, the rifle is immaculate. Just that my background is .22 Match rifles, so I'm making the muscle/psychological adjustment to a sporting set-up. Having shot a few cf rifles now, this has the crispest action yet.

One of the best Tikka rifles made. As for the trigger please leave it alone! This is a hunting rifle not a match 22 they are chalk and cheese and a centrefire with a light trigger in the ounces is a recipe for disaster.

look after it and it should appreciate in value or don't look after it and any custom gunmaker will take it just for the excellent action.

​Good luck

You are so right, I am struggling not to fiddle.... One thing that will change is that it has a polymer "Quake" sling attachment. This will be changed asap for a regular metal jobbie. I now have the sling adjusted to bollock achingly tight as I like the arm twist thing with the sling.

Just need to fire the thing! Next Sunday is range day....:eek:

Hi all. I am about to purchase an used (obviously...) Tikka M65 in cal. 6,5x55. I found it in Sweden, an old man is selling all his guns. He could tell he bought it new, but he almost never used it. From pictures, it seems to be a M65 De Luxe. The stock has some parts of rosewood, separated by a white stripe. I have been trying to find out when this rifle is produced. But i haven't succeeded in finding out anything. I even sent a mail to Sako. They did not have any info. I have tried to post in forums like this in Norway without getting any replies.

"All" hunters in Norway claims that the M65 is the best rifle ever produced by Tikka. I have a Tikka T3 also, but i am really excited to get this M65.

But my main question; is there anyone who could help me finding out approx when the rifle was produced? The serialnumber is 650-689xx

You are so right, I am struggling not to fiddle.... One thing that will change is that it has a polymer "Quake" sling attachment. This will be changed asap for a regular metal jobbie. I now have the sling adjusted to bollock achingly tight as I like the arm twist thing with the sling.

Just need to fire the thing! Next Sunday is range day....:eek:

The "arm twist thing" can deflect the foreend in a sporting rifle and touch the barrel varying the harmonics a bit. Might be worth getting someone to check while you are holding it.

David.

Last edited:
Hi all. I am about to purchase an used (obviously...) Tikka M65 in cal. 6,5x55. I found it in Sweden, an old man is selling all his guns. He could tell he bought it new, but he almost never used it. From pictures, it seems to be a M65 De Luxe. The stock has some parts of rosewood, separated by a white stripe. I have been trying to find out when this rifle is produced. But i haven't succeeded in finding out anything. I even sent a mail to Sako. They did not have any info. I have tried to post in forums like this in Norway without getting any replies.

"All" hunters in Norway claims that the M65 is the best rifle ever produced by Tikka. I have a Tikka T3 also, but i am really excited to get this M65.

But my main question; is there anyone who could help me finding out approx when the rifle was produced? The serialnumber is 650-689xx

I may be able to narrow this down. From all the info. I've got the M55 & M65 models were produced from 1979 to 1989, the first M65 Serial No. I believe was 49865.
Prior to 1979 the M65 was called the LSA65 (virtually identical) but was stamped as such. The 1979 M65 models had the same reverse sloping forend like the LSA65 but this changed to a rounded shape (like the M695 & T3) around 1982 or 1983.

The closest serial no. to yours (S/N 69488) I have a picture of is a M65 Deluxe in .30-06 complete with rosewood cappings (to butt, pistol grip, and forend) & slanting white line spacers. This has a ventilated recoil pad which I think yours will have too. I mention this point because after S/N 80xxx (year unknown - but suspect 1986) a solid rubber recoil pad with the Tikka trademark was fitted. Both of my M65 Deluxe's (S/N 895xx - Feb 2008 & S/N 933xx April 1989) are fitted with these.

These somewhat sketchy facts might help you date the rifle. I'd estimate it was made late 1983, or sometime in 1984. Hope you enjoy it. ATB.

Hi and thanks for taking time to answer. I will ask the guy who is selling it to me again, maybe he can recall when he bought it. Its not very important to know, but would be fun. Here is a picture of the rifle i'm about to buy. I think its a nice rifle, from a time when quality meant something.tikka_m65.jpg

Mine is 785xx and has the ventilated pad if that helps.

Just noticed a typo in my post - the year should be 1988

Both of my M65 Deluxe's (S/N 895xx - Feb 2008 & S/N 933xx April 1989) are fitted with these.

The M558/M658 replacement appeared late 1989, so any former model Tikka M55 or M65 is getting on for 25 years old. Nevertheless mine still shoot as well as any T3 they're pitted against. That's not due to my shooting ability, but they just fit like a glove. If the user is familiar with them that maybe adds a small edge. :oops:

Back